• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, and welcome back to Europa Universalis IV. Last week we talked about features, where most of them will be in the free update, but todays feature will all be part of the next expansion.

First of all, I’d like to mention that we are adding a new government form called English Monarchy, which England will start with. It will give +0.5 Legitimacy, -1 Unrest, -0.1 Monthly Autonomy and give them access to a Parliament.

So what is a Parliament? It is a new mechanic that Constitutional Monarchies & Constitutional Republics has as well. A Parliament is a political body inside your country, which will have debates that if they pass will give you benefits for a decade.

There is quite a lot of different possible debates, and you are allowed to pick one of five random eligible ones.

To have a debate pass, you need to have a majority of the seats backing the issue. Of course, when an debate is started, all seats are against it, and you need to convince them to back it.

Every Seat of Parliament will have their own reasons you must fullfill to have them back an issue, and their reasons will be different for each issue. A coastal Seat of Parliament may want to be Granted Navy commissions, which reduces your naval tradition, while another Seat may want monetary compensation, while another want some military support, or a fourth want some more autonomy. Luckily, you only have to get half of them to support you to get the debate passed.

Any non-overseas province can be granted a Seat in Parliament and your capital will always have a Seat. There is no way to remove a seat in Parliament, unless the province is lost.

A Seat gets +10% to tax, production & manpower, while reducing autonomy by 0.01 per month. However each Seat increases stability & war-exhaustion costs by 2%.

You are also required to grant at least of 20% of your non-overseas cores a Seat in Parliament, and if you have less than that, one random will be picked for you. There is alert if less than a third of your non-overseas cores have a Seat.

If there is no current debate, nor any active benefits of an issue, you will slowly lose legitimacy & republican tradition. And if a debate fails, you will lose 20 prestige, so it is not the end of the world, but its not something you want to happen all the time.

Here are three examples of current issues that can be pushed through your parliament.

Backing the War Effort is available if you are at war, and will give you +1 stability when passed, and a 10 year benefit of -0.05 War Exhaustion, and +10% Manpower recovery

Charter Colonies
is available if you have either filled the Expansion or Exloration ideagroup, and gives a +10 year benefit of +1 colonist and +20 colonial growth.

Increase Taxes
will give you about 1/4th of a years income, and increase your tax-income by 10% for 10 years.

Of course, all of these values will change the more we playtest it.

Only countries with Parliaments will get a button, opening the Parliament View, near the Papacy & HRE buttons. And yes, the button you talked about last week, in the province interface, is the one indicating if its a seat of parliament or not.

U4wjCj1.jpg

Next week, we'll focus on why we build walls.

More peacetime mechanics and (from the looks to it) a buff to England?

85473-south-park-NICE-meme-fi0v.png

Reactions:
Intriguing but too bad it'll come so late for anybody else aside England.

Also I wouldn't call it peace time mechanics, seems pretty easy to manage during war too but maybe the tall empire stuff will help with the peace stuff.

Reactions:
What will be the difference beetween English Monarchy and Constitutional Monarchies? Looks like it will make other monarchy types poor in comparison unless you plan to revamp other government types.

Reactions:
Is the policy mechanic going to be tied into this? It would be strange to have countries with parliamentary governments enacting policies without consulting parliament now that the mechanic exists.

Reactions:
I was hoping for better naval combat but I can't really argue with parliament features for free. Would this free update also by chance be including dynamic flags and/or tags?

Reactions:
Is the policy mechanic going to be tied into this? It would be strange to have countries with parliamentary governments enacting policies without consulting parliament now that the mechanic exists.

It would not suprise me if this mechanic replaces policies for those that have the expansion, as well this pretty much does the seame thing.

Hmmm. While this looks fantastic, I'm a bit less-than-sold on the whole 'giving support to make them agree in parliament' thing. Given that the only interactions in EUIV consist of either moving armies places or clicking buttons (click, stability raised, click autonomy increased...) I have a feeling that this is going to be a matter of 'choose debate', 'click the necessary four or five times', 'do nothing for ten years'.

