• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SpectaSilver991

Private
Jan 24, 2022
Hello there! My Eu4 suffers from slow speed and stutters. I have not suffered these issues before, as the game would run fast, with little slowdowns, even in late game.

The funny part of this issue however, is that there will be periods, even days where my Eu4 runs super smooth, even running heavy mods like Ante Bellum and Beyond Typus, but then the next few days it cannot even run the base game without experiencing heavy stutters. I have tried many methods, unfortuntely finding none for this. Therefore I request assistence.

Below is my DxDiag file.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    94,7 KB · Views: 0
Does this problem happen right at the start of a campaign, or does it maybe only happen later in the game or maybe only in some campaigns and then stops later?

Did you check if your CPU and its integrated GPU run at their full speeds when you have the problem? And did you test if other CPU or GPU intensive games are also slowed down on the days when you get the stuttering in eu4? Before I reinstalled my system last year, I sometimes had the issue that my CPU would limit itself to 800 MHz (instead of the usual maximum of 2500 MHz) till I restarted the system(disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable would sometimes help for a little while). And this also resulted in a very low performance. It could also be that your CPU gets too hot and then slows down.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Does this problem happen right at the start of a campaign, or does it maybe only happen later in the game or maybe only in some campaigns and then stops later?

Did you check if your CPU and its integrated GPU run at their full speeds when you have the problem? And did you test if other CPU or GPU intensive games are also slowed down on the days when you get the stuttering in eu4? Before I reinstalled my system last year, I sometimes had the issue that my CPU would limit itself to 800 MHz (instead of the usual maximum of 2500 MHz) till I restarted the system(disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable would sometimes help for a little while). And this also resulted in a very low performance. It could also be that your CPU gets too hot and then slows down.

Happens right at start. I have tried other Paradox games like the new Victoria 3 and CK2 recently, and they work smoothly. The issue exists only for EU4

Andrew I am unable to send files as a reply because your spamfilter is convinced I am some spambot. So I had to workthrough it.

Temperature before playing: 32c to 37c

Temperature after 10 minutes: 58c to 64c

Also, I am able to run other PDX games like the new Victoria 3 and CK2 smooth and fast without worries. This stutter and slow speed exist only for EU4

Attachments

• system.log
    5,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    156 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    323 bytes · Views: 0
It's hard to understand why EU4 sees this and CK2 does not - they are very similar under the covers.

But if this has only just happened, Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders - In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, NOT any existing one.

Is that any better?

It's hard to understand why EU4 sees this and CK2 does not - they are very similar under the covers.

But if this has only just happened, Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders - In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign, NOT any existing one.

Is that any better?

I have tried a clean reinstall as per instructions. Played without any mods a brand new game and I face stutters and slow speed.

The funny part of this, is that for a few days, my game runs very smoothly. It can even run major mods like Ante Belluma dn Beyond Typus into late game without loss of speed. Then the stuttering happens and continues for some days. Then again it will run smooth, then once again stutters. It just can't decide if it wants to be smooth or give me problems.

I have tried in both Victoria 3 and Crusader Kings 2, and this situation does not exist, even after weeks of playing.

This smells of a Windows or hardware problem to me, although why only this game I cannot say.

Make a new Windows user on this machine and log into it with that. Do you still get that same pattern?

This smells of a Windows or hardware problem to me, although why only this game I cannot say.

Make a new Windows user on this machine and log into it with that. Do you still get that same pattern?
I made a new user, and the issue persists.

Could it really be a Windows/hardware issue? Becase I recall CK2 and EU4 share similar versions of the clausewitz engine, yet CK2 gives me no problems and runs like a charm.

Did you ever try ck2 and vic3 immediately after exiting a stuttering eu4? And if they had no problem, did you exit them again and try eu4 again to make sure that changing games didn't just randomly coincide with a change in your system from stuttering to not-stuttering?

Did you ever try ck2 and vic3 immediately after exiting a stuttering eu4? And if they had no problem, did you exit them again and try eu4 again to make sure that changing games didn't just randomly coincide with a change in your system from stuttering to not-stuttering?
Ok, I gave this a try, and nope. Vic3 and CK2 work fine while Eu4 stutters. I even gave some time before switching games. Perhaps something in the log files may give a clue on why I suffer from the issue?

GTA 4 was another game where I suffered this same phenomenon. Sometimes it ran smoothly, and sometimes crawled like a turtle.

Hello there! My Eu4 suffers from slow speed and stutters. I have not suffered these issues before, as the game would run fast, with little slowdowns, even in late game.

The funny part of this issue however, is that there will be periods, even days where my Eu4 runs super smooth, even running heavy mods like Ante Bellum and Beyond Typus, but then the next few days it cannot even run the base game without experiencing heavy stutters. I have tried many methods, unfortuntely finding none for this. Therefore I request assistence.

Below is my DxDiag file.
I legit have the same problem but for me it has been about 1.5 months and Idk what to do anymore

hey i also have the same issues as @SpectaSilver991 and i have a good pc, speed 5 is so slow and sometimes it gets smooth and then slow idk why i already reinstall it but its worse then 1.34 and i even use a mod to remove natives and still its lag and tickrates kinda remind me of 1.32 performance what is going on? i already post on this forum and also facebook forum for eu4 and some people have the same issue! it starts right in the begininng date are you going to fix it in upcoming patches @AndrewT ? because 1.35 is slower then 1.34

Anyone new posting here Please do a full clean re-install:

move any valued save games elsewhere
"uninstall" in Steam-EU4
manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders - In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
run the game up to the main game menu then exit to the desktop again (to create the settings files)

THEN Right click on eu4.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

THEN edit Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt as follows:

refreshRate=60
fullScreen=yes
borderless=no

vsync=no

THEN run the game from the Steam PLAY button, and in the Game Settings menu there choose fullScreen, and start the game. Test with a new campaign at this point.

Is that any better?

Anyone new posting here Please do a full clean re-install:

move any valued save games elsewhere
"uninstall" in Steam-EU4
manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders - In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
run the game up to the main game menu then exit to the desktop again (to create the settings files)

THEN Right click on eu4.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

THEN edit Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt as follows:

THEN run the game from the Steam PLAY button, and in the Game Settings menu there choose fullScreen, and start the game. Test with a new campaign at this point.

Is that any better?
Nop those steps dont work it has the same hiccups as before i even try to do a windows reset and still has lag or slow tickrate as its worse then 1.34 (1.34 was perfect for me) i even use the remove natives mod and no use plz can you fix it in the next hotfix? Put the performance as it was on 1.34? This new dlc is só cool

If you want the developers to look at this you'll need to post in Bug Reports forum - they do not read this forum.

And it will have to be a game with NO mods used in it ever.

Thanks i already did but still no one answered
You don't usually get answers in the bug reports forum. But somebody from paradox/qloc(external QA) will look at all the reports and transfer new issues which they can reproduce into an internal system, so that the developers can fix them.

You don't usually get answers in the bug reports forum. But somebody from paradox/qloc(external QA) will look at all the reports and transfer new issues which they can reproduce into an internal system, so that the developers can fix them.

i didnt know it thanks alot for the info! hope they take this in count since im not alone with this tickrate slower issue