• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th of March 2020

Hi and Welcome to yet another Europa Universalis Development Diary!

We talked a little bit about what is happening to the Catholic Faith in a development diary back in August 2019. Let's delve into that at first, before we talk about completely new features, and remember. All of this is part of the Emperor Expansion.

Curia Coffers
First of all, the Curia has its own pool of money, the Curia Coffers, which is accumulated each month from contributions from each catholic country. The contribution depends on the development controlled by the Clergy estate in each country. Catholic Nations can also Buy Indulgence to increase the Curia Coffers and

The Curia Coffers can then be spent on the following.
  • Call the Ecumenical Council
  • Assign Cardinals
  • Investigate Heresy
  • Papal Bulls
  • Council of Trent Actions.
Ecumenical Council
The Ecumenical Council is a way for the Papal Controller to siphon their own money into the Curia Coffers to increase their influence to become the next Papal Controller.

Cardinals
Assigning Cardinals is a new Diplomatic Action that Curia Controller can do. By spending an amount of the Curia Coffers the target nation will gain a Cardinal. The Curia Controller gains influence towards becoming the controller at the next papal election, and the target nation increases their opinion of the Curia Controller.

The Pope can also spend their own money to Appoint a Cardinal from one of their own provinces, if any of them lack a Cardinal. This increases Corruption by 5%, but sometimes it is needed.

Of course there will be Cardinals appointed automatically each year as before.
eu4_4.png

Investigate Heresy
Investigate Heresy is an action where the Papal Controller can spend money from the Curia Coffers to reduce the Reform Desire by 5%, while making Reform Desire grow 10% faster in the future. This is a way to delay the Reformation if you so desire.

Golden Bulls
For each Pope, the Curia Controller can pick one new Golden Bull, which will define that Pope’s life. This of course cost money from the Curia Coffers, and there are six different Golden Bulls to pick from. What is interesting with these Golden Bulls, is the fact that they affect ALL catholic nations.

Apostolicae Servitutis
-50% Curia Power Cost (The old Catholic Ones)

Christian Pictas

-5% Development Cost
+1 Tolerance of Heretics

Dei Gratia Rex

+0.5 Yearly Absolutism
-2 Unrest in Catholic Provinces
-25% Drill Decay

Illius Qui Se Pro Divini

Enabled Crusades after the Age limit!

Immensa Aeterni Dei

-10% Institution Embracement cost
+25% Institution Spread
Cardinals will spread institution if the institution has been embraced in a province of another Cardinal or the capital of the Curia(Rome).

Libertas Ecclesiae:

+20% Imperial Authority Growth
+15 Imperial Reform Approval by Catholic Princes
Available if Emperor & Catholic is Official Religion of the Empire

Council of Trent
A few decades after the Reformation has started to ravage Europe, there will be something called The Council of Trent that will last about 50 years at maximum, or until the Papal Controller has picked four different changes to the Church.

When the Council is active, rulers of Catholic Nations can set their position as either Harsh or Conciliatory. At default all nations are neutral, and at every new ruler in your nation you get the opportunity to change your position.

Neutral Position
-33% Resistance to Reformation Centers.

Harsh Position
-20 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Resistance to Reformation Centers
+2% Missionary Strength
-25% Institution Spread

Conciliatory Position
+10 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Resistance to Reformation Centers
+25% Improve Relations
-5% Heretic Missionary Strength

The Curia Controller is the one that picks the concessions, and they are quite costly, costing 2000 gold from the Curia Coffers, which is reduced by up to 1500 depending how many Cardinals that are from Countries supporting the stance taken in the concession. And you can only take one concession in each pair, and the effect is applied to all Catholic nations. The Harsh ones all add -20 opinion of heretics to all Catholic countries, and Conciliatory adds +10 opinion, so the Papal Controller can really control how fractured Christianity will be during the Council.

First Concession
Heresy Trials (Harsh) +1% Heretic Missionary Strength
Secret Confessions (Conciliatory) +2 Tolerance of Heretics

Second Concession
Roman Catechism (Harsh) +10% True Faith Institution Spread
Non-Latin Bible (Conciliatory) +5% Institution Spread

Third Concession
Soldiers of Christ (Harsh) +10% Manpower in True Faith
Rescinding Celibacy (Conciliatory) +5% Manpower

Fourth Concession
Catholic Mysticism (Harsh) -10% Warscore Cost vs Other Religions
Sola Fide (Conciliatory) -20% Curia Power Cost
eu4_5.png

Hope you enjoyed this short but detailed Development diary, and next week we’ll talk more about the Imperial Diet.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I don't know... ask Francis I of France. Was he excommunicated? The Ottomans will be extremely weak in the next patch. The last thing we want is to make them even weaker. Poor little Ottomans! They're so cute!

1) Did you READ the link? King Francis was imprisoned in Madrid at first.
2) The alliance was deemed unholy
3) EU4: there are no (none, zero) French - Ottoman events
4) Weak Ottomans? WHAT? Google "Top 10 Strongest Starting Nations in EU4 youtube" Ottomans are #1 - by AlzaboHD on Feb 2019.

1) Did you READ the link? King Francis was imprisoned in Madrid at first.
2) The alliance was deemed unholy
3) EU4: there are no (none, zero) French - Ottoman events
4) Weak Ottomans? WHAT? Google "Top 10 Strongest Starting Nations in EU4 youtube" Ottomans are #1 - by AlzaboHD on Feb 2019.
He still didn´t face any repercussions by the Pope so allowing the Pope to excommunicate cause of that is unhistorical.

"sola fide" as a "concession" makes absolutely no sense theologically when looking at Catholic doctrine, it's completely illogical to include this as a decision in-game. the "allowing vulgar bibles" one makes no sense either seeing as the issue at the time was not allowing bible translation but allowing unauthorized bible translations. I get the feeling whoever is in charge of the Catholicism content doesn't know a lot about Catholicism in the time period (or today)

The allowing vulgar bibles is perfectly analogous to: the issue of Morphine ( or take your pick of cocaine or other illicit drugs) was (is) not allowing allowing dangerous drugs but allowing unauthorized use of dangerous drugs.

If the government doesn't allow those drugs to be used for public consumption they are illegal.
If the Catholic church criminalizes vulgar bibles unless it is by the Catholic Church and the Catholic church refuses to make any vulgar bibles then all vulgar bibles are illegal.

The decision "allow vulgar bibles" is a perfectly reasonable one in light of the fact that de facto it was illegal to have a vulgar bible. Even if technically one day someone may be able to own one years later.

It seems like a classic case of Catholic legalese that is exactly what protestants view as wrong.

Last edited:
I'm going to cry. So many DLCs, and expansions in EUIV, yet no love for Byzantium in years. I only play Byzantium, and with every DLC I hope there is something in store for Byzantium. But usually, I'm left disappointed. Now Catholics get even more powerful, and no love for Orthodoxy or the Empire. Though, all I really want is more accepted cultures for Byzantium (Let's face it, unless a skilled player reinvigorates the Empire, it's dead anyway, so it's not necessary game braking. I want like +20 accepted culture pool for Byzantium, as a reward for rebuilding it back to life). But all hope is not lost yet. Maybe the devs can yet be kind to us Byzantithills and sprinkle some love in this expansion? Here's to hoping!

I'm going to cry. So many DLCs, and expansions in EUIV, yet no love for Byzantium in years. I only play Byzantium, and with every DLC I hope there is something in store for Byzantium. But usually, I'm left disappointed. Now Catholics get even more powerful, and no love for Orthodoxy or the Empire. Though, all I really want is more accepted cultures for Byzantium (Let's face it, unless a skilled player reinvigorates the Empire, it's dead anyway, so it's not necessary game braking. I want like +20 accepted culture pool for Byzantium, as a reward for rebuilding it back to life). But all hope is not lost yet. Maybe the devs can yet be kind to us Byzantithills and sprinkle some love in this expansion? Here's to hoping!
I wonder how detached from reality a person has to be to think Orthodoxy didn´t receive any love.

I wonder how detached from reality a person has to be to think Orthodoxy didn´t receive any love.
Please, don't use such strong expressions with my friend Mastah Jedi. You're right regarding that Orthodox is a nice religion in game. He's also right the Byzantines might get some culture bonuses, since they had ruled the diverse region centuries before and had good relations with the different peoples in the Balcans. Let's keep the forum civil! Cheers, love and peace to everyone!

I have an idea to adress the main fault of Catholic mechanics, namely that its more beneficial to have fewer Catholic nations because its easier to hog the papacy.

And the answer is very simple: reward competition.

Every country that invests in the Curia should lower the cost of Curia actions for every Catholic by -1 (naturally would reset at pope death)
Therefore, if there are are 30 healthy Catholic nations, all investing and competing for the curia it might be hard for you to get the seat but at least you will get to benefit from dirt cheap curia power costs.

If you wipe out the competition are there are only 4 catholics left you get to be the curia controller, but the power costs will be much higher.

However, since this has the potential to decrease curia power costs dramatically, i would first increase the base costs by 100% and place a hard cap at a fixed value, like 30.

Last edited:
I have an idea to adress the main fault of Catholic mechanics, namely that its more beneficial to have fewer Catholic nations because its easier to hog the papacy.

And the answer is very simple: reward competition.

Every country that invests in the Curia should lower the cost of Curia actions for every Catholic by -1 (naturally would reset at pope death)
Therefore, if there are are 30 healthy Catholic nations, all investing and competing for the curia it might be hard for you to get the seat but at least you will get to benefit from dirt cheap curia power costs.

If you wipe out the competition are there are only 4 catholics left you get to be the curia controller, but the power costs will be much higher.

However, since this has the potential to decrease curia power costs dramatically, i would first increase the base costs by 100% and place a hard cap at a fixed value, like 30.
Have you not seen the curia now has its own bank? Which is helped by having more tags in the world

Have you not seen the curia now has its own bank? Which is helped by having more tags in the world

yeah but in practice it doesn't make Catholicism stronger the more nations are in it, it makes Catholicism WEAKER as the princes and nations convert away.

Its really not, its helped by having true faith provinces under the control of the clergy.
It ultimately doesn't matter the tag number, if you eliminate all rivals you can keep the coffers full by giving true faith provinces to the clergy. There is not a limit on how much a single tag can contribute.

Its really not, its helped by having true faith provinces under the control of the clergy.
It ultimately doesn't matter the tag number, if you eliminate all rivals you can keep the coffers full by giving true faith provinces to the clergy. There is not a limit on how much a single tag can contribute.
if states are weaker then theyll find it harder to centralise their nations I feel, and so the clergy will have higher amounts of land than in one centralised tag

Last edited:
I have a question! How would this non-European Catholic nations? Like, Catholic Kongo is alot of fun because of the historical weirdness, but I hope that you can do stuff outside of Europe for additional fun otherwise it will seem kinda barren.

Though Africa in general could use a pretty big buff in stuff (even Ethiopia)