• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th of March 2017

Hello everybody. When rounding off last week's Dev Diary, I was planning on bringing up a certain mechanic which has everyone who has touched it dazzled and not wanting to ever be without it. Something about Diplos and building with macros, I forget. Those who have been poking around the store page and done some leg work have been speculating over it.

In view of that and how I do love to read speculation, I will let you stew over what it could be for a couple weeks and instead take this week's Dev Diary talk about the first of our religion overhauls: Confucianism

It's high time Confucian got the spotlight. It's been a troubled child of religions in EU4, existing almost exclusively in China and Korea without its own mechanics. For owners of Mandate of Heaven though, that changes with the introduction of Confucian Harmony.

eu4_138.jpg

Confucian nations will have a value for the Harmony in their nation. As it grows, so too does their tolerance of the True Faith. By default, it grows by one every year, faster if they keep stability high and complete Humanism Ideas. Low Harmony will reduce tolerance of the True Faith as well as causing higher costs in development and hurting Meritocracy.

So keeping your nation's Harmony high will ensure good times for your nation, but there is a choice to be made. Converting provinces in your realm will cause Harmony to fall, scaling on the development of the province you convert, so at least in the short term, wiping out heathens may cause rough times for your nation.

For Confucian Nations though, they have the unique ability to Harmonize with other religions and religious groups. While Tengri nations have the ability to instantly Synchronize with one other faith, Confucian nations can gradually adopt and mesh with many religious. For Heretics, they can choose to gradually Harmonize with that religion, treating it as the True Faith. For Heathens, this process applies to that religious group.

Harmonizing with a religion is a process taken in the religious tab. A religion or group to Harmonize with is selected and the process of adapting with their beliefs will begin. This process will cost 3 Harmony per year, so more stable empires will have an easier time adopting new faiths, and will tick up a progress bar from 0 to 100 by 3 per year. Harmonizing is a long process punctuated with events, but the end result will be a religion or religious group that is treated as True-Faith for your nation for the rest of the game (Assuming you yourself remain Confucian)

eu4_139.jpg

Each Harmonized religion also gives a nation-wide bonus for 25 years

eu4_140.jpg

My totally Legit Korea in the above screenshot will now enjoy +2 tolerance of the True Faith for 25 years. Some of the other religious bonuses include:

Muslim: +10% Trade efficiency
Shinto: +10% Infantry Combat Ability
Jewish : +33% institution Spread

We'll leave the others for you to explore, and next week we'll discuss another religious mechanic added in Mandate of Heaven

Last edited:
You teeeeaaassssseeee!

DDRJake has gained the trait Cruel.

Wait, Jewish? Do you mean that Judaism will be represented more than two poor african provinces?

Probably not, it's just that they define a bonus for all existing religious groups. Just in case for some reason they happen to surive and thrive (through chance or player intervention).

Jewish : +33% institution Spread
Huh, this perplexes me. At game Start there are only two provinces with Jewish as the religion. So are you teasing us by saying "Well if you can conquer your way to the horn of Africa before Judaism is eradicated then be our guest enjoy your institution spread" or is there now a possibility for Judaism (or other religions) to resurface at some point. It's just I find it curious that you mentioned Jewish over say Shia or Tengri, two religions much more likely to stick around and Harmonize with.

Wait, Jewish? Do you mean that Judaism will be represented more than two poor african provinces?

Tengri syncretism and Fetishist cults both have specific mechanics for interacting with Judaism (and with Norse, which is represented by zero provinces in most games), so my guess is probably not.

Huh, this perplexes me. At game Start there are only two provinces with Jewish as the religion. So are you teasing us by saying "Well if you can conquer your way to the horn of Africa before Judaism is eradicated then be our guest enjoy your institution spread" or is there now a possibility for Judaism (or other religions) to resurface at some point. It's just I find it curious that you mentioned Jewish over say Shia or Tengri, two religions much more likely to stick around and Harmonize with.
I think the bold part is the correct answer. ;)

The post states that we harmonize with religious groups- all Muslims get Harmonized simultaneously, as I assume is also the case for Pagans.

Honestly this mechanic seems kind of underpowered for non-blobbing games, and the gradual acceptance of other religions seems like it would be widely applicable, not just to Confucians.

The post states that we harmonize with religious groups- all Muslims get Harmonized simultaneously, as I assume is also the case for Pagans.
True, Overlooked that bit, still why not chose Christianity then, why Judaism.