• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 Development Diary - 25th February 2016

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll talk about features that will be part of the next patch, and will enhance the historical feeling of the game.

The first of these major paradigm shifting concepts is what we refer to as States and Territories. A large part of the game has been related to what you can do with a province depending on if it is overseas or not. With the overseas concept, there have been very many limitations that have reduced immersion.

What we have now, is that every region you own and control is represented as a Territory. Provinces in a Territory, unless the Territory is upgraded to a State, is considered overseas for almost all previous rules when it comes to things like coring, autonomy, trade companies etc. So why would you not just make everything into a state then you ask?

Well.. First of all, each state that is not your capital has a maintenance cost in gold, which is dependent on its development, the distance to the capital and if it is on another continent or not.

Secondly, there is a limit on how many states your empire can control. Everyone can have at least 1 state in their realm, with a Kingdom being able to add 1 more state, and an Empire 2 more states. All non-tribal states can also add another state, and the Celestial Empire can have 2. Administrative technologies can add up to 7 more states to your realm, and if you get the administrative ideagroup fully filled out, you get another state as well.

You can at any time abandon a state to become a territory, but then it’s autonomy will grow to 75% immediately, while it takes time for it to decay down after making a territory to a state.

Your capitals region is always a state, and can not be downgraded to a territory. Another benefit from this is the rule change when it comes to capitals. You can now move capital to any province in a state that is your core.

Coring in a Territory is 50% cheaper, but the cores created are “colonial cores”, which require an instant upgrade cost when it becomes a state. If a province is still a colonial core and not upgraded when a state, the autonomy will not go below 50%.

While doing this we have revised the setup of regions on the map, so they are more similar in the amount of provinces they contain.

uw9kMf4.jpg

Our second large feature from today is Corruption. Corruption is a state in your country, easily seen in the topbar. The higher corruption you have the worse off your country becomes. Corruption affects all power costs in a country by up to 100%, and it also increases minimum autonomy by up to 50%. Corruption also affects your defence against hostile spies and your capacity to build up spynetworks in another nations.

Corruption increases include the following.
  • Mercantilism
  • Being an Empire
  • Hostile Spy Action
  • Having one tech being more than 2 techs behind another.
  • Being more than 1 tech behind a neighbour.

Corruption is reduced by the following.
  • Investing money, you now have a slider indicating how much money you want to spend on combating corruption. This cost is scaled like advisor costs are scaled through time.
  • Being ahead of time in administrative or diplomatic technology.
  • Being a Duchy
61T6yeq.jpg

The actual numbers are still in the balance phase here, so won't mention them just yet..

There are alerts indicating if corruption is growing or not, and there are plenty of events triggering and/or affecting corruption. Having no corruption, and not having corruption growing can even trigger some really beneficial events.

Finally, one of the remaining espionage actions we mentioned in an earlier development diary is related to corruption. You can for a very high cost of your network place down a spy to increase corruption in the target country for five years. Of course, only one can do it in the target at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Looking great! Is there any hints as to what we can expect for next week?
Also does creating a state in the New World prevent colonies? I don't know if I fully understand the concept, so I'll have to re-read it. Finally, Is Orkney now starting off as Scottish territory? It might just be the "Britain" yellow making it look like it's now Scottish, but its hard to tell.

Reactions:
Very interesting. When you talk about enhancing historical feeling, does that refer to the incentive to expand in those regions that are already states ?

Also, will the game go through a massive deflation in terms of number of soldiers, amounts of money etc. that can be generated ? Looks like it will if higher powers can't run at full capacity.

Reactions:
Nations like Prussia/Brandenburg thats exist in the middle of 3 diffrent regions how does this affect the ability for the nation to developt? The concept of De jure terrotories from CK2 that change when you hold it long enougt, is that somthing comming to EUIV?

Great post otherwise, looking forward for more historical gameplay mecanics.

Reactions:
so making states out of overseas provinces gives the benefit of lower autonomy?
any other bonuses?
because the extra merchants from oversea trade companies are are realy handy or can you still make trade companies in state provinces?

Reactions:
Great stuff. For clarification, what is the intension for introducing states and territories? Is it just to reflect the difficulty of managing a pre industrial empire?

Reactions:
Are you concerned players will move their capital in "gamey" ways to minimize distances? Eg, would a Portugal in Iberia, Africa, and Asia always want to move its capital to the cape?

Reactions:
I really hope these effects mostly affect super blobs that most players create in the late game because it sounds like it could severely limit medium sized countries as well when they are unfortunate and get a bad ruler, etc.

What happens when people play like usual with these systems at times, neglecting dip tech a bit, etc.?

Reactions:
Corruption sounds uh... I don't like it. I'll be honest. There're too many things that make it tick up that're entirely out of the player's control. I can't just not have mercantilism, as every nation starts with 10% mercantilism at the start of the game. I can't just not be an empire if I'm playing a nation that starts as one. Of note is that the hostile spy action double-dips into itself. It raises corruption, which lowers spy defense, which makes it harder to stop the spy from raising your corruption. That seems incredibly foul.

States could or could not be interesting. I'd have to see how they play; withholding judgment.

Reactions:
So, if my capital is in Aachen and I conquer a neighboring province in the Netherlands, it would be considered overseas and get the autonomy floor because it's in a different region? Or does the distance to capital take effect here as it did for Spain and the provinces in North Africa?

Reactions:
Nice features, I'm also looking forward to a Dev. diary about the new "condottieri" income thing, hopefully it is a new mercenary mechanic...

Last edited:
Reactions:
1) Wait, so a Territory has 50% minimum LA, but making a State into a Territory shoots this up to 75% before ticking down?

1b) Edit: N/A

2) Estates. I'm guessing you cannot assign Estates in Territories (which would bypass previous distant-overseas restrictions)?

3) So Corruption LA only affects States? (Territories already have 50% autonomy?) I guess Territory corruption is already accounted for by their LA floor...

+ Why is there Corruption for unbalanced tech research? Basically all player RotW games will feature high corruption....

Reactions:
Are you concerned players will move their capital in "gamey" ways to minimize distances? Eg, would a Portugal in Iberia, Africa, and Asia always want to move its capital to the cape?

not a major problem imho. most portuguese players abandon europe if its weak anyway.

Reactions:
1) Wait, so a Territory has 50% minimum LA, but making a State into a Territory shoots this up to 75% before ticking down?

2) Estates. I'm guessing you cannot assign Estates in Territories (which would bypass previous distant-overseas restrictions)?

3) So Corruption LA only affects States? (Territories already have 50% autonomy?) I guess Territory corruption is already accounted for by their LA floor...

+ Why is there Corruption for unbalanced tech research? Basically all player RotW games will feature high corruption....

1) no, its 75

Reactions:
Thanks Johan for the diary. These changes sound awesome and could finally keep the game interesting after the first 50-100 years as difficulty actually increases instead of decreases with country size (assuming the modifiers are properly balanced)!

Reactions:
1) no, its 75

" You can at any time abandon a state to become a territory, but then it’s autonomy will grow to 75% immediately, while it takes time for it to decay down after making a territory to a state. "

" Coring in a Territory is 50% cheaper, but the cores created are “colonial cores”, which require an instant upgrade cost when it becomes a state. If a province is still a colonial core and not upgraded when a state, the autonomy will not go below 50%. "

? I am confused...

Reactions: