• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of February 2021

Good morning, everyone! Today we're back to some exciting content, talking about a whole new feature we'll be introducing in our next expansion: Monuments!

image (55).png

Similar to the Wonders feature in CK2, you'll be able to build some of the most iconic and stunning buildings that serve as landmarks for many of our different playable nations. And, of course, given how important they were (and some still are), they will also grant you special and permanent bonuses. Let's cover some of their major points!
  1. Monuments are a special type of building that can only be built in certain provinces (according to their real life location), already set at the beginning of the game. However, some of them will be able to be relocated to your capital if you own their province. This is true for some "non-settled" monuments, like Stonehenge or the Moai, but will be impossible to do when it comes to other bigger monuments, like Nôtre-Dame.
  2. Monuments will be displayed in the province view in a separate window, each of them having a new and unique 2D art that portrays the monument at its highest (but also according to our time period). In this view you'll be able to see the benefits of upgrading it, the cost and the requirements for doing so, as well as the current tier, represented by medals.

1612797344093.png

3. Monuments have 4 different tiers, ranging from 0 to 3. Tier 0 implies that said monument is completely devastated or not even built yet and you will get no bonuses from it; each building will have a default tier at the beginning of the game, according to its real life state in 1444. Achieving a new tier is both time and resource consuming, costing a total of 1000 gold to upgrade each time and taking 50 years to complete. This process can be sped up by using an extra 300 gold to bring the project forward by 730 days or by using 10000 manpower to get the same result.
    The modifiers you get from reaching every tier are permanent and linked to the purpose of each building: for example, the Alhambra will reward you with some diplomatic and administrative bonuses, whilst the Shwedagon Pagoda will help you boost your karma and legitimacy, also reducing the unrest in the area. These bonuses may apply to your province, its area or the entire nation, growing stronger and wider as you upgrade your monument.

1612800266714.png
    1612800481592.png

4. Monuments will require you to meet certain conditions before building or upgrading them and, if you fail to meet them, you will also lose their bonuses even after having completed their construction. Normally these conditions are to have a certain culture or follow a certain religion, but some monuments, like the Ambras Castle, are available for everyone that owns their province to build.

1612798503062.png
    1612798513210.png

5. After conquering a province with a monument, its tier is reset to 1 to show the impact of the war in the city, even if it was already in an upper tier. However, it won't be reset to tier 0, as if it was completely destroyed. Also, provinces with a monument cost more warscore, as they hold a special significance to their owner. The new owner, however, will be able to upgrade it again, as long as the requirements are still met.
  6. Some missions will also be linked to certain monuments, specially if they were relevant for a tag during the time period we are covering. For example, you can see that in this Majapahit mission one of the requirements is to have the Borobudur temple upgraded to its maximum tier. Some other missions will also give you a great projects' building cost reduction or time reduction bonus, making it easier to upgrade your monuments.

1612799128243.png

(Please notice that our icons are still placeholders).
As you can see in the first screenshot, certain monuments will also have 3D art displayed on the map. Those models that were already implemented in the National Monuments cosmetic dlcs will be added as proper monuments, and you'll be able to see them both in the political and terrain mapmodes.

Thank you for reading and I hope you're as excited as we are about this! See you next week!

• 166Like
  • 77Love
Reactions:
Will Cologne get a mission to build the Kölner Dom (Dome of Cologne) to completion?
Would make a lot of sense, historically. The same would make sense for Germany and perhaps HRE.

I assume the Dome as a monument will be included.

• 2Like
Reactions:
it looks cool overall but i'm a bit worried about some wonders being OP
there was one proposition to make tier 2 and 3 have monthly maintenance which seems good, you could have a button to downgrade a wonder to reduce the cost if you cant afford it, or maybe you can stop maintenaing for a few months losing the bonus but if you start again quick enough you keep it otherwise it starts downgrading

• 3Like
Reactions:
So it makes sense to me being able to build and benefit from things like Alhambra, Versailles, Great Wall of China, Suez Canal, etc.

However the key is that these are all "functional".

Having Stonehenge or the Pyramids getting involved feels weird, since they weren't in any sense functional or "used" during EU4 period. They weren't even particularly revered or important to their national identities back then; I doubt even 0.01% of UK population in 1600 knew that Stonehenge existed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While I like the idea of more unique province modifiers and flavor that doesn't just disappear when the province changes owner, I have to say that the idea of relocating monuments seems a bit gamey. What would even be an IRL example of such a thing in the timeframe?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please don’t make them so strong. This is going to bring back the India meta where you always rush the same regions of the map to get the best monuments. Please no.

• 4Like
Reactions:
It'd be great to be able to construct aquaducts. Maybe limit them to farmlands; they can reduce development cost or something similarly cool for playing tall.
I would like this too. This kind of goes into replacing development and overhauling the entire building system, but I suspect that it's never going to happen. Paradox is too busy drip feeding us flavor instead of content for EU4.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can I build Barad-Dûr?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The displayed effect of Stonehenge - missionary strength and tolerance of the true faith - would make no sense at all for anyone but a pagan country. I cannot really think of a non-religious effect that would make more sense. I do not think that Stonehenge was a particularly monument for Christian England/Great Britain in the EU4 timespan.
It's a fun easter egg to have Stonehenge with that effect for a pagan country (that is admittedly very unlikely to ever own the province). But still, where's the harm?
Who said anything about the choice of modifier? It’s the religion it’s being restricted to. And if the modifiers don’t make sense for Judaic religions... change them.
No it certainly wasn’t a particularly significant monument for Christianity during this time period (or any other) ... Nor was it particularly significant at all... ever other than when it was built and now. (It was once dismantled and left in a farmers barn for some years)
So pick a different monument!!!!!!! Turn the Tower of London into something, it’s in that monuments pack. Or pick the Stone of Scone upon which the first king of Scotland was crowned. Which served as a focal point for cultural resistance against the English till they stole it! Which would actually make great use of this mechanic!!!!!!!!!
why pick SH ??? It’s a crap monument with a crap restriction.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The displayed effect of Stonehenge - missionary strength and tolerance of the true faith - would make no sense at all for anyone but a pagan country. I cannot really think of a non-religious effect that would make more sense. I do not think that Stonehenge was a particularly monument for Christian England/Great Britain in the EU4 timespan.
It's a fun easter egg to have Stonehenge with that effect for a pagan country (that is admittedly very unlikely to ever own the province). But still, where's the harm?

I quite like the whole monuments idea it’s just their choice of Stonehenge and it’s rubbish restriction that’s annoying. The harm is in the lost opportunity for an interesting monument for the British isles.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Will the Hagia Sophia have minarets? If so why? If not why?
It'll probably be like how it is now. If the Turks restore/capture Constantinople, it will have minarets. If the Byzantines (re)claim the land, it will not.

Reactions:
I love Wonders in games so I'm excited to see this. In addition, anything that makes planning the conquering of a province more interesting than just choosing the higher dev provinces is always welcome - although, I hope that actually is the case. If the Monuments are usually stacked in provinces that you want to snag right away anyway, that'd be a little bit disappointing.

In any case, looking forward to this!

Reactions: