• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of June 2016

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. After much plotting and espionage, I have assumed direct control over these diaries, at least for the upcoming months while Johan enjoys some paternity leave.

The feeling of power this gives is immense. EU4 will allow you a similar feeling with a new feature in the upcoming expansion: Great Powers

In 1.18's accompanying expansion, which has yet to be name-dropped, we will grant the 8 most powerful countries in the world a "Great Power" status, granting them bonuses, new diplomatic options and, perhaps most importantly, a glow around your shield to show that you are the superior nation.

Before we address the shiny options and bonuses available to you, let's tackle the question of how to become a Great Power. As we had mentioned in a previous diary, the technology system is getting an overhaul and the Great Power mechanic will make use of this too. Your ranking as a Great Power depends on your Total Development plus half of your Subject Development, then divided by your tech cost. This ensures that early game, large powers such as Ming and Timurids will enjoy Great Power status but as Other powers rise and they lag behind with embracing new institutions, this status will be lost. Of course, If Ming, for example, stays united and forward thinking, they may not lose this status at all. Subject Nations cannot be Great Powers

As a great power you will enjoy a Power Projection bonus. One commonly raised issue is that if you are a huge power without equal your Power Projection is oddly low, since you cannot have any meaningful rivals. The greatest of the Great Powers will enjoy a +25 Power Projection bonus, with the other 7 gaining an increasingly smaller amount with rank 8 getting +10PP. Additionally, great powers will receive a prestige decay reduction. Other modifiers will likely be added before release as we continue to balance the system.

eu4_19.png

Bonuses are all very well and good, but where's the fun in being great if you can't enforce your will on lesser beings? Four new diplomatic options are opened up uniquely for Great Powers:

Take on Foreign Debt – Pay off all the loans of the target independent non-GP country. Gives +10 relations bonus for every standard size loan of the target you clear, capped at +200, decaying 2/year Also grants +1 trust for every loan cleared, or +2 favours if you have The Cossacks. Requires enough money to pay off target’s loans.

Influence Nation – Pay 1 year of target income to increase relations and grant +1 monarch points in their weakest category for 10 years in a target independent non-GP nation. This raises their opinion of you by 25 for the 10 years, also gives +5 trust. Going to war with them cancels this bonus.

Intervene in War– If there is an ongoing war between great powers but an imbalance in the number of GPs involved, you can make it your business to intervene. For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.

Break Alliance – This will force a nation to break its alliance with another. They will accept if the target nation is sufficiently afraid of you and you will gain a truce with the nation you force this upon. Useful for stripping your war target of pesky roadblocks.

eu4_12.png

Finally, you will want to hold on to your status as a great power. If you are pushed out of the top 8 nations, you will be given a 5 year grace period to regain your Great Power Score. During this time you will still have access to Great Power options but if you cannot regain your standing then you will lose them until you rise again or topple those who would claim to be greater than you.

Current 1444 Great Powers:

eu4_13.png

As usual, the nitty-gritty numbers are very much subject to change as we refine the features.

Great Powers will be available as a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be released alongside the 1.18 patch.

Next week we'll be in the presence of our King/Khan/Chief/Sultan/Emperor/Malik, so I hope you're on your best behavior.

Reactions:
You just know that being a great power is going to result in most nations hating you or not being willing to ally you. I wouldn't be surprised if this change is actually tied in to trying to stop snowballing somehow.

Reactions:
So, if I understand this correctly, the size of the army isn't taken into acount in any direct way, right?
I think this is a great feature, but it needs to consider more factors! Just your total gross development and tech cost seems insufficent to me. Being the HRE emperor should definitely be a bonus (Austria should be a GP in the 1444 start, shouldn't it?) and imo local autonomy has to be a factor as well.

