• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KommissarSquirrley

Private
20 Badges
Jul 23, 2017
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
For some back story: I could easily run max speed on eu4 the entire time I've had it (4 years) until very recently. Before I had my lag issue I had an issue were I couldn't even launch EU4 so I did a hard re-install and a bunch of other things to fix the game. But then I realized I couldn't launch EU4 due to it being in fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen so that fixed my first issue. However once I fixed EU4 and was able to launch it and load in it was unbearably laggy and I don't know why.

Here's my CPU specs:
AMD FX 8350 Eight core Processor
Here's my GPU specs:
Radeon RX 480

And by lag I mean stuttering when I zoom in and out fast and the game speed is insanely slow. I also can't even do MP games anymore. Before this I could run a 2 player MP game with my friend on 5 speed but now I can only do 1 speed. And in SP It has gotten a lot slower and 5 speed is basically just 2 or three speed for me. Even with fast unviersalis it still isn't as fast as it used to be.
Anyone know any solutions to this issue?

Does this also affect HOI4 and CK2?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Does this also affect HOI4 and CK2?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .
No it only effects EU4, HOI4 VIC2 and CK2 are fine and I can run them at 5 speed easily.
And here are all the documents you asked for. Sorry for a late response

Attachments

• Post this to Paradox Forum.txt
    84,1 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,1 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    323 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    4,2 KB · Views: 0
I don't see any reason for this in those files. You may as well update that AMD driver:

Then delete everything in the Documents/paradox/eu4/ folders, except any valued save games of course.

I don't see any reason for this in those files. You may as well update that AMD driver:

Then delete everything in the Documents/paradox/eu4/ folders, except any valued save games of course.
Idk what AMD driver your referencing and I deleted everything in the documents/paradox/eu4/folders and nothing happened and the game is still laggy.

Your video system is Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics and your driver for it is from last year.

Choose your video system in that page , download and install the current driver for it - I hope that helps!

Your video system is Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics and your driver for it is from last year.

Choose your video system in that page , download and install the current driver for it - I hope that helps!
Ok I'll install the most recent graphics driver and see if that makes my game playable. I installed the new driver and EU4 still has the same issue

Not really, to be honest. Can I get new copies of the files mentioned in post #2 above, plus error.log and exceptions.log , thanks.

Not really, to be honest. Can I get new copies of the files mentioned in post #2 above, plus error.log and exceptions.log , thanks.
Very late response but here are the files, I'm kinda desperate to find any fix at this point: Also I couldn't find the exceptions.log in my documents/eu4

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    259 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,1 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • send this to paradox dude.txt
    84,4 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
This problem affects the game at all speeds, not just 5?

You're on the latest Recommended driver there, but we may as well try the latest Optional one instead.

In your OP here you mentioned having to run in fullScreen mode. But that is only a known problem with nVidia drivers and should not apply here. What happens now if you run in fullScreen? That should be faster.

If none of that helps, let's try a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

This problem affects the game at all speeds, not just 5?

You're on the latest Recommended driver there, but we may as well try the latest Optional one instead.

In your OP here you mentioned having to run in fullScreen mode. But that is only a known problem with nVidia drivers and should not apply here. What happens now if you run in fullScreen? That should be faster.

If none of that helps, let's try a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.
Thank you so much for responding but yes it does affect my game at all speeds, not just 5
I have tried every other screen mode and that still doesn't fix my issue
I will try this but how do I add Eu4.exe to the exceptions list of my antivirus (I have windows defender) And how would I tell that I deleted all of the EU4 related files on my computer?

I will try this but how do I add Eu4.exe to the exceptions list of my antivirus
In Windows search box enter ransomware. Enable Controlled Folder Access if disabled, then add eu4.exe to the Apps Allowed Through list in there.

And how would I tell that I deleted all of the EU4 related files on my computer?
Theya re in only two locations, Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders. If those folders are deleted, they are all gone.

I love those generic answers from tech supports. The game gets patched, performance drops and suddenly it's the players fault. Maybe be frank at least once in the history of your company and just say that you fucked up the patch regarding performance. I get bad performance as well with a pretty beefy setup and it was completely FINE on 1.29

But let me guess, you need logs? And yes, i updated graphics drivers, plugged keyboard and mouse in and have a functional brain with 30 years of pc gaming experience.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I love those generic answers from tech supports. The game gets patched, performance drops and suddenly it's the players fault. Maybe be frank at least once in the history of your company and just say that you fucked up the patch regarding performance. I get bad performance as well with a pretty beefy setup and it was completely FINE on 1.29

But let me guess, you need logs? And yes, i updated graphics drivers, plugged keyboard and mouse in and have a functional brain with 30 years of pc gaming experience.
Thanks for your contribution, but please don't swear at us - that is one of the rules you agreed to follow when you signed up here.

I don't see where I've blamed the player for this problem.

I'm willing to try and help you but in your own thread please.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Generic questions aren't solving anything. Patch 1.3 has a performance problem (besides the piss poor general DLC which you guys can't even play test ) and you still ask for dxdiag logs and if stellaris or CK2 have the same problem. The problem ist at YOUR end, not mine ir anyones that have performance issues.

Thanks for your contribution, but please don't swear at us - that is one of the rules you agreed to follow when you signed up here.

I don't see where I've blamed the player for this problem.

I'm willing to try and help you but in your own thread please.
Ignore him, I'm grateful for any help at this point. I also don't see where you have blamed me for this issue

In Windows search box enter ransomware. Enable Controlled Folder Access if disabled, then add eu4.exe to the Apps Allowed Through list in there.

Theya re in only two locations, Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders. If those folders are deleted, they are all gone.
I did all of these steps and it is still persisting, I have no clue on how to fix this.

I have tried every other screen mode and that still doesn't fix my issue
You can run in fullScreen now, is that right?

Please install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here please.

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Please install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here please.

Yea I can run in fullscreen
But I don't know how to run the utility speecy after I installed it and I'll respond back with my speedfan temperatures during EU4