So it is, admittedly, a step forward, but I don't think there are enough ways to interact with the game to make this a very meaningful mechanic. With the removal of sliders we can't even get a "Okay, I'll vote for you if you make us a little more narrow-minded..." or be forced to invest more in stability or whatever (over time) to get what we want. It's just a series of one-click actions, then boom you get your reward.

So I think the problem is twofold:
  • Too few ways to interact with the game: literally the only real interactions with the game world we have are moving armies, building buildings, and clicking in the country-control UI to immediately affect things, and;
  • Too little in the way of development, which follows on from the above point. I imagine that this parliament system will have various 'seats' demanding that the central government, say, become more tolerant (because that seat is in a Catholic province within a Protestant country, for example), but in current-game terms all this means is that they A) take the relevant decision/policy or B) take humanist ideas. I'd like to see these processes fleshed out more into at least a series of decisions with various requirements that give you actual objectives to fulfil in order to enact a policy. Or similar.
I also hope that this system is sufficiently built into the various other systems for it to feel like a cohesive part of the game (kind of like autonomy, the Holy Roman Empire and the Protestant Reformation do) rather than a tacked-on addition (which is sort of how Trade Companies feel, in my opinion). Off the top of my head, two vitally important mechanics I think need to be included to even approach the proper representation of parliaments are:
  • The parliament should be able to do stuff to affect the country other than just reduce prestige or give them a nasty tax income modifier. Parliament should be able to make demands, and if the king doesn't accede to them, I want to see civil wars breaking out, and;
  • The representation of colonial/non-majority culture/non-majority religion populations should definitely be an important factor in a parliament mechanic.
This is the very barest beginnings of what I mean by 'sufficiently built into the other systems' - parliaments should be inextricably linked to the autonomy and rebel systems, and they should also be linked to (at least) the colonial nations and liberty desire systems (do members of a personal union get representation? Vassals?)

I think Paradox is up to the challenge, if they put their minds to it... I just hope that they put in all the time and effort it deserves!

(And furthermore, this system, just like everything else you guys add, needs to be moddable. Please. Please!).

Reactions:
I can't really argue with parliament features for free.

Hello, and welcome back to Europa Universalis IV. Last week we talked about features, where most of them will be in the free update, but todays feature will all be part of the next expansion.

I get that it wasn't the most well-structured sentence, but surely the meaning isn't that hard to make out?

Reactions:
What will be the difference beetween English Monarchy and Constitutional Monarchies? Looks like it will make other monarchy types poor in comparison unless you plan to revamp other government types.

I guess mostly name (with slightly different bonus for English Monarchy). ALthough Constitutional Monarchy bonus seems to be better IMO, but you can not get it from start.

My question: what about Elective Monarchy? Polish/PLC Sejm == Parliament

Reactions:

Now that's what I'm talking about! Make parliament a limiting factor, not just a hander-out of bonuses, but make it work both ways! Can't convert religion without convincing parliament, can't enact policies, can't take decisions, can't choose idea groups... But if you do get parliament onside, it's awesome!

Reactions:
  • The parliament should be able to do stuff to affect the country other than just reduce prestige or give them a nasty tax income modifier. Parliament should be able to make demands, and if the king doesn't accede to them, I want to see civil wars breaking out, and;
  • The representation of colonial/non-majority culture/non-majority religion populations should definitely be an important factor in a parliament mechanic.
I agree with your whole post but this bit in particular is the most important part I feel and to add on to it I would hope that not giving out seats to provinces has repercussions also, especially in land connected to your capital.

As you said, if this turns in to a simple click some boxes for a modifier system it will be incredibly lacklustre.

Reactions:
Cool!

The benefits of English Monarchy:

First of all, I’d like to mention that we are adding a new government form called English Monarchy, which England will start with. It will give +0.5 Legitimacy, -1 Unrest, -0.1 Monthly Autonomy and give them access to a Parliament.

Constitutional monarchy OTOH is +1 legitimacy, -5 years of nationalism, +10% manpower recovery and -0.15 monthly autonomy. Mechanically superior in most circumstances, but English monarchy may have special events/decisions/debates that make it better. (And it's available from the start rather than tech 22.)

Reactions: