EU4 patch 1.34.4 Sweden! Checksum [ac5e] is now LIVE - Not for problem reports!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- The government reforms "Centralized Bureaucracy" and "Centralized Monarchical Bureaucracy" now refund 50% of the cost of centralizing a state instead of 100%.
This will affect ongoing centralizations? i am playing a multiplayer game with some friends every week. i have 800 reform progress points inverted in centralizing the state. it will be very annoying if half of them disappear just because this change. i hope you made it so it only return half the investment for new ones...

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Can you please, PLEASE, fix the War of Las Alpujarras event chain for Castille. If you tolerate them and then try to convert them you get the war (which is fine) BUT IF YOU EXPEL THEM YOU GET THE WAR ANYWAYS.
In theory it should check if the provinces have the
  • Does not have province modifier “Forced Conversion”
Which the event "Torquemada and the Conversion of the Moors" gives if you pick the option to forcefully convert them. But for some reason it doesn't works.

• 2Like
Reactions:
- State Centralization now grants -20% Local Governing Cost and +0.25 Prosperity Growth instead of -25% Local Governing cost and +0.1 Prosperity Growth.
i do not see the need for a nerf in the governing cost. i mean Except for because The government reforms "Centralized Bureaucracy" and "Centralized Monarchical Bureaucracy" used to give back 100% of the cost of centralacing the state is useless is far better to inverst in expand administration. why? because the more Gov. Cap. you have less penalty per excess points. if you have 100 gov. cap. you will get 1% of the malus for having 101 dev. (1% per 1 dev) but if you have 1000 you will get 0.1% for having 1001 dev(0.1% per 1 dev). Because of this if you have to choose between reduce your gov. cost or increace the gov. cap. . It is better to increse it. Except if the bonus of reducing it is substantially bigger. if you reduce the local gov cost you are further increasing the reasons for not using this mechanic.

Also "state centralization" has a minor bug with "Expand infrastructure" for some reson the "+15 local governing increase cost" is not affected by "state centralizarion". This makes it even more useless and gives more reasons to use "expand administration" instead.

edit:
For the people who "respecfully disagree" i have a question, have you ever use "state centralization"? and why you find it worth it?

Because for my part i have never find a use for it(except before when it didn't cost anything, thanks to "Centralized Bureaucracy" and "Centralized Monarchical Bureaucracy", obviously this was broken and that's why it was nerfed). It only delay you in the government reforms and even when you finish all of them in late game is better to use "expand administration".

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you're referring to this, the devs have already stated that's a feature and not a bug. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stability-drop-on-cta-it-makes-no-sense.787327/
They are referring to an issue right now where the AI will call you into wars which will cause you to take a stability hit. This is considered a bug because the AI is supposed to use the same sort of logic for determining whether to call a player in as they are to accept a potential call to arms and the AI is codded to have a -50 per point of potential stability loss.

EDIT: Corrected to the right value of penalty with thanks to BoomKidneyShot.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
# Missions
- Rearranged the Third Rome mission tree for minor Russian nations to fit more missions and enable a little more flavor.
Please consider rearranging them again. They new arrangement makes no sense for any russian minor that would go for a ruthenia formation. Also for Ruthenia itself the arrangement now is very much upside down in terms of what would be natural expansion. (While at it maybe consider throwing maybe 1-2 additional missions into the mix for the formable Ruthenia (like PLC has extended Polish mission)

They are referring to an issue right now where the AI will call you into wars which will cause you to take a stability hit. This is considered a bug because the AI is supposed to use the same sort of logic for determining whether to call a player in as they are to accept a potential call to arms and the AI is codded to have a -1000 to such if it would cause them to take a stability hit.
The modifier isn't -1000, it's -50 per stability lost.

Reactions:
You’d want to have Russian missions though, its like having 2 mission trees. Would be a shame if that were removed
My issue with it is that Novgorod's final unique mission requires A LOT and all the while you're locked at duchy rank, because you can only upgrade to empire rank (Grand Veche Republic, which was added in LotN) but then you can't do the mission about how great Novgorod is. Just seems like some wires have been crossed.

My issue with it is that Novgorod's final unique mission requires A LOT and all the while you're locked at duchy rank, because you can only upgrade to empire rank (Grand Veche Republic, which was added in LotN) but then you can't do the mission about how great Novgorod is. Just seems like some wires have been crossed.
A question, can you become an empire as Novgorod without forming Russia? It shouldn't even be a goal of Novgorod, they had their own culture and language, possibly even belonging to an extinct North Slavic branch.

A question, can you become an empire as Novgorod without forming Russia? It shouldn't even be a goal of Novgorod, they had their own culture and language, possibly even belonging to an extinct North Slavic branch.
By Empire do you mean Monarchy or Republic? If so you can switch GR and become Monarchy and eventualy Empire. If you plan staying Republic, probably i'm wrong, but should'nt there be Grand Republic or something? As for Novgorodian belonging to North Slavic group this is something i hear for the first time. Originaly there were 2 branches Slavs had, Eastern and Western Slavic while Southern Slavic was created in 20th century when Yugoslavia was formed. Before that for example Slovenes and Croats belonged to Western Slavs while Serbs to Eastern Slavs.

By Empire do you mean Monarchy or Republic? If so you can switch GR and become Monarchy and eventualy Empire. If you plan staying Republic, probably i'm wrong, but should'nt there be Grand Republic or something? As for Novgorodian belonging to North Slavic group this is something i hear for the first time. Originaly there were 2 branches Slavs had, Eastern and Western Slavic while Southern Slavic was created in 20th century when Yugoslavia was formed. Before that for example Slovenes and Croats belonged to Western Slavs while Serbs to Eastern Slavs.
I mean by staying as a Republic and not forming Russia. Isn't Great Veche Republic limited only to Republican Russia? I'm looking very forward to do a Novgorod run in near future, if everything is working as intended.
Yes, some linguists suggest that there used to be another Slavic group. Either way, Novgorodians had a language (and culture) of their own, like Ruthenians, so their goal shouldn't be to form Russia, but of course, they shouldn't be denied to do it either. If you can't become an empire without forming Russia, it greatly limits the gameplay.

Reactions:
(...)

As usual - we strongly recommend that you finish off any ongoing saves you have in previous versions before updating your game. You can read how to revert your game version here! In our tests 1.34.3 saves are working, but this can never be guaranteed!

(...)

Hi guys, first I want to thank you for your work supporting the game.

But I do have to say that I somehow get the sense you do not appreciate the fact that in the default installation of your game there is no such thing as a deliberate choice of the player to do anything "before updating your game". The game is just auto-updated, end of story. The majority of your players also certainly do not read this forum and the patchnotes, let alone doing so before the game gets auto-updated.

When did this "it is ok to break the player's saves" mentality even start? At first it was just the major updates. Ok, it was an annoyance even then, but bearable. Now it is apparently ok for every minor patch release to break the saves.

This is getting to the point where I am not only anxious and afraid that one of these dreaded patches might come around (which is absurd if you think about what the intent of the patches presumably is), but honestly with the frequency the saves get broken nowadays it is simply getting to the point where I do not want to play the game at all anymore.

P.S.: Yes I do actually know that I can somehow fiddle around in the seventh submenu of steam and downgrade my version, but it is too much hassle.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi guys, first I want to thank you for your work supporting the game.

But I do have to say that I somehow get the sense you do not appreciate the fact that in the default installation of your game there is no such thing as a deliberate choice of the player to do anything "before updating your game". The game is just auto-updated, end of story. The majority of your players also certainly do not read this forum and the patchnotes, let alone doing so before the game gets auto-updated.

When did this "it is ok to break the player's saves" mentality even start? At first it was just the major updates. Ok, it was an annoyance even then, but bearable. Now it is apparently ok for every minor patch release to break the saves.

This is getting to the point where I am not only anxious and afraid that one of these dreaded patches might come around (which is absurd if you think about what the intent of the patches presumably is), but honestly with the frequency the saves get broken nowadays it is simply getting to the point where I do not want to play the game at all anymore.

P.S.: Yes I do actually know that I can somehow fiddle around in the seventh submenu of steam and downgrade my version, but it is too much hassle.
This small update doesn't break saves. I finished my Milan campaign with it, no problems. Although I can't say if it's Ironman compatible, because I don't have it turned on.

I mean by staying as a Republic and not forming Russia. Isn't Great Veche Republic limited only to Republican Russia? I'm looking very forward to do a Novgorod run in near future, if everything is working as intended.
Yes, some linguists suggest that there used to be another Slavic group. Either way, Novgorodians had a language (and culture) of their own, like Ruthenians, so their goal shouldn't be to form Russia, but of course, they shouldn't be denied to do it either. If you can't become an empire without forming Russia, it greatly limits the gameplay.
I think that GVR is indead for Republican Russia and it represents final stage if republic form Russia. If i'm not mistaken GVR was introduced during 1.34 development. When it comes to Slavic languages it's more complex than it seams. Yes Novgorodians did had their own language but it could also be considered dialect. Because East Slavs are almost identical it could be considered part of the same language (Russian). As for Northern Slavs now you intreged me. I've read small peaces about Baltic Slavs and Slavic peoples inhabiting territory that coresponds to former East Germany.

Reactions:
You cannot, Veche Republic is locked at duchy rank and until LotN, forming Russia would just give you regular Tsardom as if you'd been Muscovy. Now, forming Russia keeps you republican while upgrading you to Great or Grand Veche Republic, thus preserving the Novgorod flavour, but still goes to normal Russian missions, thus losing the Novgorod flavour and sort of defeating the point. The final mission in Novgorod's tree requires you to fulfil the same requirements which give you the Frozen Assets achievement, and rewards you with a really great modifier for your capital province.

With all this in mind, I feel like it's awkward to expect me to the White Sea node the most valuable in the world while being locked at duchy rank, especially when other countries have been given such expansive/dynamic mission trees and formables just to help people make stupid memes. Either remove the duchy lock so we're not incentivised to form Russia, or take another pass at Third Rome to give Novgorod as much ahistorical BS as newer content so they have a different formable/more missions.

• 1Like
Reactions: