• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th of January 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to yet another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Today we’ll take a deep look into the Age of Revolutions.

This Age starts 10 years after the Enlightenment have been established, which is usually in the first decade of the 18th century.

Rules
Absolutism mechanics are enabled.
French Revolution, Revolution and Liberalism Disasters, can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
  1. Have Parliaments
  2. Be an Empire Rank Nation, Emperor of HRE or Emperor of China
  3. Have a 250 development subject.
  4. 125% discipline
  5. 50 development capital
  6. Own and control 2 institution origins
  7. Have a general with 15+ pips.
Abilities
  • +3 Artillery Bonus vs Fort
  • Force March does not cost MIL
  • 20% more ships can fight in combat.
  • Remove distance check for coring.
  • Artillery does 20% more damage from backrow.
  • -25 liberty desire to subjects on same continent
  • Liberty_desire_from_subject_development -33%
  • Prussia: 20% less fire-damage taken
  • Great Britain: 25% cheaper naval maintenance
  • Russia: +20 States
  • Austria: +5 diplomatic reputation
To clarify:
Artillery Bonus usually goes up to a maximum of +5 when sieging, this can be increased by this ability to +8 in this age.

Backrow artillery does 50% damage normally, this allows them to do 60% damage.

eu4_9.png

Next week, we’ll look into why the Manchu are so awesome..

Reactions:
Ugh, percentages of percentages are so confusing. It would be easier for it to say: Backrow artillery now does 60% damage.
At least pdx is consistent with their inconsistency. (Is percentage additive? Mulitplicative? Which goes first? Etc?)

:p

Reactions:
I don't think its right to even more buff the Prussian space marines into the late game. We all know how much pain an Prussia could be, especially in MPs. I Agree with Mormegil that Russia deserves Military Boni, prior to the Prussian or anyone else in that Era.

Reactions:
Reactions:
No military bonus to Russia? 1700-1821 is a period when Russia won tons of wars against Ottos, Sweden, Persia, France and Prussia. Russia deserves military boost.

20 states is a huge bonus to economy, more ducats more army. Seems legit that the bonus to russia concerns the quantity rather than the quality.

Reactions:
I wonder if this Age system is a reaction against the previous patches where the game became very alt history. Like, will this add more historical structure to the game, or will this allow more hilariously ridiculous results? Can't wait to find out!

Hmmm? Age tied to institution spawn? Did I miss that and it's like this for all ages now, or is this just an exception? Would be awesome.

Reactions:
Hmmm? Age tied to institution spawn? Did I miss that and it's like this for all ages now, or is this just an exception? Would be awesome.
Age of Reformation starts 10 years after Protesthantism spawns.
Age of Absolutism 10 years after Global Trade (IIRC)
Age of Reformation 10 years after Enlightment.

Reactions:
20 states is a huge bonus to economy, more ducats more army. Seems legit that the bonus to russia concerns the quantity rather than the quality.
yes, its seems like huge, but Russia won't really need it by the start of 18th century. If played well, it is already giant monster with endless trade income and hordes of soldiers by that time. Or it is already destroyed by that time if play in MP / by AI.

My concern is about a little historal accuracy.

Reactions: