• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jiajinlong Kang

Private
41 Badges
Oct 21, 2018
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Hi everyone,

I got a strange issue with EU4 fps. Basically whenever I open the game, the FPS when game is paused remains at around 140. However, the FPS when game is paused gradually drops as I play. For example, if I play for half an hour or an hour, when I pause the game the FPS will be just about 60. Interestingly, after quiting and restarting the game the FPS will be back to ~140 and another FPS drop cycle continues.

I have a top-end PC with i9 13900k, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 128GB RAM and 3 TB SSD. It appears to me that EU4 is accumulating something in the background and it does not get cleared out properly. Therefore the game gets lower FPS for longer playing time. I am not sure if anyone else also has this issue.

Your thoughts or solution will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Well, my first thought is that 60 fps is just fine for a non-action game like this!

Or do you see other symptoms of worse performance, such as slow time passing or jerkiness in the maps?

And have you checked CPU and GPU temperatures in the game?

60 fps is just the fps when the game is paused (i.e. when I do nothing). Also note that I have a near top end PC. 60 FPS is not satisfactory given this specs honestly. Furthremore, if I open any tab, like diplomacy, economy or mission tree, the fps further drops (sometimes to even lower than 30). I did some test and it appears that this issue is worse if I have mods. My guess is that it has something to do with the graphic rendering since mods typically add in more provinces.

CPU and GPU temperature is fine. I have water cooling. CPU and GPU usage is single digit to ~15% though.

Just to be clear: you have satisfactory performance in other respects, but would like to see higher fps numbers? That's your goal here?

Does this extend to CK3, Stellaris, HOI4 and CK2 also? Or just EU4?

And, has this always happened since you've had this game/these games? Or it/they were okay up to some point?

Firstly, having a 20 FPS when opening a tab is far away from satisfatory and it destroys my gaming experience.

For other Paradox games I am not sure about the FPS but at least I feel smooth when playing CK3. I believe Stellaris has the same FPS degradation issues but I feel it is not as bad as EU4.

Not sure when this happened. I played EU4 a long time ago and I recently picked it up. I can say that I have this issue at least for 1.34 and 1.35.

And by the way a clean install does not solve the issue.

having a 20 FPS when opening a tab is far away from satisfatory
I understand te fps drops in that and other circumstances. What I'm trying to establish is if there are other performance symptoms! So when you open a tab, is that notably slow to happen, quit aside from the fps at that time?

Not that I have any idea of what is causing this on your hardware, which of course ought to be fast!

I believe FPS degradation is the only noticeable symptom. The game runs fast even at 5 speed. What I mean is that those tabs are quick to open but while they remain open the game FPS drops drastically, making the game super laggy. The worst case is the economy tab. Time by time I need to open the economy tab to check my revenues and cost for reducing corruption etc. While the economy tab is poped out on the upper left of the screen, the whole game becomes very very laggy. It is not eye-enjoying honestly. The second worst case is the mission tree tab. Many mission requirement includes something like "country A does not exist" or "region A should have development over 12". When I open the missiong tree tab and move the map to these countries/regions of interest. I can feel that the game is super laggy (and FPS counter shows that the FPS is cut to 20-30).