• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of February 2021

Good morning, everyone! Today we're back to some exciting content, talking about a whole new feature we'll be introducing in our next expansion: Monuments!

image (55).png

Similar to the Wonders feature in CK2, you'll be able to build some of the most iconic and stunning buildings that serve as landmarks for many of our different playable nations. And, of course, given how important they were (and some still are), they will also grant you special and permanent bonuses. Let's cover some of their major points!
  1. Monuments are a special type of building that can only be built in certain provinces (according to their real life location), already set at the beginning of the game. However, some of them will be able to be relocated to your capital if you own their province. This is true for some "non-settled" monuments, like Stonehenge or the Moai, but will be impossible to do when it comes to other bigger monuments, like Nôtre-Dame.
  2. Monuments will be displayed in the province view in a separate window, each of them having a new and unique 2D art that portrays the monument at its highest (but also according to our time period). In this view you'll be able to see the benefits of upgrading it, the cost and the requirements for doing so, as well as the current tier, represented by medals.

1612797344093.png

3. Monuments have 4 different tiers, ranging from 0 to 3. Tier 0 implies that said monument is completely devastated or not even built yet and you will get no bonuses from it; each building will have a default tier at the beginning of the game, according to its real life state in 1444. Achieving a new tier is both time and resource consuming, costing a total of 1000 gold to upgrade each time and taking 50 years to complete. This process can be sped up by using an extra 300 gold to bring the project forward by 730 days or by using 10000 manpower to get the same result.
    The modifiers you get from reaching every tier are permanent and linked to the purpose of each building: for example, the Alhambra will reward you with some diplomatic and administrative bonuses, whilst the Shwedagon Pagoda will help you boost your karma and legitimacy, also reducing the unrest in the area. These bonuses may apply to your province, its area or the entire nation, growing stronger and wider as you upgrade your monument.

1612800266714.png
    1612800481592.png

4. Monuments will require you to meet certain conditions before building or upgrading them and, if you fail to meet them, you will also lose their bonuses even after having completed their construction. Normally these conditions are to have a certain culture or follow a certain religion, but some monuments, like the Ambras Castle, are available for everyone that owns their province to build.

1612798503062.png
    1612798513210.png

5. After conquering a province with a monument, its tier is reset to 1 to show the impact of the war in the city, even if it was already in an upper tier. However, it won't be reset to tier 0, as if it was completely destroyed. Also, provinces with a monument cost more warscore, as they hold a special significance to their owner. The new owner, however, will be able to upgrade it again, as long as the requirements are still met.
  6. Some missions will also be linked to certain monuments, specially if they were relevant for a tag during the time period we are covering. For example, you can see that in this Majapahit mission one of the requirements is to have the Borobudur temple upgraded to its maximum tier. Some other missions will also give you a great projects' building cost reduction or time reduction bonus, making it easier to upgrade your monuments.

1612799128243.png

(Please notice that our icons are still placeholders).
As you can see in the first screenshot, certain monuments will also have 3D art displayed on the map. Those models that were already implemented in the National Monuments cosmetic dlcs will be added as proper monuments, and you'll be able to see them both in the political and terrain mapmodes.

Thank you for reading and I hope you're as excited as we are about this! See you next week!

• 166Like
  • 77Love
Reactions:
It more or less is wonders from Civ already. Especially due to placement restrictions in Civ 6. The only difference between the two is that Civ 6 maps are randomly generated, but for some wonders the areas you can place them are limited to few enough places on the map that only a small fraction of the civs can a) make them and b) get useful benefits from doing so. Others are more like previous games in that they don't have high restrictions.

Something like 15% admin efficiency is wild and making those kinds of bonuses arbitrarily constrained to a few spots "because that's where they were made historically" doesn't make sense. Especially if the country that made it IRL doesn't even exist on the EU 4 map in question.
Have to agree with you on this one. I'm usually in favor of little addiitons like this, but this one really kind of feels like it's mainly being done to appeal to the people who want monuments in here just because CKII has them.

Reactions:
  • Give specific nations more modifiers
  • Prevent everything being built in one place
  • Discourage even more silly WC runs
To name a few more possible reasons behind not going full Civ monuments.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't like the idea, it looks like some random stuff implemented into the game. What's good in dev diary is that bonuses aren't too big like previous fantasies and these introduced here doesnt' have military bonus (which is always worrying for me as multi player while u guys aren't very good or interested at all in balancing that stuff ).
But thing is done so hmm, maybe bind these to mana which is generating a little too much after introducing 5 lvl advisors. But on the second hand it is little harder to balance as in vanilla 20-30 dip points is worth more than manufacture, not to mention mil points, it's a lot of manpower.
some guys find my comment wrong but it's nothing more than something that worked in ck2 and is implemented in Imperator and Eu4 because of that. But it doesn't mean it will work in Eu4. Is any real flavor added into the game with this?
There are also some changes so called "tall game", I'm terrified already what you might come up with.
Also with newest version estates crashes, hotjoin doesn't work, out of syncs, some issues with states.
Why can't u fix some stuff before implementing not important "flavors"

Last edited:
I dont like the idea that there is a fixed amount of monuments, or, they can only be built in certain places (unless there are a real big number of places, say, 1/3 of all provinces).

Maybe do this more closely like the same mechanic in CK2 or I:R

• 1Like
Reactions:
I dont like the idea that there is a fixed amount of monuments, or, they can only be built in certain places (unless there are a real big number of places, say, 1/3 of all provinces).

Reactions:
Given that CK2 is still being financially supported with Subscriptions, can we have some exporter work done so that at least one of our Wonders from CK2 exported to EU4 for a megacampaign?

Wonders already give benefits as province modifiers, would it be hard to tweak that function to full blown Monuments?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Someone can explain to me why a big pile of rocks should give random bonuses to an entire nation? In almost every paradox game?
Someone at paradox has a thing for "monuments"

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
One of the biggest letdowns for me was the inability to build a generic monument wherever I want. I would be fine with limits, say, one per state etc, but generic "great libraries" for mkre tech, "great castle" for more monarch power etc etc would have been the real useful use for monuments.

Instead I am stuck with a 19th century UK that rules half the world and it's monument is "stonehenge". I wanna build the (generic) Royal Albert Hall damn it, not improve a bunch of fascinating rocks.

Ps: this is probably a moot point tho isn't it?

Last edited:
Super late to this, and honestly not sure that what I say here will have any impact at this point but I feel like resetting to Tier 1 just for conquering is unnecessarily harsh, there have been plenty of such monuments transferred with territory over time undamaged (or at least with relatively little damage). It could at least be implemented such that it's based on province occupation rather than province conquering, or maybe if there's a battle in the province, and then there's a chance for how damaged it will be. This would add an extra layer of strategy around these locations ("Do I risk damaging this monument?") and also give more reflective reality, it's rare, but sometimes in history we have even seen "Tier 4" monuments reduced to nothing ("Tier 0").