Reactions:
I love everything except for the exclusion of the HRE. You need to address and integrate it into the system because a good portion of fun play revolves around the HRE and being part of the HRE should not disqualify you from being a GP. Princes should give you some sort of bonus and being an elector as well as the emperor should give you a bonus towards being a GP.
The powers of emperor greatly outclass the listed great power options

Reactions:
@DDRJake, just a quick suggestion about Institutions. Instead of Colonialism appearing in Iberia, I believe it would be better if it appeared in the first feudal (as in, embraced Feudalism already) nation with a capital outside a colonial region to get a cored province in such a region. 90% of the time it will be an Iberian nation, but this allows France/GB to take the lead should Iberia fail and, most importantly, gives agency to the player as they may try their luck in outspeeding Iberia. It also makes the institution more "natural" as it'd be the product of an action (like Global Trade) instead of purely being regionlocked.

Reactions:
- Lithuania may start as a GP, but becoming a junior partner in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth will throw them out immediately. Poland will take Lithuania's place, i guess.

- Austria is not a GP in the beginning, but i assume that with the usual Timurid implosion and the Burgundian Inheritance, that will be enough development to raise Austria to GP status.

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST: VICTORIA III CONFIRMED! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

Reactions:
The powers of emperor greatly outclass the listed great power options

Yes but from a multiplayer standpoint, being the Emperor does nothing to project your power in the new system. That seems wrong. Shouldn't the HRE be one of the great powers? I'm seeing this new system as a scorecard system more than features for blobs. To exclude the HRE cause their vassal system doesn't fit into the system seems off to me.

Reactions:
@DDRJake, just a quick suggestion about Institutions. Instead of Colonialism appearing in Iberia, I believe it would be better if it appeared in the first feudal (as in, embraced Feudalism already) nation with a capital outside a colonial region to get a cored province in such a region. 90% of the time it will be an Iberian nation, but this allows France/GB to take the lead should Iberia fail and, most importantly, gives agency to the player as they may try their luck in outspeeding Iberia. It also makes the institution more "natural" as it'd be the product of an action (like Global Trade) instead of purely being regionlocked.

It would be pretty easy to do it as Morocco or any SEA nation next to Australia. Remember, they all start at 100% tech cost now.

Reactions:
Ah, soon we will have Great Wars in diplomacy window, Boxer rebels in China and Industrial score, wow.
Just kidding, actually I think it's good progress in the right path and now calculating great powers at conversion games to Victoria 2 won't be a mess.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Alternatively it could be for emperor to have multiplier to his GP Score.

Emperor - 150%, or Emperor 125% and Guaranteed Succession additional +25%, or whatever values may come in handy.

Reactions:
I think it's really weird to have Global Great Power mechanic at 1444....

Regional great power would be more appropriate for the early game of EU4 time span, then it become global great power after 17,18 centuries or after colonisation institution is adopt by most of the country.

Reactions:
It would be pretty easy to do it as Morocco or any SEA nation next to Australia. Remember, they all start at 100% tech cost now.

Might be a problem for SEA (how easily can a western custom nation there set foot in Australia before the Iberians get to America?), but I don't really think Morocco would be a bad option. I mean, they share the same oceanic plataform, what they lacked was motivation (and money, I guess).

Reactions:
Will these changes be counterbalanced with different minor-GP relations? I mean with all these actions to help little nations it means that they won t swallow everything they have near them? Also in too frequent wars where a major nation just stramrolls minors , will nearby GP help?

Also wouldnt be better to have like someone said regional or contintal GP? So they would interact more often and be more believable since world GP are a bit too an advanced concept for that age

Might be a problem for SEA (how easily can a western custom nation there set foot in Australia before the Iberians get to America?), but I don't really think Morocco would be a bad option. I mean, they share the same oceanic plataform, what they lacked was motivation (and money, I guess).

Western tech group will not be a thing in 1.18.

Reactions:
Oh, am I the only one who doesn't like the shiny effect at all ? :oops:

(Of course I could rather have commented on the mechanics themselves, but it would have meant being constructive)

Reactions:
Interesting. Hmm, well France certainly didn't need a buff but I like the idea of these things. But they're already a lucky nation so additional bonuses seems overkill.

Reactions: