• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of November 2018

Good day all and welcome to a new development diary for EU4. We have by now covered most all of the gameplay content and features coming with Golden Century and the 1.28 Spain Update. Today, let's get to some of the eye candy.

As Golden Century is an Immersion Pack, that means it comes with new unit models built-in. It also contains new music focused on Spain and the New World.

First, let's check out the Units. While the majors in the region already enjoy their own unit models, we reached out to those who have long deserved their own and have added infantry models for Granada, Navarra, Galicia/Leon and Salé. Each get 4 different models, one for each Tier of unit as warfare evolves with the integration of the firearm.

Granada will do well to see themselves into the era where they can use firearms, but at least they'll look dapper until then.
eu4_547.jpg

Navarra may have lost her coast, but she gained a good mesh of functional and elegant gear.
eu4_548.jpg

Leon and Galicia, the releasable nations from Castile, both share their unit models, but keep a distinct look from their Castilian brothers.
eu4_549.jpg

Salé, the potential pirate nation of the Maghreb, already look like they are up to no good, and appear to have already plundered rifles.
eu4_550.jpg

Now the plan was to make 5 different unit packs and have Andalucia as our 5th set. As we were concepting these designs though, we felt there was too much overspill between Granada and Andalucia model designs. As such, we decided that Granada and Andalucia would share their models, and we would still make a 5th set of models, but for our new additions in the Caribbean.

eu4_551.jpg

eu4_552.jpg

eu4_553.jpg

eu4_554.jpg

Caribbean Pirates themselves have received new unit models, evolving through the ages and, while we resisted the call of Hollywood designs, keeping to a more fitting, if threatening look.

Although the addition of unit models in Golden Century is not limited to the units on land, we have also given the Iberians, as well as the Berbers, their own Ship Designs. These extend to all 17 different unit models seen in the game.

Let's use the heavy ships as an example, for the Iberians they will get new ship looks from the smallest of Carracks
eu4_559.jpg

To the mightiest of threedeckers.
eu4_558.jpg

Similar story for the Berbers.
eu4_557.jpg

eu4_556.jpg

As a final note, there will be three pretty sweet music tracks added with Golden Century. Sadly I cannot share these in all their glory right now, but we do have a preview of one of the tracks which was played during our First Look stream of Golden Century last week. Check it out here:

(43:30 timestamp for the music)

That's our lot for today. We'll be back next week to shed light on the ten new Achievements which will be added in 1.28 Spain.

EDIT 2018-12-06: CLICK HERE FOR RENDERS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Seeing the unchanged map from one month ago in those screenshots is what cuts me deepest.
I mean knew they wouldn't listen to the comunity, they explicitly said so, but it still hurt nevertheless.

Well lads, this was it, all hopes of fixing the mess of Portugal and giving more flavour to Spain anywhere near the likes Third Rome, Rule Brittania and Dharma in this DLC is dead now.
I hope someone makes a mod on what this DLC should have been.

Now about this DD, at least the Leonese/Galician models look good. Too bad we will never actually see them.
Granadan units look good too, too bad they will die before i blink.
The Pirate units look great, but of course they do, they were the main focus of this DLC all along. (m still mad disney Pirates got more attention than Iberia itself).
I appreciate the ships, but they seem a bit generic to me, they dont seem to capture the Portuguese or Moroccan "look".

Last edited:
HoI4 doing massive reworks with last 2 DLC
You're funny. The first "massive rework" HoI4 will be getting is MtG, and while the naval rework looks stunning, a large chunk of the expansion is just re-adding fuel and mechanics surrounding it; something that was already there in HoI3 and should've been in HoI4 at release.

People seem to have forgot the difference between a full Expansion and a Immersion pack.... It's a shame, all this hate...
People seem to think a company can just indefinetly support a game and make new shit without asking a rather small payment for it. nearly 2000 into the game, and maybe paid €200,- for all DLc's.

I have bought countless games for €60.- who dont offer me over 30 Hours of gameplay. and those games dont get improved everytime.

