• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of April 2019

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

Played Nations.jpg

No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

unit previewer.jpg

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.

I second this :

It would be nice if you were able to select an existing country and then change it using the custom nation tool, for example choosing Portugal and then changing their ideas of taking more provinces.

also, I'm sure it's been said but I haven't gone through all 10 pages I'd love to see the ability to set up or choose an event package and a Mission tree. It's a bummer always having generic missions.

I'd like to have a change in custom nations idea where we can modify to a dual idea in a single slot like normal countries have. Such as Portgual having multiple dual ideas.

I must be playing this game wrong. I never played a custom nation, found France boring, would not be caught dead playing as Ottomans and god forbid I ever play Ming. Yet those are some of the most popular nations to play. Am I the only one who finds Russia and Milan to be the most fun to play?

Good good Im looking forward to 4k UI scaling.

The game is currently unplayable on a high resolution monitor. Text is unreadable, buttons require sensitivity turning down and finesse to hit, which is all made moot by the fact the god damn mouse pointer is so bloody large in relation to the text boxes it covers half the information. Its guess work trying to decipher the tool tips because half of its covered.

Its the only game I play windowed at below native resolution because I just cant play otherwise.

I think Custom Nation Diplomacy should be implimented so you could have vassals, start in a war,
By deliberate decision, nobody is allowed to start in a war in the 1444 start - even tags that arguably should be.

which is funny, because in the past, there were just such starts that started in war, like Albania.
Yup.

IIRC, the main issue with being at war at game start is that it interferes with the bootstrap behaviour of the AI.