• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll go into details about mechanics for some religions, that will become available with the next expansion.

Protestanstism
Each protestant church will have their own name in the interface, like Church of England and so on. You can then customise the benefits of your church, and also change it over time whenever you need. To change the aspect of your church, you have to spend Church Power.

Church Power is accumulated each month, depending on your current religious unity, and your monarchs abilities.

Adding an aspect to your church costs 100 church power, but you can remove an aspect at any time, but that will lower your stability by 1.

A Church can have up to 3 different aspects, and there are 12 different ones to pick from. Some of these include.

• Holy Sacraments: +2.5% Discipline
  • Individual Creeds: -5% Idea Costs
  • Adult Baptism: +1% Missionary Strength.

BwS3wNu.jpg

Buddhism
The Buddhist Faith gained the concept of Karma. Karma needs to be balanced, because if it goes too positive or negative, you end up with penalties. If you go too positive you end up with penalties to your diplomatic abilities, and if you go too negative, you end up with penalties to your military abilities.

However, If you keep a balanced karma, you gain bonuses to both diplomatic and military abilities.

Some examples on how you gain Karma include: Starting wars decrease Karma, while honoring defensive alliances increase Karma.

While adding the Karma mechanic and its related events it also became clear that the game setup could benefit from splitting the existing religion into Vajrayana, Mahayana and Theravada. These three religions will all use the same Karma mechanic but don't all share the same events related to it and can in some cases have different event options in the events they do share. Events related to Lamas are for instance reserved for the Vajrayana faith while only Theravada countries can turn to Ceylon for spiritual inspiration. The three religions also differ in what bonuses they provide.

u5fCLc8.jpg

Next week we will talk about about subjects and how to interact with them...

first
On a more insightful note these changes to protestantism look great. I can now justify going protestantism from a max mining as well as role playing perspective

Reactions:
Excellent, more variety in religions is always welcome, especially when it involves interactive mechanics of some sort and not just a completely passive system.

Reactions:
Wauw! Its finally worth it to go for Protestanstism.

Question,

Will Confucianism and Shinto get mechanics too? Kinda sad to see that other East Asian religions don't get any love at all...

Reactions:
Finally all three Western Christian faiths have unique mechanics... and with that said, Protestantism's mechanic seems awesome!

Will Confucianism and Shinto get mechanics too? Kinda sad to see that other East Asian religions don't get any love at all...

All in it's time, young Padawan. Designing and implementing a brand new mechanic ain't so cheap and easy that it can be done too many times per expansion.

Reactions:
Each protestant church will have their own name in the interface, like Church of England and so on.

Can we change the name or will it always be a default "Church of CountryName"?

Reactions:
Very nice!

Given that Orthodox Christianity has a decentralized nature but each Church in a state having common but different practices, will there perhaps be an Orthodox equivalent of the new Protestant mechanics?

Reactions:
I think the balance requirement of the Karma mechanic is different enough from Islamic piety to make it fun and interesting.

I'm curious whether or not Buddhism is still a part of the "Eastern" religious group, or if it is now its own "Buddhism" group.

Reactions:
Very cool.

I would like to see religious events for other religions as a province owner. Like, buddhist events if I'm a muslim or confucian or shinto or whatever, and own buddhist provinces. That could apply to many other mixes as well. I think Shinto gets a few events about buddhists, but that's one of the few exceptions. Obviously if you control all of India and don't convert it, you're going to be interacting with Hindu and Muslim populations on a very large scale, but that doesn't get any representation in events.

Reactions:
This is going to be one giant expansion. I want it so bad arghh! But what about Coptic? Will there be any changes?

Reactions:
Nice yet another player suggestion making it into the game.

However protestant that have -15% idea cost reduction + some other bonuses seems a bit over the top.

Is Buddhism in its own religious group now? seprated from confucian and shinito.

Reactions:
Cool changes to Protestantism. Also looking forward to subject interaction! Hopefully we get to force our religion on them or something.

Reactions:
Nice.

Will be interesting to see how the AI copes with it

Reactions:
Wauw! Its finally worth it to go for Protestanstism.

Question,

I like to think they are leaving the sino-japanese region alone so that they may get full attention at some later DLC, but who knows ^^

Reactions: