• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that causes a fair bit of problems, as it would break savegames for some.
Sure, but those people could stick to the last patch and play their game to the end and switch back. Please Johan, stop impeding other players for the minorities mistakes!

• 27Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Honestly if you’d used performance as your reason instead of save games being broken, there wouldn’t have been this much backlash.

• 21Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Do tags weigh less on performance if they aren't on the map? (such as annexed OPM's in Japan or Europe by 1600.)

yes. an annexed tag is ignored in 90% of the calculations.

sadly we can't do the same with "wasteland" provinces due to stupid legacy architecture that i don't dare change

• 14Haha
Reactions:
yes. an annexed tag is ignored in 90% of the calculations.

sadly we can't do the same with "wasteland" provinces due to stupid legacy architecture that i don't dare change

How did HoI3 perform with that amount of provinces it had? They are both (HoI3 and EU4) using Clausewitz Engine?

Reactions:
Well, that causes a fair bit of problems, as it would break savegames for some.

I think a lot more people are exited for a better map than there are people upset over a savegame breaking though. And let's face it: South America is in a sorry state right now and clearly the one region that needs a rework the most. Everything else is passable or good.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The reasoning given by Johan makes me wonder if we really, really needed Aboriginals and Australia rework even more, considering how that is space that could have been saved for places that are more important for the time period, in dare need to rework and whose tag density is much higher, I.E Africa.

• 10Like
Reactions:
The reasoning given by Johan makes me wonder if we really, really needed Aboriginals and Australia rework even more, considering how that is space that could have been saved for places that are more important for the time period, in dare need to rework and whose tag density is much higher, I.E Africa.
Yeah, these excuses feel a bit jarring after the last few updates went so overboard in adding new provinces and tags of dubious necessity.

One would guess they would start realising the problem earlier on and slowly start toning down on the additions, instead of skyrocketing up untill now and then suddenly rugpulling half the planet like this.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I remember the days, so long ago, when Holstein was added in a patch.
It was a big deal, because back then map changes came only with expansions.
There was a discussion about the addition breaking people's games.
Over the years it seemed like people accepted that as reasonable price.
I find the performance argument reasonable - what is the point of having a more detailed map, if it makes the game work worse.

EDIT: Oh my, that was November 24th 2009.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I really, honestly cannot understand how every update people complain about how their campaign that they've played for months gets ruined. Do people actually play their campaigns at speed 2 in 15 minute chunks every day over a period of months? If I'm playing a campaign it lasts about a week tops, and if I end up losing a few days of gameplay per patch it's no big deal. To me the complaints about "months of gameplay lost" has entered joke/meme territory, like calling minor localization errors literally unplayable.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Next week @Ogele will talk about the only african country that survived the Victoria time period, and another nation,
hi johan does that include https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majeerteen_Sultanate they lasted from the 16th century upto 1927 in fact many somali states survived to the 1920s including the sultanate of hobyo

also i really hoped you guys would implement @ajsieg thread on the horn of africa , cause currently adal and the ajuuran empire are extremely weak compared to ethiopia

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Remove provinces from North America and add the few that Africa needs, if that is a solution.

I suggest this because NA, especially north of Mexico, is bloated. Central Africa (Great Lakes region, not the Congo Basin) can also be removed to make room for more provinces in West Africa/Sudan.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
If adding more provinces is out of the question, would it be possible to at least not leave south America in such a sorry state? Not to decry the changes to Australia and such, but the fact out of the thousands of tribes and the many cities and kingdoms in the Andes(and the amazon, as new research continues) only 4 from the east coast get to be a tag, and for the Andes you have only a few with no way to interact with the rest of America despite trade flowing from the Andes up to the great plains.

Yes, most players aren't from/don't play here, but god despite the time period being rich in history for the continent, were it to get proper love like the other regions I have no doubts people would start taking interest and not seeing it as the squished continent where nothing happens but at least you can get some resources or something.

• 3Like
Reactions:
One question though, does this mean that there's no chance of there being border/province shape changes in the future either? Like how Bessarabia/Akkerman was changed to hug the Danube instead of cutting through it.
couldn't a mod do that? and wouldn't that be their answer?

Reactions:
I never type responses in Dev Diaries, but I applaud your stance and wholeheartedly agree. As a fellow modder (Flavor Universalis) I completely understand not adding more provinces. And to be honest I would love to get to know more about the engine under the hood.
-------------
Question; Would it be possible to un-hardcode some stuff the base-game has such as unique units and adding new trade company investments ? I am sure modders would love to get their hands (me included) on some of these mechanics, and deliver fresh content for years to come.
I may not always agree with your direction choices but today you are absolutely correct. Cheers and thank you for your hard work.

Big Boss

• 4Like
Reactions: