EUIV: 1.30.3 Austria is now Live! (checksum 8406) - Not for problem reports

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since Paradox is uncomfortably silent on the matter, I will turn to this fine audience for the answer.

To those who have played the latest patch, is the AI still swimming in debt, or is the game playable now?

• 1Like
Reactions:
- Fixed bug where it wouldn't give full payout in gold peace treaty

:(

Shift + LMB doesn't work as designed. It adds more money then they are willing to accept.

Edit: or less money. It just adds random amount of money. Shift + RMB is also broken.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
So AI still will be drowning in debts? I'm playing only on VH difficulty, but this doesn't help. In my current campaign Ottomans have almost 5k debt by 1530 year. Last time they wage war was about 50 years ago. Actually, the only major in sight, who are waging active wars is Mamluks. The others just sits or help some of their minor allies to beat other minors, but they don't do anything for themselves. Dead world isn't really fun to play.
It seems like we are getting closer to the point when EU4 is worth playing again . . . but the chronic debt and bankruptcy of countries great and small basically paralyzes countries and makes alliances worthless. Dynamic countries and reliable alliances are crucial to having a balanced game, so EU4 will have to stay on the shelf for another week. I hope EU4 will be good enough to play again on the 1-month anniversary of the patch/DLC. I will wait and see.

seeyoulateralligatorltblue_fullpic_artwork.jpg

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
From looking at the script, as I understand it, the Emperor needs to be the nation sending the peace deal.
What about wars where the Emperor faces Italian co-belligerents?

For example, Emperor Austria initiates a war against Venice and its allies Milan and Florence. If Austria wins the war, will the co-belligerents Milan and Florence be considered "reined in"? Do Milan and Florence need to sign separate peace deals, or can one all-encompassing peace deal with Venice be enough to trigger the modifier? Will it only count if Milan and Florence are specified as co-belligerents at the outset of the war (meaning they can call in their own allies to defend them), rather than if they respect a call-to-arms in defense (meaning they can't call allies)?

I can say that in my 1.30.1 game, Italian co-belligerents defeated by the Emperor were not considered to be "reined in" afterwards - neither the countries that were specifically marked as co-belligerents who could call their allies into the war, nor countries who were simply respecting a call-to-arms.

So many unanswered questions.

I just feel like resources have been misallocated and the devs focused on minor things instead of major bugs (except for peace deal money) like the AI being always in debt and never answering calls to arms because of this. Yes, that would take more time than editing a few lines of code but just think how situational something like fixing an Ansbach event or a few British/Spanish missions is.

So instead of providing a bunch of ALMOST useless minor, easy fixes, I’m pretty sure most people would be fine if the 1.30.3 changelog had just two lines:

- Fixed a bug in AI logic that caused them to go into massive debt
- Fixed Peace treaty to enforce peasant republic on others

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I just feel like resources have been misallocated and the devs focused on minor things instead of major bugs (except for peace deal money) like the AI being always in debt and never answering calls to arms because of this. Yes, that would take more time than editing a few lines of code but just think how situational something like fixing an Ansbach event or a few British/Spanish missions is.
Let's unpack this:
  • "AI won't push through the entire council of trent in one day anymore" - Presumably C++ engine code. Something a lot of people were complaining about on the forum, and a fault in a major feature of the new release.
  • "Added missing icon for governing cost modifier" - Art/Scripting.
  • "Added DLC check to support independence agenda" - Scripting.
  • "British and Spanish missions that require passing an HRE reform are now updated for Emperor" - Scripting
  • "Burgundian mission fallback will no longer join hre if it doesn't exist" - Scripting
  • "Fixed Ansbach succession event requiring wrong ruler for Ansbach" - Scripting
  • "Fixed Bohemian mission requiring wrong rival when PLC exists" - Scripting
  • "Fixed CTD that can happen when AI was working with an agent that only consisted of mercs" - C++ engine code. In my world, leaving a known, reproducible CTD unfixed when it's reasonably fixable is a Bad Thing. (Particularly if there can be a significant distance between the point in time where the CTD becomes inevitable and the point in time where it actually happens, such that the game blows up after having been autosaved with its data in the killer state.)
  • "Fixed OOS that happen if you have negative seperatism in a province." - C++ engine code. OOS in multiplayer is one of the more noticeable causes of thermonuclear ragethreads on the Paradox, and leaving a reproducible OOS unfixed when it's reasonably fixable is thus a Bad Thing.
  • "Fixed Peace treaty to enforce peasant republic on others" - Scripting
  • "Fixed duplicate mission id's in script, which was causing some mission art to display incorrectly" - Scripting. Duplicate IDs in your scripts are a Bad Thing.
  • "Fixed no loc for Hussite Traditions event for non-Hussites" - Scripting/Localization
  • "Fixed no tier 3 gov reforms for rev empires without emperor dlc" - Scripting
  • "Fixed some development agendas picking non-state core provinces" - Scripting
  • "French Auld Alliance mission no longer requires the British country to be independent" - Scripting
  • "Hotkey for Attach army no longer overlaps, it is now 'h'. You might need to reset hotkeys through the new manager to make it work" - Not sure where the work was done, but this was really annoying people, even if it did have a simple workaround.
  • "Italian nations must now lose a war to the Emperor to be considered reined in for Shadow Kingdom, rather than losing any war" - Not sure where the work was done, but this is a fix to a core feature of the latest release.
  • "Lubeck mission can no longer grant a CB against Norway if it doesn't exist" - Scripting
  • "Pope should now always be Catholic when released as a vassal" - Probably C++ engine code, fixing an advertised feature of the new patch (namely, that it should be impossible to get a non-Catholic PAP, but they missed a way for this to happen). Maybe not very important, but if it was a quick fix, then it's a way to boost your morale by saying to yourself "I fixed a thing", which hopefully means you'll be more enthusiastic about fixing the next thing.
  • "Updated location of Genoa trade node for All Your Trade achievement" - Sounds like scripting.
  • "Fixed bug with how scaling reform desire modifier was applied" - Probably C++ engine code. This was a non-trivial flaw in an advertised feature of the new patch.
Most of those scripting fixes were probably done by people who don't know how to fix the C++ engine code. If they weren't working on those fixes, they would not have been working on C++ engine code. They would have either (a) not been working on anything at all due to being ill or on holiday or (b) been working on new content while there were known, reproducible, readily fixable bugs waiting to be fixed in existing content.

The debt bug could be many things. Given that they didn't fix it in this hotfix, it's probably not just "oops I broke an if() statement and now the AI doesn't understand it can repay loans".

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello Grommile,

Noup. The third one. The sole numbering adopted by PDX proves it (1.30.3 as opposed to 1.30.2). More importantly, pls see the MP organized by PDX just prior the Emperor's release on June 6 & 7, and, in this respect, how the relevant modifiers were nerfed just in 2 days (e.g. relating to Hussite religion).

Respectfully,
Mariusz

Reactions:
Why are buttons + and - (for zoom/dezoom) not hokey-able? My current mouse wheel is dead and i'm waiting for a new mouse, but in the meantime i'm playing EU4 now that peace deals gold is fixed... and i would love to put shortcuts to mouse buttons 4 and 5 for in an out of zoom. But I can't.

And why are mouse buttons not recognized at all? left, right and middle click, I get it... but additional buttons for mouses who have it?

What about AI Economy?
I am currently in a prussia campaign and my allies never Join my wars as they keep beeing like 2000 ducats in dept.
Does anyone else have this problem?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What about AI Economy?
I am currently in a prussia campaign and my allies never Join my wars as they keep beeing like 2000 ducats in dept.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Its en Emperor DLC problem. So play without it and it should be much better.

Reactions:
Its en Emperor DLC problem. So play without it and it should be much better.
I think the AI debt issues are associated with the free patch 1.30, rather than the Emperor DLC which was released alongside it. So disabling Emperor won't help. Some features that the AI currently has difficulty managing (e.g. mercenary companies) are associated with the free patch and not Emperor, for example.

Aside from waiting for a hotfix/patch which resolves the issues, the only other options are:

- Experiment with modding to improve the AI economy. I've heard of some folks improving the AI economy by disabling mercenary companies altogether, for example; there are a lot of interesting ideas in the forums. Unfortunately, this approach is not Ironman-compatible.

- Rollback to EU4 version 1.29 while waiting for the AI economy to be fixed in the current version. This would mean losing out on the various other features and QOL that were added in 1.30, though.

Reactions:
The only workaround I could come up with, while being far from ideal, allows to play almost normally, is to give yourself cash and make gifts to every major nations who have debts. Of course this isn't Ironman compatible and a bit cheesy as it improves your relations in an unfair way. However if you are fair you give money to both your allies and enemies to maintain balance, no need to do it too often, only when the situation is frozen.

Reactions:
make gifts to every major nations who have debts.
if you look at people's posts you'll see this isn't working

the AI thinks there is some infinitely superior use for money compared to paying off its debts

• 1Like
Reactions: