EUIV - Development Diary - 28th of January 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Groogy

Fossilized Platypus
140 Badges
Sep 4, 2009
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sengoku
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hey again! So I know the last development diary I said that the next one wouldn’t be coming until 4th of February, and if you check your calendar it is still not yet 4th of February. However we’ve gotten to a point of 1.30 where we feel we can more regularly provide development diaries again. So for this one I will be visiting an old favorite though before we dig into new features that are going to be coming with the upcoming expansion and patch. Features made just to make the game simply better, quality of life.

I will warn you though, a lot of the UI you are about to see is very much work in progress and is not representative of how it will look upon release.

upload_2020-1-28_9-30-53.png

First up we’ve made information about other countries' military strength more readily available to the player. It has always been possible to discern this information in the ledger, and it will still be available there, but we’ve also now placed it in two interfaces that you might look at a bit more often. First is the Diplomacy View where below the usual information you can discern of a country. Here it will list specific the land forces and the naval forces fielded and last the manpower of the country.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-20.png

Then we have the War Declaration view, this one is a bit more complicated. It will sum up the infantry, cavalry and artillery of each side that will be called in to the war. The last column is the full amount of forces deployed and the amount of manpower available to that side. You can see the breakdown of these numbers for each called nation by hovering over each number.

These values are hidden if you are playing with limited or locked ledger in multiplayer. But they will show up if you have infiltrated administration in a nation. In the case of the War Declaration screen it will show incomplete numbers but also warn you of this unless you have infiltrated every member of the opposing sides governments.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-37.png

Next is a little handy thing just to help you pick your rivals a little bit better. Each option when picking your rivals will now highlight if that country has also picked you as their rival.

upload_2020-1-28_9-31-53.png

We’ve made endgame tags optional now. You can turn it off in the options before starting a campaign. It does however invalidate achievements.

upload_2020-1-28_9-32-21.png

Last thing is on events that affect a specific location in the world. We’ve added some nifty buttons, these will take you directly to the province that the event is concerning. Making it a lot easier to get a grasp on what you are getting where. Image shown here is an example with a banner in the top which will be used for if the entire event affects a single province while the one on an event option is for if there’s a difference between the options.

I also want to update you on that since last dev diary I and Johan have listened to responses and based on that feedback done some balance changes. Courthouse and Town Hall reduces governing cost -25% and -50% respectively. We've added State House which uses a manufactory slot and gives -20% governing cost and -5% minimum autonomy on entire area with double effect on provinces of paper, gem or glass. They can only be built one per area. Merchant Republics and Prussian Monarchies penalties are now based on Governing Capacity instead of amount of provinces. They will also as a base have less Governing Capacity available to them.

We've also changed the requirements for making a province part of Trade Companies, there are no longer any religious requirements, it only requires the province to not be in your super region. This means Russia can make Siberia into a TC if they so want to. Their autonomy penalty have been changed to 90%, however they have only 45% production efficiency loss from autonomy and no penalty on naval FL. Propagation of Religion available to Muslims have been limited to anywhere but Europe.

That’s it for today's dev diary. Next one will come next week and will be written by Johan about a new upcoming feature part of the expansion focusing on making conquest more rewarding.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Fantastic set of QOL changes here! :)

Merchant Republics and Prussian Monarchies penalties are now based on Governing Capacity instead of amount of provinces. They will also as a base have less Governing Capacity available to them.

Can we get a "generic" version of the Prussian government much like States General is a generic version of Dutch Republic? Militarisation + Aztecs with full Nahuatl reforms and EoC would be something to behold.

Because as the option says; it makes the game easier.

It's a lot easier to do things like WC by chain-tagswitching between countries with powerful mission trees for permaclaims and other bonuses everywhere.

Just like you don't get achievements for playing below Normal.

Yeah, Aragon -> Spain (culture shift to get Spanish missions) -> Scotland -> Great Britain would be insane.

Emperor in the HRE gets the Emperor rank while they are Emperor.

Question on the changes to merchant/prussian monarchy mechanics?

Weren't you supposed to play these governments tall? It's not too difficult to hit 20 dev/province or 30 dev/province, especially if you limit your expansion and coring costs, but this will still quickly push you over the limit I assume.

Also, is it nessisary to essentially double nerf them by also giving them less max governing capacity, so to sit at 1000 as prussia you'll both sacrifice the militarization, but also get other negative effects, whereas before you weren't forced to keep militarization.

But Novgorod (for example) starts with 21 or 22 provinces, so they literally can't state all of their provinces without taking penalties.

How will charter TC work with the new TC mechanic? Will you be able to charter trade companies anywhere and will the AI be able to handle this? I'm worried there might be random Papal States trade companies popping up in the middle of siberia

Charter Trade Companies should be restricted to requiring Expansion Ideas IMO.

One more important note, as was mentioned in the last Dev diary. The reason for continent and religion was so that Mamluks couldn't trade company Arabia.

But Mamluks aren't in the same Superregions so wouldn't still still be a similar issue?

This could be solved by splitting Africa into multiple superregions and having Egypt part of the Arabia (or now MENA) superregion.

@Groogy: Does that mean one can script area effects for buildings now? Could you show a code example? Because I implemented area effects for court houses for my mod as well and it would be lovely if such things were easier to implement now.
And does it also mean that the state house can only be built once per area?

Nope, I just created a "State wide" variant of the modifier that the building uses.

One of the problems with a state-based reduction in governing cost that is built on a province level is that players will have to look through their area lists in the macrobuilder to ensure that they do not build more than one per area the first time around. How do you plan to ensure that players will be able to tell which areas do not have any governing cost reduction building present?

It blocks you from building more in one area, so it is not really a problem

What if I conquer a province that has the building present when I've already built one in the same state?

The system will automatically purge one of them as the trigger becomes invalid

Holy moly, it's that easy? That makes me wonder why so many forum suggestions were ignored until now.

Not everything is that easy, this was though something I could just do over my lunch break essentially.

How about getting an option to select which fleets to use for automatic transport? That is one of my biggest UI frustrations.

You can specify what fleets you want to be allowed for automatic transport. Or do you mean something else?

The OP said that the developers have gotten "to a point of 1.30 where we feel we can more regularly provide development diaries again". By this and people's experience here, what is the best estimation as to when this patch and the new expansion will come out?

Given La Resistance is out next month and Federations still doesn't have a release date, April/May is my guess.

The coders felt a bit jealous comparing that to their usual coder art I am afraid