• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 7th of April 2020

Hey everyone! Today we’ll be talking about two changes, part of the patch coming along with the Emperor expansion. You’ve probably already spotted them both if you had a keen eye on one of our streams.

First feature is part of the Governing Capacity rework and some small rework of Government Reform Progress. We’ve changed so that changing a government reform no longer causes you to gain 10 corruption, instead it costs Government Reform progress to switch on a level you’ve already picked.

upload_2020-4-7_11-4-25.png

Now to the new feature that will be interacting both with Governing Capacity and the Reform Progress. The original intent with Reform Progress was that the larger your empire was, the slower you would be reforming your government and progressing through the reforms. Hence why it is affected by the autonomy of your empire as while expanding heavily your autonomy on average will be higher.

So in that spirit as well we are introducing a choice for the player to instead of reforming their government, they can expand the capabilities of their administration in order to integrate more of their conquered territories as core states. This action increases in cost every time it’s used.

This gives the player besides having to pick what land should be states, trade companies or territory, also a choice on if to advance and modernize their government or if to focus on making sure you have full control over the territory that you possess.

upload_2020-4-7_11-20-41.png

Next thing is a new institution we’ve added that is to go together with several of our late game additions we’ve been doing in this patch. We felt that you could just skip by without any technological disparity in the world for the last 80 years So we added a last institution to represent the Industrial revolution. This revolution started sometime after the 1750, as coal, steam engines saw their use increase and industries grew throughout Europe.

The requirements spawning are very much focused on the wealth from nations that have industrialized. It will spawn in any province that has 30 development, a Furnace built, the owner of the province are the leading producers of either iron, cloth or coal. If it is before 1760 it also requires that the province is in the highest trade node in the world. If the player lacks Rule Britannia, then coal and furnace requirements are replaced to focus on simply iron and cloth manufacturies.

This will give a spurt of technological advancement at the end of the game giving those who have modernized their economy an advantage.

So that’s it for this development diary, short but sweet. Next one will be written by @neondt and will be about the content regarding Imperial Diet’s such as Incidents and will be fairly more substantial.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I’m liking the expand administration feature. Seems like a nice way to get governing capacity early game when your a small country with low autonomy. Do the benefits stay with you the whole game?

Missa likey the government capacity stuff. :)

will have to see how moddable it is.

I’m liking the expand administration feature. Seems like a nice way to get governing capacity early game when your a small country with low autonomy. Do the benefits stay with you the whole game?

Yepp

If I have completed the Government Reform path, can I still invest Reform Progress into more Governing Capacity?

Yes, we did so you can continue to accumulate reform progress after you've finished the reforms.

@Groogy Did you know there are Hedgehogs on Jersey? Maybe you still want to reconsider and add the Channel Islands as province :p

I'm liking the map changes in Great Britain that I'm seeing there as well. Renamed East March and West March, and changed borders for areas are both very welcome.

@Groogy Did you know there are Hedgehogs on Jersey? Maybe you still want to reconsider and add the Channel Islands as province :p

I really respect your efforts and your tenacity in accomplishing your goals.

Could you give us some information about the automatic spread of the industrialization? From the screenshot, it seems that it only spreads in Centers of Trade, but not even in coal provinces? Also, in the screenshot the spawner of that institution has not embraced it in 26 years, and it hasn't spread anywhere, which seems a bit unlikely

I see a missed opportunity here for a fairly substantial tall play buff (a fantasy, given how the game is tuned towards warmongering, but still...).
What about giving unique government reforms to "tall" nations that fit specific criteria, for example: has low average autonomy, less than X provinces in states depending on age or embraced institutions, has high prosperity, less than Y territorial cores and so on (examples are just out of my head)? If a nation exceeds these limitations, it eventually loses these "tall reforms" after some grace period.
Another option would be a a set of buttons that could allow to spend government reforms on temporary buffs, like increased innovativeness, decreased development cost, trade or production efficiency or even some military bonuses at your choose. Smaller nations need some means to spend unused government reforms anyways.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Today we’ll be talking about two changes, part of the patch coming along with the Emperor expansion. You’ve probably already spotted them both if you had a keen eye on one of our streams.

First feature is part of the Governing Capacity rework and some small rework of Government Reform Progress. We’ve changed so that changing a government reform no longer causes you to gain 10 corruption, instead it costs Government Reform progress to switch on a level you’ve already picked.

View attachment 564023

Now to the new feature that will be interacting both with Governing Capacity and the Reform Progress. The original intent with Reform Progress was that the larger your empire was, the slower you would be reforming your government and progressing through the reforms. Hence why it is affected by the autonomy of your empire as while expanding heavily your autonomy on average will be higher.

So in that spirit as well we are introducing a choice for the player to instead of reforming their government, they can expand the capabilities of their administration in order to integrate more of their conquered territories as core states. This action increases in cost every time it’s used.

This gives the player besides having to pick what land should be states, trade companies or territory, also a choice on if to advance and modernize their government or if to focus on making sure you have full control over the territory that you possess.

View attachment 564026

Next thing is a new institution we’ve added that is to go together with several of our late game additions we’ve been doing in this patch. We felt that you could just skip by without any technological disparity in the world for the last 80 years So we added a last institution to represent the Industrial revolution. This revolution started sometime after the 1750, as coal, steam engines saw their use increase and industries grew throughout Europe.

The requirements spawning are very much focused on the wealth from nations that have industrialized. It will spawn in any province that has 30 development, a Furnace built, the owner of the province are the leading producers of either iron, cloth or coal. If it is before 1760 it also requires that the province is in the highest trade node in the world. If the player lacks Rule Britannia, then coal and furnace requirements are replaced to focus on simply iron and cloth manufacturies.

This will give a spurt of technological advancement at the end of the game giving those who have modernized their economy an advantage.

So that’s it for this development diary, short but sweet. Next one will be written by @neondt and will be about the content regarding Imperial Diet’s such as Incidents and will be fairly more substantial.

Should Industrialization not boost Production instead of Tax and Manpower?

Boosting Production and maybe troop movement to represent trains later on? That could be really interesting.

Very interesting :)
Are you planning to do something new and exciting with Corruption? I like the mechanic, but it always felt a bit divorced from the rest of the game to me, and removing it from changing reforms won't help that.