• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
Nice! Hopefully this will help keeping the balance of power in Scandinavia better. Especially good change with Norway. Also, is the "Lille Belt" open from Fyn -> Ostjylland and Fyn -> Midtjylland?

Reactions:
i wonder if this is the (in)famous peasant republic in Holstein. What would its government be?

Reactions:
Reactions:
Reactions:
Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes.
Know thyself, know thy enemy ;). Map changes are always nice as is the political map mode.

Reactions:
While the new political mapmode is…interesting, I find the juxtaposition of realistic-looking terrain with large blocks of solid saturated color a bit jarring. It's weird because I like it in the Norway screenshot (that looks cool), but not the North America one, so…I'm conflicted. :confused:

I'll reserve final judgement for after actually playing with it, but could I ask—if it's not too much work—that there be an option to leave the political mapmode the way it is now? Thanks.

Also, province changes are always cool. :D

Reactions:
I'm a little bit concerned about the new political map mode. It might make telling where a wasteland begins and uncolonized provinces end a bit difficult at a glance. Not that I haven't largely memorized the wastelands already, but still. Maybe it's more obvious in-game than what the screenshots are suggesting.

Reactions:
I think it fits very well because it looks like you're actually painting a world map now. ;)
Indeed, but I like my paintings stylistically consistent. This is like having the Mona Lisa with a few cartoon smiley faces scattered about—the two visual styles clash. I love the terrain map, I think it's really beautifully done, and I like the (current) political map too, I just...don't particularly like them together. I dunno. Maybe it looks better in actual play. I do like how it looks in the Norway picture, like I said. I'm willing to give it a try, I'd just like to know if there will be an option to disable it in case I don't like it. :)

Reactions: