• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th of November 2017

Good day everyone. With Cradle of Civilization releasing on Thursday next week I want to round off on a last goodie bag of features, covering the few additions we haven't covered yet and the Achievements for 1.23.

Firstly, let's look at these Achievements and their awesome artwork by our talented artist @The Real Timor

achievement_great_moravia copy.png
Great Moravia - Restore the Great Moravian borders as Nitra or Moravia

achievement_parisian_pasha copy.png
Parisian Pasha - Assign Pasha to Paris

achievement_narcissism copy.png
Narcissism: Name a general after yourself and lead your army to victory.

achievement_protect_the_secret copy.png
Protect the Secret - As Yemen, prevent any European Nation from owning a Coffee-producing province in the Old World until 1700.

achievement_sworn_fealty copy.png
Sworn Fealty - Starting as an Arabian Tribal Federation, unite Arabia and have Maximum tribal Allegiance

achievement_saladins_legacy copy.png
Saladins Legacy - Playing as Hisn Kayfa, reforge the Ayyubid Empire (conquer Egypt, Mashriq, Hejaz and Yemen).

achievement_multiculturalism copy.png
Multiculturalism - Have 4 different Cultures and 4 different religions represented in your court.

achievement_the_prince_of_egypt copy.png
The Prince of Egypt - Starting as Florence, form Egypt.

achievement_a_heros_welcome copy.png
A Hero’s Welcome - As Karaman, form the Sultanate of Rum

achievement_around_the_world_in_80_years copy.png
Around The World In 80 Years - Starting as a Custom Nation of up to 400 points in the British Region, own New York, San Francisco, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Hong Kong and Yokohama by 1524.11.11

achievement_voltaires_nightmare copy.png
Voltaire's Nightmare
- Have at least 75 countries in the HRE.

achievement_avar_khaganate copy.png
Avar Khaganate - Achieve Empire rank and conquer Hungary as Avaria

achievement_cowardly_tactics copy.png
Cowardly Tactics: have a fort and a supply depot in a mountainous province producing livestock.

achievement_david_the_builder copy.png
David The Builder
- As Imereti, form Georgia and have no free building slots.

achievement_early-modern_warfare copy.png
Early-Modern Warfare
- Have 100 regiments at 100% Army Drill.

achievement_good_king_renee copy.png
Good King Renee - Starting as Provence, form the Kingdom of Jerusalem

achievement_bunte_kuh copy.png
Bunte Kuh - As Hamburg, trade in both Gems and Livestock.

achievement_hard_bargaining copy.png
Hard Bargaining - As Defender of a Muslim Faith, propagate your religion in The Moluccas through trade to convert 5 provinces.

achievement_the_levant_turnabout.png
The Levant Turnabout - As the Mamluks, have 100 Army Professionalism and annex the Ottomans

achievement_pandya_empire copy.png
Pandya Empire : Starting as Madurai, conquer the Pandya Territories.

20 in total, we'll be excited to see how people go about getting some of these. It was already good fun seeing people speculating over what these could be when they were teased in the Feature Breakdown video. I just know I can't look at Moravia the same way ever again.

Next up I feel like I've been working my Advisors to the bone lately. As of Cradle of Civilization, you are able to give your Advisors a hard earned raise with Promote Advisor, a new interaction in the court tab allowing you to increase an Advisor's skill level by 1 in exchange for 5 years' of their salary. This is also a way to bring their level above the long-standing limit of 3 all the way up to 5, so if you have more money than you can possibly know what to do with, you can enjoy vastly increased benefits from a full court. The caveat is that only Advisors of your culture group or your promoted cultures are eligible for promotion. Nobody within or outwith the Court will approve of an unaccepted one rising through the ranks.

promote.jpg

A small addition that was teased last week is the addition of 2 new buildings, the Farm Estate and the Mill. These are both manufactories to coincide with the addition of new trade goods and come free with the 1.23 Persia Patch

Farm Estate unlocks at tech 6 and is an early-game Manufactory which works for the less glorious goods of Grain, Livestock and Wine.

Mill is a mid-game Manufactory available for the more lucrative goods of Paper, Gems, Tropical Wood, Glass and Chinaware.

Incense, as the 5th new trade good, is exploited with the Trade Station Manufactory which, as is indicated above, has shed some of its previous goods.

mill and farm estate because where the dutch conquer there must be mills.jpg

Finally we have added the ability to Exploit Development in your provinces in Cradle of Civilization. When times are tight, you have to ask yourself if your denizens really need their homes, farmlands or their young. when exploiting the development in a province, you will permanently reduce its development by 1, and gain a lump-sum benefit from doing so.

Exploit Base Tax to gain 60 months' worth of that province's tax income
Exploit Production to gain 60 months' worth of that province's sailors
Exploit Base Manpower to gain 60 months' worth of that province's manpower

Of course, development must be at least 2 in a category for it to be exploitable, and this action requires at least a Territorial Core in that province. A province cannot be exploited in the 20 years following its last exploitation.

exploit treb.jpg

And that about wraps things up. Also be sure to tune into our Twitch Channel as we launch into our latest Dev Clash campaign at 1500CET. To whet your appetite, meet the competitors.

I'd like to second (or third) the question of how is there no Timurid achievement in the game, at all, still? They've been heavily revamped for this expansion and yet there still isn't a single Timurid-specific achievement.

ETA: Don't mean to sound all aggro, I really love a lot of these and am looking forward to attempting them. But I'd been holding off on Timurids both for the new content and hoping for one or two achievements to go for.

When there basically is "form Italy", "form Germany", "form Russia", "play as France for 10 years", "play as Portugal for 50 years", "play as Castile for 100 years" as achievements, it's true that even a simple "form Mughals as Timurids" would not hurt anyone. There is no need for puns or historical references for achievements.

When there basically is "form Italy", "form Germany", "form Russia", "play as France for 10 years", "play as Portugal for 50 years", "play as Castile for 100 years" as achievements, it's true that even a simple "form Mughals as Timurids" would not hurt anyone. There is no need for puns or historical references for achievements.
Personally I'd love to see something about using the Ottoman Sultan as a footstool, given the history of the two empires, but I'd settle for that too.

I gave that as an extremely easy example of a possible achievement on par with standards of other big nations (Timurids starts as a GP, it is a big nation). Even in ROTW we have some achievements which basically are "replicate what historically happened", with Taungu and Butua for instance.

I would prefer other funnier ones, something like Timur's dream asking you to own certain provinces from Turkey to China for instance, or to have the Ottomans as your subject. Or a pun about a cultural/historical element, as it seems to be the direction of the new achievements.

I just saw Quill's peek on Cradle of Civilization, and I have to say exploit development is pretty useless.

Useless because it take too long? Or give you too little bonus?

You have be a little more specific.