• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 29th of May 2018

Good day all and welcome to today's Dev Diary on the upcoming expansion Dharma and its accompanying 1.26 Mughals Update. Last week we talked about the changes to Estates and made vague promises that we would make good on our commitment to further the content in the Mission Trees introduced in the 1.25 England update.

The reception has been great on the mission trees since they have been introduced and we are fleshing them out more. Owners of Dharma will enjoy unique and involving mission trees for many nations in the subcontinent, including:

• Vijayanagar
  • Bahmanis
  • Delhi
  • Orissa
  • Bengal
  • Mughals
  • Mewar
  • Hindustan
  • Gujarat
  • Malwa
  • Taungu :D
  • Bharat

Quite the list. Let's pick two to show off here and now. Delhi I choose you!

DLH Missions.jpg

City of Agra mission requires 25 development, but the province has only 24. This mission can be fulfilled without manually raising development. WHAT COULD IT MEAN!?

Delhi, who once held a tight grip over Northern India have found their strength of rule largely eroded, so their mission tree very much reflects them being the Purple Phoenix of the subcontinent. Note that Delhi is now a formable nation, so any nation looking to pick up that crown can enjoy the Delhian mission tree.

Now looking over to the Mughals, who now have access to a very deep mission tree, telling the tale of their magnificent rise to power in India and beyond.

Mughal Missions.jpg

Art not final, not all icons will be blazing cannonfire. At least not the same blazing cannonfire

Of course we could be here all day detailing the different mission trees, but I want to also turn attention to the more minor nations in the region. For everyone who grabs the 1.26 Mughals Update, we have re-purposed the generic tree for India into two group trees. There is now a Mission Tree for North Indians and South Indians. Let's see the Southern one:

South Indian Missions.jpg

Note that the centre column is reserved for religious missions and vary for Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims

Another bit of feedback we got on the mission redux was that generic missions felt too bland as they were the same for all nations across the world if they didn't get fancy unique missions. Of course we have no intention of the experience being something that can be called "bland" so in one of many steps towards this, we have revamped the generic missions for all the Indians as such in the free 1.26 Mughals Update.

One last set of missions I want to turn to are the Russians. The mission tree rework of Rule Britannia came after Third Rome, leaving the Russian's a bit left out when it came to their Mission choices. We have taken the opportunity during the development of Dharma to right this grievous wrong. All owners of Third Rome will, in the 1.26 Update, enjoy access to mission trees for Muscovy, Novgorod, Russia and Russian Minors.

Muscovy, Novgorod and the Minors will all have access to their mission tree at start, which will morph into the grand Russian tree upon forming Russia. Let's look at the Muscovy into Russia trees.

MOS Missions.jpg

RUS missions.jpg

I'm getting the Oprah Winfrey feeling when it comes to these mission trees today, so next week we'll turn our focus elsewhere. There is a French phrase "never a two without a three" and we're applying that to our system reworks. We've redone Governments as well as Estates in 1.26. The third is what we'll cover next week, and I think I'll let @Groogy cover that one as he's rather pleased with it. I'll put my feet up in the mean time.

Of course, today we pop the cork on our new Dev Clash. This time we have players duking it out both in India and Europe, notable with major countries as AIs. This has been something long requested, so I can't wait to see how it pans out in EU4 Dev Clash #11 - Baltic Elephants

Last edited:
I promise next weeks diary by me will be up in time :oops:

Are you guys going to make the Third Rome DLC more expensive now that they get extra content? I'm going to be REALLY disappointed if it's not appropriately worth $25.

It's very nice to return to Russia and to fill Third Rome with even more content. Thanks a lot!

City of Agra mission requires 25 development, but the province has only 24. This mission can be fulfilled without manually raising development. WHAT COULD IT MEAN!?
So, the growing of development is automated now? Or is it just a decision similar to 'make Constantinople capital' decision?

The mughals should have a mission near the end "become emperor of china" which sets a flag to them which allows them to claim the mandate even if they are Muslim.

but how would they get their mandate up?
Can't the emperor always have tributaries regardless of his religion? Because you can already get it as pagan then religion flip right?

Last edited: