• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 28th of April 2020

Good morning! Those of you who have been watching the dev clash with a keen eye will have noticed that a new religion has appeared on the map, emanating from the Kingdom of Bohemia. Today I’ll talk about the Hussite faith and its associated content, as well as the new mission tree for Bohemia coming with the Emperor expansion.

hussite_1.png

The Hussite faith may now experience a resurgence.

The Hussites were in many ways a precursor to the Protestant Reformation. It was a very broad movement encompassing both moderates who merely wished to reform the Catholic Church and radicals who denounced the Church entirely in favour of strictly Biblical authority. Jan Hus, the leader of the movement and its namesake, was executed as a heretic in 1415, sparking a series of conflicts known as the Hussite Wars which lasted until 1434. This was not the end of the Hussites however, as the wars ended in an uneasy agreement between the Church and the moderate Hussite faction, and many people in Bohemia still believed that Jan Hus knew the truth.

In our 1444 start date, Bohemia begins with several Hussite provinces, but retains its Catholic state religion. Early in the game the Return of the Hussites event will fire, which gives Bohemia the opportunity to elect Jiri z Podebrad, a Hussite noble, as King. This event chain has been reworked to allow for three outcomes:
  • Bohemia adopts a Hussite state church and permanently breaks with Rome
  • The Hussites and Catholics reconcile, causing the remaining Hussites in Bohemia to revert to Catholicism. This is the path the AI will usually pursue.
  • Bohemia pursues an aggressive policy of Catholic orthodoxy and strives to convert the remaining Hussites to win the favour of the Pope.
When the Protestant Reformation begins, Hussite nations will be given the choice of whether to retain their unique Hussite faith or convert the nation and all Hussite provinces to Protestant instead. Hussites are only eligible to become Emperor under the Religious Peace.

hussite_2.png

The Adamites were a curious sect that believed that church services should be held entirely in the nude. Note: numbers are not final

The Hussite faith uses the Church Aspects mechanic, much like Protestant nations. Hussites get an entirely unique list of Church Aspects to distinguish them from Protestants. We’ve aimed to make these Aspects, as well as the base bonuses of the religion, relatively powerful to offset their diplomatic isolation. And of course no rework of Bohemian content would be complete without a button to enact Regular Defenestrations. Here’s the full list in script for those curious:

Code:
clerical_poverty_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        church_influence_modifier = -0.1
        stability_cost_modifier = -0.15
    }
}

punishment_of_sins_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        nobles_influence_modifier = -0.1
        yearly_corruption = -0.05
    }
}

orphan_hetmans_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        shock_damage_received = -0.1
    }
}

bread_and_wine_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        tolerance_own = 1
        global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.05
    }
}

sola_scriptura_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        warscore_cost_vs_other_religion = -0.1
    }
}

adamite_services_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        culture_conversion_cost = -0.2
    }
}

pacifism_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        stability_cost_to_declare_war = 1
        improve_relation_modifier = 0.3
    }

ai_will_do = {
        factor = 0
    }
}

regular_defenestrations_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        harsh_treatment_cost = -0.33
    }
}

taborite_resurgence_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        global_manpower_modifier = 0.2
    }
}

freedom_to_preach_aspect = {
    cost = 100
    modifier = {
        religious_unity = 0.1
        tolerance_heretic = 1
    }
}

hussite_3.png

This is the new Bohemia mission tree, available to owners of the Emperor expansion after the release of 1.30. The upper left branch concerns the matter of the Hussites in Bohemia. The requirements and rewards change depending on which path the nation takes through the event chain. One notable reward is that if Bohemia becomes Hussite and breaks with Rome, a Hussite Center of Reformation will spawn in Prague upon completion of the Hussite Resurgence mission. To avoid an overwhelmingly non-Catholic Europe (as we’ve seen in dev clash), we’ve decided to make this CoR last only 100 years rather than until the end of the Age of Reformation.

At various points in the not-so-distant past, the Kings of Bohemia held prestigious titles such as Holy Roman Emperor, King of Poland, and King of Hungary. The majority of the Bohemian mission tree is aimed at regaining these titles and cementing a dominant position in Central Europe and the Empire, and rewards include powerful Restoration of Union CB’son Poland and Hungary. With Hungary under the Bohemian heel, they must contend with the greatest threat to Christendom: the Ottoman Turks. Bohemia is able to subjugate both Brandenburg and Saxony, keeping them as subjects without the usual penalties for subjugating electors if they are able to first Humiliate Austria. The Reformatio Sigismundi mission requires Bohemia to become the Emperor and pass the Perpetual Diet reform, which then rewards you with a 20% bonus to Imperial Authority Growth. The final mission in the Imperial branch, Peace in Europe, requires you to expand the borders of the HRE to 250 provinces while being at peace, and rewards +1 Monarch Diplomatic Skill as well as -5 Years of Separatism for the rest of the game.

That’s all for this week! The dev diary schedule for the next few weeks is content-focused, with next week’s dev diary being about the Burgundian Inheritance and their shiny new mission tree. So stay tuned for more mission trees and other associated content. And remember to catch the weekly Dev Clash every Wednesday at 15:00 CEST at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive. If you can’t watch the stream, the vods are posted on youtube later. Go Milan!

• 29Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Why on Earth are Adamite church services an option for Hussites when historically, the Hussites hated the neo-Adamites and attempted to wipe them out? Is there some connection between the Adamites and the Hussites that I'm not familiar with? Because from what I know that option makes no sense.
Seems, Adamites should rather be a heresy of Hussites then?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think at this point protestantism should be renamed in EU4.
Or you know they could just give the remaining... what? four protestant countries? (Sweden, Denmark, Prussia, and Saxony, and even then Prussia is sort of Protestant sort of reformed) Anyway give the remaining protestant countries their own state church religions and be done with it. It's not like half the stuff in the protestant religion isn't based on English Protestantism anyway (not to mention reformed is very very based on English puritanism).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,
i have one thing witch you could chage Slovakia culture should be in West slavic group, because its mutch more like czech or moravian, not Hungarian.
Thanks for considering this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hello,
i have one thing witch you could chage Slovakia culture should be in West slavic group, because its mutch more like czech or moravian, not Hungarian.

Actually calling Slovak people to be Hungarian, or Upper Hungarian is considered a slur (or joke among friends).

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,
DDRJake actually mentioned a few months ago they will change it but it seems they either forgot about it or changed their mind. Or maybe they just had different priorities. Slovak and Hungarian are in one culture group probably just so they wouldn´t rebel against Hungary since a serious Slovak effort to become independent began in the 19th century as a reaction to Magyarization (suppression of minorities) and increased Hungarian nationalism. Before that, they lived together peacefully. But yeah, it would make more sense for Slovak culture to be part of West Slavic group. When it comes to unrest, they can simply be an accepted culture.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Slovaks were historically very loyal to the Hungarian state, they considered Hungary to be their homeland, even in 1918. Up until the creation of Czechoslovakia, the prime Slovak politicians (like Milan Hodža) were trying to negotiate the autonomy within the Kingdom of Hungary, but it is also necessary to point out that while they were very loyal to the country, there was a strong feeling of anti-hungarian resentment because of the Magyarization laws and repression (not opression) of the Slovak culture, but all of this began in the 19th century, so it is out of the EU VI's time frame.

Despite all of this, it would make much more sense for Slovaks to be placed in the West Slavic culture group. Hungarian language or culture had historically next to no impact on Slovaks, the customs and traditions are different and there are very few Slovak words which originated in the Hungarian language. On the other hand, Hungarians were largely influenced by the Slavic nations of the Kingdom (Slovaks, Rusyns, Croats, Serbs). Afaik, around 20% of the Hungarian vocabulary has its origins in the Slavic languages and nowadays, 3 out of top 5 most widely used Hungarian surnames either have Slavic origin or refer to Slavs. (Tóth = Slovak, Horváth = Croat, Kovács = Smith).

Slovaks should be in the West Slavic culture group but remain as an accepted culture in Hungary for the entire timeline of EU IV.

the remaining... what? four protestant countries? (Sweden, Denmark, Prussia, and Saxony, and even then Prussia is sort of Protestant sort of reformed)

That count is just a little off:
1. Sweden
2. Denmark
3. the Duchy of Prussia (secularized Teutonic Order)
4. the Duchy of Kurland (secularized Livonian Order)
5. Riga
6. Pomerania
7. Mecklenburg
8. Lübeck
9. Bremen
10. Hamburg
11. Holstein
12. Oldenburg
13. Lauenburg
14. Anhalt
15. Goslar
16. Saxony
17. Brunswick/Hanover
18. Lüneburg
19. Thüringen
20. Ansbach
21. Bayreuth
22. Nürnberg
23. Frankfurt
24. Aachen
25. Württemberg
26. Ulm
27. Baden (the Baden in EU4 represents Baden-Durlach. not Baden-Baden)
28. Regensburg

...and I quite certainly forgot some. Having a "State church of Regensburg" religion in EU4 would be funny, but probably not quite desirable ;)
"Protestantism" represents the state churches in Germany and Scandinavia based on the Confessio Augustana.
Anglicanism is a state church too, but theologically, it is a middle ground between Catholicism, Lutheranism and Calvinism.

