• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 28th January 2016

Hello everyone, today we’ll start talking about 1.16 and what it will contain. The development team is busy working on 1.15.1 at the same time, which we hope is out ASAP.

One of the fun part of working on the Europa Universalis series over the last decade has been the constant evolvement of the map. Today we’re proud to announce some of the map changes for 1.16, with a quick look of Europe.

Ireland in Crusader Kings II is known as tutorial island, as an entire game in itself. In EU so far, ireland have not been properly represented, and more been shown as poor as it became after a long time of english rule. Now Ireland is richer in 1444, and not just a quick conquest for England within 5 years. Ireland also have 9 provinces, where it had five before, and several new interesting nations to play.

1hwBi0H.jpg

We’ve also tweaked the map to better borders and provinces in Hungary, and I hope you’ll enjoy this setup.
d8RKV3E.jpg

We also made a complete overhaul of how cultures work to remove the ties to language, and tie them more together to similar cultures, to create more historically plausible countries and relations.

DxJVBOu.jpg

Now, for some community fun, try to find as many changes on the map compared to 1.15 in this screenshot and list below!

mEHgjG4.jpg

Next week I’m back talking about a new concept that is getting in the game for 1.15, which can be seen in the topbar on these screenshoys.

Reactions:
So not gonna lie I was not expecting this much. I saw the France changes from another thread and I was like "Oh western Europe is getting a touch up." Nope. Looks like waaaaaaaay more than western Europe is getting some love. I am loving at how the provinces lead into each other however the new culture thing has me a bit intrigued but I wanna see more of what you guys intend in further dev diaries. So far I think I am gonna like this newest update and also I want to say thank you. You guys have worked on this game for a long while now for us and yourselves and it shows that you guys see this game as more than just another paycheck. I am incredibly happy that you have continued to support this game with so much effort (and not just this game but this isn't the forum for the others :p ). I can't wait to see what you guys got in store for us in 1.16 :)

Reactions:
Slovak culture! Nice. Will it be a new tag as well?
It seems to be in wrong culture group tho - should be in West Slavic.
It's debatable. As far as I know during this period the Slovaks were definitely influenced a lot by the Hungarians. They did have a Slavic language but they were joined at the hip with Hungarians up until the 1800s, I think.

Reactions:
Nice changes to Ireland, though calling 60% of Munster Limerick seems a bit dubious.

The early O'Briens were called kings of Limerick by the invaders.

Ireland looks nice, but its provinces have English names...
Always did though. I wonder will Cork represent the Earl of Desmond or McCarthy Mór. Will there be McDonnells in Ulster or Clandeboye?

Reactions:
Reactions:
Russian culture is divided between Muscovite, Novgorodian and Ryazanian. I have mixed feelings about this (was there really enough differences between people of Novgorod and muscovites to justify separate cultures? I don't know.). But it's great that you finally divided scottish culture between lowlands (english group) and highlands (celtic group).

Reactions:
YES! FINALLY! My home Country is being better represented!! Thank you Paradox. Also the culture change better bring Scotish back into the Celtic culture group.

Reactions:
Shouldn't Czech and Silesian be part of the German group by that logic?
Ps. Highlander and low lander culture
Czech language and culture is slavic. They have german words but the way the grammar works and everything they are slavs. I don't know why everybody gets it so confused.

Reactions: