EU4 - Development Diary - 5th of March 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

neondt

Game Design Lead
Paradox Staff
103 Badges
Jul 24, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Good morning. As was foretold, I am back to talk about our thoughts on overhauling the map of the Balkans for the big end-of-year European update. Once again I’ll begin with a disclaimer that everything here is very much subject to change as we continue to listen to feedback and iterate on our own ideas throughout the year.

balkans_old.jpg

Behold: the Balkans in patch 1.4. And for reference, here are the Balkans as they are now, in patch 1.28:

balkans_new.jpg

The big change here is simply “more provinces”. Albania has been split up substantially, we have more Aegean Islands, and provinces density in Bulgaria is higher.

There is still, in my opinion, plenty of room for new provinces in Greece and Bulgaria. For the mainland we want to achieve a similar level of density as we see in Anatolia. One of the most obvious things we can do is split the Yanya province by adding Arta, one of the last Epirote cities to fall to the Ottomans. The return of the Epirus tag in 1444 heralds another change: the removal of the Corfu tag, at least in 1444. In the game right now, Corfu is a vassal of Venice and ruled by monarchs who were in fact the independent rulers of the Despotate of Epirus. This will change.

Other possibilities include a province that would more accurately reflect the Ottoman-Moldavian border in Silistria/Basarabia, a further split in the Aegean between Scio and Lesbos, and a separate province centered on the city of Tarnovo in Bulgaria.

greece_suggestion.jpg

This suggestion by Mingmung, and others very much like it, show a step in the right direction. Beyond what I’ve already mentioned, I like the idea of splitting Cephalonia from the Corfu province to add a little tactical depth to Epirus, as well as the addition of Corinth in the south. We are however unlikely to add extra provinces on Cyprus or Crete: outside of very large islands like Sardinia and Sicily we prefer to keep such places restrained to single provinces.

Moving north-west, there’s a lot that could be done in Serbia, Bosnia, and the Dalmatian coast. There’s room for a few more provinces of course, though not quite so many as we might need further south.

balkans_suggestion.jpg

This very aesthetically pleasing suggestion by ootats has a lot going for it. Representing Herzegovina/the Duchy of Saint Sava as a Bosnian vassal in 1444 is an interesting possibility. It also puts the province density on a level similar to that of Hungary, which I feel is a good target to aim for in the region. It is however unlikely that we’ll be adding both the Venetian provinces of Scutari and Cataro.

We’ve been reading your comments on the previous dev diary, and they’ve provoked a lot of discussion on Team Content Design. One of the results of these discussions is that we’re more open to a Como province that would split away from the northern part of what is now Milan. When the time comes for implementation it's certainly something we're willing to try out.

And that's all for today! Next week I invite you to join me on a wild ride through the confusing nightmarish mess that was Early Modern Germany. Until then, I look forward to more of your comments and suggestions.

So how will Core-Fu work? :p

When we make these kinds of changes we don't design around achievements. But one possibility is that we keep Corfu's core on Corfu so that it can be released immediately by Venice.

Pls add the Latin Empire as a formable nation

Very unlikely. There a possibility we might do something with the concept but I don't like it as a tag.

Also, i would like to ask about your thought regarding addition of Croatia as a junior partner in the personal union with Hungary which would be historically accurate.

I think having Croatia on the map in 1444 is desirable. At the very least we'll try it out in early implementation and see how it goes.

Why would you guys do something so controversial yet so brave

We've all collectively gone insane.

Do you consider adding Slovenian culture and the Count of Celje as a playable tag? In 1444 they were still independent princes of the empire, their rank being equal to the one of the Habsburgs'. They were quite influential at their time, with Barbara of Celje being the wife of Sigismund of Luxembourg and them meddling in the HRE and Hungarian politics, the last count even acted as a regent to Ladislaus the Posthumous. They held territories in Slovenia (Celje amongst other holdings) and Croatia ( City of Varasd) and had claims on the crown of Bosnia. At the time, they were one of the biggrlesr rivals of the Habsburgs and I believe they could be an interesting playthrough and achievements

This is certainly something we're thinking about. No promises yet but it's a distinct possibility that we'll see some sort of Slovenian presence in the European update.