Reactions:
It's always "delayed" nowadays. Just don't expect a concrete time, just that it comes tuesdays. If you want to play save, just check in wednesdays.

Thanks to time travel, I may already tell you, what will be in today DD:
1, Slovak move into West Slavic group
2, New Tag Kievan Russia with cores on Moscow
3, Korea can release North Korea with "divine emperor" reform and ruler with "Immortal God" trait
4, Denmark get modifier "LEGO" increasing building speed and improve relation +20%
5, Scotland get diplomatic insult on Sweden because Jake is not working there anymore
6, Sweden get Restoration of union on Scotland for same reason.

• 7Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That count is just a little off:
1. Sweden
2. Denmark
3. the Duchy of Prussia (secularized Teutonic Order)
4. the Duchy of Kurland (secularized Livonian Order)
5. Riga
6. Pomerania
7. Mecklenburg
8. Lübeck
9. Bremen
10. Hamburg
11. Holstein
12. Oldenburg
13. Lauenburg
14. Anhalt
15. Goslar
16. Saxony
17. Brunswick/Hanover
18. Lüneburg
19. Thüringen
20. Ansbach
21. Bayreuth
22. Nürnberg
23. Frankfurt
24. Aachen
25. Württemberg
26. Ulm
27. Baden (the Baden in EU4 represents Baden-Durlach. not Baden-Baden)
28. Regensburg

...and I quite certainly forgot some. Having a "State church of Regensburg" religion in EU4 would be funny, but probably not quite desirable ;)
"Protestantism" represents the state churches in Germany and Scandinavia based on the Confessio Augustana.
Anglicanism is a state church too, but theologically, it is a middle ground between Catholicism, Lutheranism and Calvinism.
It certainly doesnt have to be this complicated. But the current state where Hussites, Reformed or Anglicans loose electorships and are unable to run for the Emperor when there is Protestant Empire certainly makes no sense. I mean they are all protestants, just different denominations. Why not make it so that all the Protestant religions are counted as Protestant, it would make much more sense than the way it is now. Historically speaking there never even was any "Protestant religion", it was a broad movement split into many different churches, and while there is no need to have them all in the game, it would make sense to change Protestant to Lutheran, which became kinda the main stream of the Protestant movement, and leave Protestant as umbrella term for all the Protestant denominations.

Reactions:
It's not called Lutheran because it isn't necessarily founded by a German with the surname Luther.

(And "Calvinist" is even worse, since to the extent the Reformed church tradition has a founder, it was Zwingli, not Calvin.)

Last edited:
Hussite is looking like the first thing I try when I get my hands on Emperor

Awesome re-work of Bohemia, Cant wait to play! The church aspects are nice, the CoR is great but what makes me really excited are the missions, building on not-so-distant history. Finally, they make it so rewarding to play Bohemia. Could you publish some more details on them, especially the Commonwealth and finisher against the Turks?

Couple more ideas on how to expand the Hussite chain of missions that seems to be rather short:
  1. Jan Hus wanted to reform the church, not break away from it. The new CoR will spread his ideas and convert surrounding provinces. If the Hussite faith becomes dominant in Europe ( or in HRE or overcomes Catholic in number of provinces) - with active help from the player ;) - could there be a mission or decision to "heal the schism"? The effects could be for example: Hussite faith becomes Catholic again, Catholic faith turns Tolerance to heretics from -1 to +1, Prague gets permanent seat of a cardinal/pope and excommunications are banned?
  2. The Hussite king Jiri z Podebrad was considered by many a master diplomat. In order to get out of diplomatic isolation, he sent envoys to major European courts, even proposed an idea of European congress (ahead of it time) to resolve conflicts and prevent wars. This could be represented in game by calling a special imperial diet. If he succeeds, could this be reflected in his stats? (DIP +1)
  3. The exclusion of Hussite path from emperor seat seem to be rather restrictive for many players if limited to uncertain and faraway Religous Peace outcome. Could a skillful player to circumvent it by a chain of missions like those above? Surely the HRE would look weird when 90% of states share Hussite faith but no one of them can become an emperor, while the office of emperor is artifically limited to some Catholic weirdo, eh?
  4. Since the Hussite faith was a precursor to reformation, could the spread of Hussite faith accelerate the reformation? For example, each province converted gains "Reform desire +1%", so that reformation appears in 1400s rather than 1500s.
Great work on Bohemia so far!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Bohemia gets military bonuses through the Hussite faith, but by default it's geared towards a more diplomatic/imperial playstyle.

hello, just came here to see the nitty gritty as I'm currently doing this run. The fact that you can't push for a Hussite HRE can make playing as Hussite seem broken. It's like you thought up the religion half-way but didn't follow through. I've been force-converting princes in the HRE for some years now, and Protestantism has formed - I understand the trigger for the league war is to have a Protestant elector. However, the half the electors are Hussite and half are Catholic in my current game. You're telling me the Hussites would be OK with this, and wouldn't push for a league war just as the Protestants did? There is no option for me other than trying to spawn Protestant rebels in one of the electors which seems so gamey to me.

It seems odd you made an expansion with new religion, specifically in the HRE and gave little thought to how the actual gameplay of it would be. How can Hussite Bohemia be geared towards a diplomatic/imperial playstyle, as you've said here? I have to find some weird way to even spawn the league war just because I've spread the Hussite religion so well that it overshadows Protestantism. And even then I have to hope for religious peace, and there's no guarantee since I can't ensure the peace deal goes my way....

Reactions:
hello, just came here to see the nitty gritty as I'm currently doing this run. The fact that you can't push for a Hussite HRE can make playing as Hussite seem broken. It's like you thought up the religion half-way but didn't follow through. I've been force-converting princes in the HRE for some years now, and Protestantism has formed - I understand the trigger for the league war is to have a Protestant elector. However, the half the electors are Hussite and half are Catholic in my current game. You're telling me the Hussites would be OK with this, and wouldn't push for a league war just as the Protestants did? There is no option for me other than trying to spawn Protestant rebels in one of the electors which seems so gamey to me.

It seems odd you made an expansion with new religion, specifically in the HRE and gave little thought to how the actual gameplay of it would be. How can Hussite Bohemia be geared towards a diplomatic/imperial playstyle, as you've said here? I have to find some weird way to even spawn the league war just because I've spread the Hussite religion so well that it overshadows Protestantism. And even then I have to hope for religious peace, and there's no guarantee since I can't ensure the peace deal goes my way....
Because as a hussite player you're meant to flip to protestant if you want to make it international rather than localised faith. The hussitism in game is more Taborites, by clearly breaking from Rome rather than seeking an accord

Reactions:
Because as a hussite player you're meant to flip to protestant if you want to make it international rather than localised faith. The hussitism in game is more Taborites, by clearly breaking from Rome rather than seeking an accord

Many hussites wanted to solve this papacy/kaiser issue. Just different factions had different opinion.
Thirty years war was started by Bohemian followers of chalice, and idea that it requires prostestants is probably wrong. They exists even today, in mostly Atheistic/Agnostician Czech Republic.

It seems odd you made an expansion with new religion and gave little thought to how the actual gameplay of it would be.
I mean, thats exactly what they did with Anglicanism in Rule Britannia. I don't see how are you surprised by this. Religion has always been the most shallow part of Eu IV.

Yeah, Hussite makes no sense whatsoever, especially now that they have removed basically all of its military potential by getting rid of both 10% ICA bonus and 10% reduction to shock dmg received church aspect. Going through this thread and seeing the hype people had for Hussite kinda makes me angry at Paradox. I mean they hype up Hussite with some powerful bonuses in their posts and in the dev clash and then they completely castrate the religion right on release...

Here I made more recent post about it, so if anyone wants to read it, or comment on the topic there, fell free to do so. Perhaps we can still save Hussite, the way it is now is just really sad.

Last edited:
Yeah, Hussite makes no sense whatsoever, especially now that they have removed basically all of its military potential by getting rid of both 10% ICA bonus and 10% reduction to shock dmg received church aspect. Going through this thread and seeing the hype people had for Hussite kinda makes me angry at Paradox. I mean they hype up Hussite with some powerful bonuses in their posts and in the dev clash and then they completely castrate the religion right on release...

Here I made more recent post about it, so if anyone wants to read it, or comment on the topic there, fell free to do so. Perhaps we can still save Hussite, the way it is now is just really sad.

And this is why you don't buy immediately after release. :(

Reactions: