EUIII OscAARs, VictAARian Cross, CrusadAAR's Chalice, Golden CaesAAR & Iron HeAARt

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Now that the first six months of 2006 have passed, it is time once again for the VictAARian Cross which has been going strong since the beginning of the game. RossN's 'The Patriot's Sword': The Republic of Canada was our most recent Gold VictAARian Cross winner so another congratulations to him. The nominations round has begun for the latest award which will be seen in a poll near you in September.

And just before that, we will see the return of the EUII OscAARs, long on hold but ready for a new life. Now, there is a slight problem in EUII in that over two years of work has been skipped. But I hope to rectify that in the coming months. I figure it would be best to go ahead and have a poll for the past six months, and then return to the previous work. This will allow us to relive some fond memories of work long past finished and sent to live on page 28.

And a quick word about the other games - HoI has a tradition of these bigger awards, but CK has never held such a contest. As much as I would like to see that change, I simply do not have enough time to handle these for all of the games. However, I will say that any enterprising soul that does have the time and energy to tackle these would surely have my support and whatever assistance I could provide. Simply send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Now with all that said, I'd like to see some participation by the entire group in these polls if at all possible. The numbers in Vickie were climbing in the next to last poll but they dipped heavily this last go around. I do not know if EUII will readily jump on board with this either (but the nominations have already begun.) Hopefully, by adding a thread here in the main hall, we might see some people head over to both EUII and Vickie and get involved in the nominating process and then add their vote once the polls come around.

So make sure to stop by the EUII OscAAR nomination thread and suggest a nomination for the OscAAR poll running in August, and then head on over to the VictAARian Cross nomination thread to include your nomination for the VictAARian Cross poll running in September. And most of all, enjoy reading through some of the best work done on the forum since January of this year. To me, that is the most valuable reason to have these contests - to highlight work that may have been forgotten and bring it back to mind for just a little while...or maybe longer if it wins. ;)

I'm glad to see that the VictAARian Cross has become a regular thing now. I hope the OscAARs will be as well. It feels quite strange, going for months (years?) without one of them...

Just a reminder, if you have not done so already - make sure you read the first post above and head over to both EUII and Vickie today to cast your nomination for the EUII OscAARs and the VictAARian Cross! :D

I'll be sure to cast a vote. Vicky is always a good spiritual home.

Just in case some forgot or never saw the message - there is less than a week left to nominate your favorite for EUII OscAAR glory. Make sure to head to the EUII area and include your nomination today.

And the Vickie Cross nominations will end soon after, so head that way as well. Links are in the first post above.

Also - if you don't get around there often enough, you may have missed that CatKnight has started up the project in CK. Right now he is gathering ideas for what to call the award and taking ideas on which order to look at completed work. Soon, he too will be taking nominations, so make sure to head to CK and see his thread. Make sure your voice is heard. And you might also include a thanks to CatKnight for getting that ball rolling. :D

And the CrusadAAR's Chalice is now open for business! Please stop on by and nominate someone today!

The name of this thread has been changed to include CatKnight's efforts in Crusader Kings. We can use this thread for reminders/announcements, especially as the rest of the year is going to be pretty busy in at least EUII and CK.

I have already started the nominations thread for the older EUII AARs in the EUII AAR subforum. Head that way to see the listing of eligable works and include your choice of nomination now.

The schedule as it stands now looks a little something like this:

August - EUII OscAARs Jan. to June 2006

September - EUII OscAARs Sept. to Dec. 2003, VictAARian Cross Jan. to June 2006, CrusadAAR's Chalice Jan. to June 2006

October - EUII OscAARs Jan. to June 2004

November - EUII OscAARs July to Dec. 2004

December - EUII OscAARs Jan. to June 2005

January 2007 - EUII OscAARs July to Dec. 2005

February 2007 - VictAARian Cross July to Dec. 2006, EUII OscAARs July to Dec. 2006, (and presumably) CrusadAAR's Chalice July to Dec. 2006

That will bring things current. I imagine that CatKnight might try and hold contests for some of the back-logged CK AARs during the rest of the year, but I will leave that decision up to him.

