• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th of March 2020

Hi and Welcome to yet another Europa Universalis Development Diary!

We talked a little bit about what is happening to the Catholic Faith in a development diary back in August 2019. Let's delve into that at first, before we talk about completely new features, and remember. All of this is part of the Emperor Expansion.

Curia Coffers
First of all, the Curia has its own pool of money, the Curia Coffers, which is accumulated each month from contributions from each catholic country. The contribution depends on the development controlled by the Clergy estate in each country. Catholic Nations can also Buy Indulgence to increase the Curia Coffers and

The Curia Coffers can then be spent on the following.
  • Call the Ecumenical Council
  • Assign Cardinals
  • Investigate Heresy
  • Papal Bulls
  • Council of Trent Actions.
Ecumenical Council
The Ecumenical Council is a way for the Papal Controller to siphon their own money into the Curia Coffers to increase their influence to become the next Papal Controller.

Cardinals
Assigning Cardinals is a new Diplomatic Action that Curia Controller can do. By spending an amount of the Curia Coffers the target nation will gain a Cardinal. The Curia Controller gains influence towards becoming the controller at the next papal election, and the target nation increases their opinion of the Curia Controller.

The Pope can also spend their own money to Appoint a Cardinal from one of their own provinces, if any of them lack a Cardinal. This increases Corruption by 5%, but sometimes it is needed.

Of course there will be Cardinals appointed automatically each year as before.
eu4_4.png

Investigate Heresy
Investigate Heresy is an action where the Papal Controller can spend money from the Curia Coffers to reduce the Reform Desire by 5%, while making Reform Desire grow 10% faster in the future. This is a way to delay the Reformation if you so desire.

Golden Bulls
For each Pope, the Curia Controller can pick one new Golden Bull, which will define that Pope’s life. This of course cost money from the Curia Coffers, and there are six different Golden Bulls to pick from. What is interesting with these Golden Bulls, is the fact that they affect ALL catholic nations.

Apostolicae Servitutis
-50% Curia Power Cost (The old Catholic Ones)

Christian Pictas

-5% Development Cost
+1 Tolerance of Heretics

Dei Gratia Rex

+0.5 Yearly Absolutism
-2 Unrest in Catholic Provinces
-25% Drill Decay

Illius Qui Se Pro Divini

Enabled Crusades after the Age limit!

Immensa Aeterni Dei

-10% Institution Embracement cost
+25% Institution Spread
Cardinals will spread institution if the institution has been embraced in a province of another Cardinal or the capital of the Curia(Rome).

Libertas Ecclesiae:

+20% Imperial Authority Growth
+15 Imperial Reform Approval by Catholic Princes
Available if Emperor & Catholic is Official Religion of the Empire

Council of Trent
A few decades after the Reformation has started to ravage Europe, there will be something called The Council of Trent that will last about 50 years at maximum, or until the Papal Controller has picked four different changes to the Church.

When the Council is active, rulers of Catholic Nations can set their position as either Harsh or Conciliatory. At default all nations are neutral, and at every new ruler in your nation you get the opportunity to change your position.

Neutral Position
-33% Resistance to Reformation Centers.

Harsh Position
-20 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Resistance to Reformation Centers
+2% Missionary Strength
-25% Institution Spread

Conciliatory Position
+10 Opinion of Heretics
+25% Resistance to Reformation Centers
+25% Improve Relations
-5% Heretic Missionary Strength

The Curia Controller is the one that picks the concessions, and they are quite costly, costing 2000 gold from the Curia Coffers, which is reduced by up to 1500 depending how many Cardinals that are from Countries supporting the stance taken in the concession. And you can only take one concession in each pair, and the effect is applied to all Catholic nations. The Harsh ones all add -20 opinion of heretics to all Catholic countries, and Conciliatory adds +10 opinion, so the Papal Controller can really control how fractured Christianity will be during the Council.

First Concession
Heresy Trials (Harsh) +1% Heretic Missionary Strength
Secret Confessions (Conciliatory) +2 Tolerance of Heretics

Second Concession
Roman Catechism (Harsh) +10% True Faith Institution Spread
Non-Latin Bible (Conciliatory) +5% Institution Spread

Third Concession
Soldiers of Christ (Harsh) +10% Manpower in True Faith
Rescinding Celibacy (Conciliatory) +5% Manpower

Fourth Concession
Catholic Mysticism (Harsh) -10% Warscore Cost vs Other Religions
Sola Fide (Conciliatory) -20% Curia Power Cost
eu4_5.png

Hope you enjoyed this short but detailed Development diary, and next week we’ll talk more about the Imperial Diet.

• 4Like
Reactions:
their influence to become the next Papal Controller.
love the new influence system/approach, just want to ask if italian countries and/or cardinals in italian culture group provinces have some modifiers to their influence generation, as well as european provinces overall, this is vatican and they clearly have their preferences after all

what i'm referring to:
"The first non-Italian pope since 1523 was Pope John Paul II. He was born Karol Jozef Wojtyla on May 20, 1920 in Poland. Pope John Paul II served as pope from October 16, 1978 until April 2, 2005. Interestingly, after so many years with popes from Italy, the two popes that followed John Paul II were also not Italian. Pope Benedict XVI who served from 2005 to 2013 was from Germany and Pope Francis who was the current pope as of 2018, is from Argentina."

Catholic will be quite powerful and fun in Multiplayer.
- you can negotiate with the Pope about Bullas/buffs/cardinals you need
- you can have "crusade" crazy buffs all the time = if Catholics wrok together they can agree on one OPM as a "default crusade target" and declare on it every time any war starts to turn buffs on. I can imagine like OPM Tunis in Malta as a "Crusade Farm Target".

I think Catholics can be the most powerful Multiplayer faith.

I actually like it.

Did you ever saw a proper dev'd Orthodox country? Its fun to fight a 250k MP France in 1500. That will be even more in the next patch. There is nothing close to Orthodox by a far margin, Crusades are alright early/midgame but you still dont have the 10% dev, contruction cost basically no unrest in your orthodox provinces and the 5% disc.

Last edited:
I think the Crusades rule should be changed so that we can crusade against the Hussites, so change it so heretics can be targeted. that would be historical and would give Catholicism the "Military bonuses" that everyone is asking for. Plus it would be fun

I think the Crusades rule should be changed so that we can crusade against the Hussites, so change it so heretics can be targeted. that would be historical and would give Catholicism the "Military bonuses" that everyone is asking for. Plus it would be fun
There are features within the HRE that resemble crusades against the heretics. I think people are asking too much for Catholicism... giving it such bonuses not only would make if fun/best religion, but it would make it overpowered in my opinion. I do feel more than satisfied with the announced changes for this patch. Perhaps it still needs small variations/name changes from what has been announced, but it's really enough to make it fun, competitive, and enjoyable.

So are Catholics and Muslims going to be historical rivals at the start of the game, or will the day 1 Otto-Papal State alliance still be allowed?

Should allow excommunication against any Catholic nation that has a Muslim alliance until the 16th century (or so).

Last edited:
So are Catholics and Muslims going to be historical rivals at the start of the game, or will the day 1 Otto-Papal State alliance still be allowed?

Should allow excommunication against any Catholic nation that has a Muslim alliance until the 16th century (or so).
I don't know... ask Francis I of France. Was he excommunicated? The Ottomans will be extremely weak in the next patch. The last thing we want is to make them even weaker. Poor little Ottomans! They're so cute!

See, I love this update to catholicism, but there's one notable thing missing.
The Curia Treasury's funds cannot be used to bankroll a nation at war with a crusade target.
This actually would have precedent as the Pope in 1688 effectively bankrolled Austria's war with the Ottomans in 1688 after the Battle of Vienna.
Personally, that last bit there would be the only other update I would put into this Catholicism rework, then it would be perfect

The Curia Treasury's funds cannot be used to bankroll a nation at war with a crusade target.
This actually would have precedent as the Pope in 1688 effectively bankrolled Austria's war with the Ottomans in 1688 after the Battle of Vienna.
Personally, that last bit there would be the only other update I would put into this Catholicism rework, then it would be perfect
A generic event to help pay for minors who are converting heretic provinces would also help

Should that be a Curia thing? The Curia controller or the Papal States can freely subsidize them already. Plus you already get tax, manpower, prestige, and legitimacy from crusades.

Will this DLC be released alongisde Victoria III?
Given that Vicky 3 hasn't even been announced, this is probably one of the more pointless rhetorical questions I've seen asked on this forum.

Given that Vicky 3 hasn't even been announced, this is probably one of the more pointless rhetorical questions I've seen asked on this forum.
Victoria III might be prepared as a surprise?
Anyway, please, understand me. My govt has spent 50 admin points in order to quarantine my region. I don't want to play any EU4 with estates now, because I see them as useless when compared with the new system. And my run as Venice is already boring. So... I need the DLC! I NeEd ThE dLc! Nooooow! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! Thank you.

Today's development diary will be a little late :)

I think this is not only a really good change but a necessary one. Almost every game I play Europe is painted blue or light blue and Christianity (and the HRE emperor to an extent) don't really get the chance to oppose the Reformation. A big part of European politics at this time revolved around religious struggles throughout the 15 and 1600s and I think a revitalized Catholic faith goes a long way in adding flavor and historical accuracy into Europe. Good job guys!