• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2619)

First Lieutenant
Apr 3, 2001
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm very very very happy to read about the next version of EU, IMO the best ever strategy game. But one statement in the announcement got me very worried about: I means when Paradox says: "At the same time focus has been put on making it easier for casual strategy fans to get into this game".
I'm very very afraid this statement will be translated in a less complex, less deep game, maybe much more focused on graphic. The few screenshots I saw seem confirm this impression. I saw tonws with different kind of buildings, with an interface very very close to games like CIV or Totalwar series (shogun, medieval, Rome). The problem for strategy fans is that those kind of games are far thousand and thousand miles from traditional Paradox games, but of course their market is considerable bigger.

I hope Paradox will confute my first impression by the facts and will not take the easy and sure profitable way of mainstream games: there are already too much software house that develop such games

Depaz said:
Hi guys, I'm very very very happy to read about the next version of EU, IMO the best ever strategy game. But one statement in the announcement got me very worried about: I means when Paradox says: "At the same time focus has been put on making it easier for casual strategy fans to get into this game".
I'm very very afraid this statement will be translated in a less complex, less deep game, maybe much more focused on graphic. The few screenshots I saw seem confirm this impression. I saw tonws with different kind of buildings, with an interface very very close to games like CIV or Totalwar series (shogun, medieval, Rome). The problem for strategy fans is that those kind of games are far thousand and thousand miles from traditional Paradox games, but of course their market is considerable bigger.

I hope Paradox will confute my first impression by the facts and will not take the easy and sure profitable way of mainstream games: there are already too much software house that develop such games
Errr....the what?

There have been no screenshots released.

There have been no pictures of the interface released.

Are you sure you were looking at a review for EU3?

Edit: or maybe you are looking at the concept art stuff and mistaking that as being the "final look" of the game. If that's the case, remember that there is a *very* big difference between concept art and what stuff looks like in the game.

We haven't been shown any screenshots yet, only concept art.;)

As for the complex thing: You have been around here long enough to know better. Paradox will never become what you describe.:) A more intuitive and easier to grasp game would only be of the good! I love the Paradox games, but I know loads of people who I know would love this game too, who don't, because the game was too hard to learn for them. So they moved on. I'm confident that Paradox is capable of making both a complex game and a more intuitive game, they have proven themselves time after time the last years.:)

You can always trust Paradox.They wouldnt turn their backs on us,their loyal followers.If they make game too simple they risk losing their old loyal fans with new kids who most likely get a new simple game after week or two.

MrT said:
Errr....the what?

Edit: or maybe you are looking at the concept art stuff and mistaking that as being the "final look" of the game. If that's the case, remember that there is a *very* big difference between concept art and what stuff looks like in the game.

Yes, I meant concept art and I know the interface can be different. I told mine it is just an impression (due to concept art and aboveall to that statement in the announcement) and of course I'm sure Paradox will confute it by developping another wonderful game (or at least, this is my hope) :D

I think we shouldn't worry about EUIII, it'll be the best strategy game of the year (As EUII) and we'll all love it. Nothing can goes wrong, Johan cannot permit it.

I do not think the quote translates to dumbing down, but an easier interface, tutorial, etc.

MrT said:
Errr....the what?

True but convept art if its the one chosen is a heavy basis for actual design. People don't like to make things from scratch as it takes more time.

These concept arts are basically/largely concept arts for things that are already in EU2 take a look around at the city views for different countries and take a look at the armies you move.. ;)

From what I interpreted from those pics they released... The building are used like in EU2 where, when you click on a province the screen that shows up on the left side that illustrates your city. This is the buildings that they show go. Since there are no new buildings in their shots they are either leaving the choices the same or they aren't releasing "new" stuff because it's still being decided what will be added.