Reality of the grown up world seems to elude some people here...
Also the difference between a Flavour expansion and a real Gameplay expansion seems to elude even more people.
People also 'expect' free shit, like all those new countries in the new world, and those hundreds of new provinces in India and America... you go to lets say (Total War) and see what you get for free there.... in al my years of gaming have never seen a company more loyal to its following than Paradox.., dont like a Expansion, dont buy it, dont hate it.. i have skipped numerous CK2 dlc's because i didnt care about them, but i didnt complain about them, because other people DO want them.

the Disloyalty in this community is pathetic.

- Features no one asked for or even want.
- Pirating was already in the game and you could already do this?!
- Focus on tiny texture details on nations no one plays.
- Fails to portray Spain
- Fails to portray Portugal

As usual.
- No fixes for actual game issues, rather creating new game balance issues.
- The whole "idea group" re balance actually didn't change anything at all?
- Utterly ignoring the community.
- Ignoring the desperate need for repackaging the Core game with some DLCs.

This is at best a free content update or like a 2.99$ unit pack with Iberia flavor?

//EDIT// Deleted Personal attacks - more of that stuff and more severe actions will be taken //BjornB

Last edited by a moderator:
People seem to have forgot the difference between a full Expansion and a Immersion pack.... It's a shame, all this hate...
People seem to think a company can just indefinetly support a game and make new shit without asking a rather small payment for it. nearly 2000 into the game, and maybe paid €200,- for all DLc's.
This has the lowest amount of dev diaries and features but same price. Also
For the territories they covered they could've added so many things to have more dev diaries than Dharma.

Also half of the content is free and not related at all to the concept of an "immersion pack" while not fixing bugs from years ago.

This has the lowest amount of dev diaries and features but same price.
For the territories they covered they could've added so many things to have more dev diaries than Dharma.

And did you post that at the anouncement or at the Suggestion topic ? those supposed things they could have added?

And did you post that at the anouncement or at the Suggestion topic ? those supposed things they could have added?
If you look at the suggestions forum many people have already suggested many things. I don't know but these dev diaries are the largest threads of all dev diaries and it's mostly complains.

1st dev diary: free and wrong changes
2nd: free and not related at all to the immersion pack.
3rd: half free, then you have something fitting, but is more of that things the AI can't use.
4th: free, unnecesary or unrelated to the immersion pack
5th and 6th: Quests, "national ideas for iberian nations", no, not for Portugal, also ideas are free.
7th: Pirates
8th: Units

What you are paying: Basically 2 dev diaries the same as what the Poland patch brought????
Quests and provinces that's what Poland patch brought. I mean it's not the price that I complain about, it's that the "immersion pack" doesn't feel immersive, it's just quests and they don't even change Portugal ideas which have 2 times trade efficiency, what the heaven???

Last edited:

I have bought countless games for €60.- who dont offer me over 30 Hours of gameplay. and those games dont get improved everytime.

Also the difference between a Flavour expansion and a real Gameplay expansion seems to elude even more people.
People also 'expect' free shit, like all those new countries in the new world, and those hundreds of new provinces in India and America... you go to lets say (Total War) and see what you get for free there.... in al my years of gaming have never seen a company more loyal to its following than Paradox.., dont like a Expansion, dont buy it, dont hate it.. i have skipped numerous CK2 dlc's because i didnt care about them, but i didnt complain about them, because other people DO want them.

The problem isn't that this isn't enough, the problem is that this could be enough if they actually listened to what the comunity wanted in the first place.
They changed what we didn't really want changed, and didnt change what we desperately wanted changed.
They added meaningless or poorly researched features instead of the ones we actually asked for for a long time.
They made a decent pirates DLC, when all we asked for was to give flavour to Iberia.

And they are well cappable of doing what we ask for, they have done it time after time before, the only reason they didn't do it for Iberia wasn't lack of time or resources, it was lack of interest.

It would be nice if the Catholic Majors unit pack got released again, so that many players aren't stuck with Spain/Castile without unique models. The concept of immersion packs is kinda flawed when combined with the PDX cosmetic DLC policy. Currently Iberian/Maghrebi/Central + South American models are split into these DLCs:

1. Catholic Majors – Castile/Spain T1, T3, T4, also works for Navarra as of now
2. Catholic League – Castile/Spain T2
3. Conquistador UP – Portuguese and shared Spanish colonial models in Americas
4. Cossacks content pack – Spanish/Castilian cavalry
5. Common Sense content pack – Portugal
6. El Dorado content pack – Central and South American natives:
7. Mare Nostrum content pack – Maghrebi nations (still without Tlemcen and several minors)
8. Trade Nations unit pack – Aragon

Pretty scary list if you just want regional flavour, considering the overall price. This is something that immersion packs should provide out of the box I believe.
Wow. That's even worse than I imagined. Thanks for the list.

Russian inmmersion pack: especial governement, especial unit, better religion
English inmersion pack: bad pack, but good ideas, mission tree and unique naval doctrines for a very powerfull naval England.
Spanish inmersion pack: good missions for spanish and features for all factions, but nerfs spanish ideas and dont get the necesary upgrade to beat France in early-middle game in land. Also no features for the conquest of the new world. With an especial unit (tercios) with more maintenance but better drill gain and infantry combat hability and some to look like conquistadores,(as they were private nobles, no the spanish army, so they must be an option to release an ia army to take an state for you by a cost and a 50% devastation), but only with an special unit recutable only in América with better raid speed and devastation by month for iberian national i will be happy.

Last edited:
The problem isn't that this isn't enough, the problem is that this could be enough if they actually listened to what the comunity wanted in the first place.
They changed what we didn't really want changed, and didnt change what we desperately wanted changed.
They added meaningless or poorly researched features instead of the ones we actually asked for for a long time.
They made a decent pirates DLC, when all we asked for was to give flavour to Iberia.

And they are well cappable of doing what we ask for, they have done it time after time before, the only reason they didn't do it for Iberia wasn't lack of time or resources, it was lack of interest.

But what flavour can you get in Iberia? Castille was a Dominant force, and after the Historic PU over Aragon they were the Hegemon there. They always were Friends with Portugal, and at the start date, had already killed the Islamic countries in Spain. and the Maghrebi's just are not powerfull enough to challenge them, WHICH IS HISTORIC. i dont see how you can get more flavour here, other then adding a shit ton of provinces, so wars are more interesting, which they are doing now, to some extend.

i honestly thought America and the HRE need the most work, and America is getting it now.

I can't believe I have to buy Castilian/Spanish/Aragonese/Portuguese models separately.

How about unlocking them for those that own this Immersion Pack jeez.

>Spanish Update
>Barely touched Spain
>No unit models for Spain
>Meme Pirates (which would be fine except they're literally like half the pack)
>Unit models for the meme (again, fine, except we're paying for it, instead of the meme being free or packed in with actual Spanish models).

ofcourse but this is not a full DLC , so you cant expect a full list of features like in Dharma.
Also you say the Decreasing Quality ofDLC's , do you also think that about the Major DLC's like Dharma and Cradle of Civilization ?

and lett me ask you this. if this Immersion pack included all those new provinces and countries in the new world, would you have thought it to be a better dlc then, for say €15.-
(if they had never done free patches but always added it in the immersion packs)

Adding three buttons to spend your mana on is not meaningful content. And let's not forget the disastrous Spanish province rework that showed how the developers couldn't care about this DLC and just did it for the money. 0 historical research, Asturias tag added for the sake of adding it instead of something, that even it might not have existed independent, it could actually be more believable like the kingdom of Toledo. We even had to demand a Balearic Islands tag.

BTW, what happened to Valencia and Balearian tags, they don't exist? No NI's no new units?
Let's talk about the fact that Portugal got only 1 new province that looks like a tumor protuding into the old provinces of Portugal. Portugal only got 2 new provinces since 1.0, and this is counting the new one they are going to add. Ireland got 8 new provinces.

And what about the rework of the NI's of Spain that had to be corrected because it was awful and Castillian ideas still have ahistorical flavor?
Portugal hasn't got new NI's
Berbers still have trash tier NI's

Should I complain more or that's enough for you?

Russian inmmersion pack: especial governement, especial unit, better religion
Also no features forma the conquest of the new world. With an especial unit (tercios) with more maintenance but better drill gain and infantry combat hability and some to look like conquistadores,(as they were private nobles, no the spanish army, so they must be an option to release an ia army to take an state for you by a cost and a 50% devastation), but only with an special unit recutable only in América with better raid speed and devastation by month for iberian national i will be happy.

You really need a better unit to deal with natives, are you kidding me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.