And if some enterprising soul wishes to run such a contest for HoI, then I will gladly include them on the schedule as well. It promises to be a busy rest of the year. Not even included in the above schedule would be the likely ACA contests in October and January, so all in all, we should have plenty of diversions and recommended reading on our hands. :D

The first new OscAAR poll has been posted for Best Completed AAR - January 2006 to June 2006. Head over to the EUII AAR forum today and cast your vote! :D

A reminder - voting is heading down the final stretch for the EUII OscAARs for January to June of 2006. Head over to the EUII AAR area and make sure you have added your vote before the voting ends on the 31st! The race is almost as tight as the ACA voting.

And a heads up - The VictAARian Cross and the 1st round of the Ye Olde EUII OscAARs gets under way at the beginning of September, so keep an eye out for that.

Finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank CatKnight for getting the nominations going for the CrusadAARs Chalice in CK. You can look forward to that coming up in the very near future as well (presumably also in Sept.) and I am excited to see the inaugural race. Hopefully you will be too and show that support with your voting numbers. :D

Last chance to vote for Best Completed EUII AAR for January through June 2006. Go here to cast your vote before the poll ends tonight.

And keep watch for a full slate of awards coming soon in September. :D

Wow! Two well-regarded stories vying for first place within one vote of each other! :eek:

Rensslaer

Congratulations are in order to Farquharson for taking the gold in the most recent OscAAR contest. Head over to the EUII area to offer your kind words in that thread.

And the EUII OscAAR Redux poll for Best Completed AAR, September to December 2003 is now up. Follow the link and cast your vote.

As well, the latest VictAARian Cross for Best Completed AAR, January to June 2006 is also up and running in Vickie so head that way to cast your vote.

I have not heard from CatKnight in a while, so I am not sure what is happening with the newly annointed CrusadAARs Chalice, but I assume we'll get that going very soon. Keep an eye out. :D

EDIT - Link Fixed

Last edited:
Thanks for catching that, Veld. :)

CrusadAAR's Chalice Update
EDITTED:

The voting for CrusadAAR's Chalice: Best Completed AAR January-June 2006 has begun. Voting will be going until September 30. Please cast your vote!

Here is the current schedule for CrusadAAR's Chalices, to catch up on the older awards and bring us into line with the EU2 and Vicky awards:

September 2006:
* Voting for January - June 2006 (as above)
* Nominations for Early 2004

October 2006:
* Voting for Early 2004
* Nominations for Late 2004

November 2006:
* Voting for Late 2004
* Nominations for January - June 2005

December 2006:
* Voting for January - June 2005
* Nominations for July - December 2005

January 2007:
* Voting for July - December 2005
* Nominations for July - December 2006

February 2007:
* Voting for July - December 2006

Last edited:
Just wondering but, why doesn't HOI2 have any voting?

Hey, Hannibal! I can probably answer your question.

On July 29, coz1 wrote:
And if some enterprising soul wishes to run such a contest for HoI, then I will gladly include them on the schedule as well.

I haven't heard of anyone stepping forward, unless they contacted the moderators directly. Organizing one of these 'OscAARs' is a bit labor intensive, because you have to skim *every single AAR* to determine what's eligible, and if so in what time frame.

Realistically, whoever stepped forward for HOI1/2 would have a chore ahead of them for the simple reason they have a lot of writers and AARs.

Given coz1's statement in July, I think it's safe to say that if anyone wants to try and pull it together he'd be happy to help them set up. Personally I'd love to see it!

CatKnight said:
Hey, Hannibal! I can probably answer your question.

On July 29, coz1 wrote:

I haven't heard of anyone stepping forward, unless they contacted the moderators directly. Organizing one of these 'OscAARs' is a bit labor intensive, because you have to skim *every single AAR* to determine what's eligible, and if so in what time frame.

Realistically, whoever stepped forward for HOI1/2 would have a chore ahead of them for the simple reason they have a lot of writers and AARs.

Given coz1's statement in July, I think it's safe to say that if anyone wants to try and pull it together he'd be happy to help them set up. Personally I'd love to see it!

Oh, I'd try to help organize but I don't have the time.

CatKnight said:

That's exactly right. I'd love to see HoI get in on the action, but someone with the time and desire to get on that project will need to step up to the plate. So far, I've not heard from anyone willing to do so.