• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 22nd of September 2016

Hello everyone, and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time we take a deep look at something different we’re doing for 1.18. This time we are adding and improving features to four different older expansions.

First our is a new feature for Mare Nostrum, called Create Trading City! Now the Merchant Republics that has a Trade League will be able to create a new one-province-minor out of one of their provinces. This new nation will become independent, but part of their Trade League, and they will never leave that Trade League on their own. A Trading City is created from the province view like Client States are. You can decide upon name, shield and color just like creating them.

An AI Trading City will not expand, and there can only be one Trading City in each Trade Node for a Trade League. The government form of a Trading City is a republic with +33% Caravan Power & +10% Trade Efficiency.

eu4_115.png

The second feature is for El Dorado, where we have improved the Nation Designer. In 1.18, if you own both Rights of Man and El Dorado, you will now be able to define which personalities your ruler and heir has from the start.

eu4_113.png

The third feature is for Common Sense where we replace a feature that was obsolete, the Pause Westernisation option. Instead, owners of Common Sense will be able to have a better control of their institution spread when they increase development in a province. Increasing a 30 development city by 1, gives +5 to Institution Progress of the oldest institution not present in the province. It scales to +10 at 60 development, and down to +0.5 in a 3 development rural backwater.

eu4_114.png

And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%. There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory. This tile was created by community member @Elzephor !

definitely not The Falklands.png

Of course, we’ve done quite a bit of bug-fixing, balancing and AI improvement to previous features. Next week, On TUESDAY, we’ll talk about launcher and multiplayer improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions:
And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%. There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory.

View attachment 207454
Ah, Islas Malvinas!

Reactions:
This looks great! Thanks for showing some love for the older DLCs.

Next week, On TUESDAY, we’ll talk about launcher and multiplayer improvements.

Looks like my initial thoughts on the DD changes were spot on:

Does this mean DDs are going to be on the day of their respective streams and, coincidentally, in alphabetical order?

Like this:
Monday: CKII
Tuesday: EUIV
Wednesday: HOI4
Thursday: Stellaris
Friday: Victoria 3

Reactions:
Will the trade cities be vassals? If they are in a war together with you against an enemy will they demand land? That would be terrible if that happened to be something. Really want to create a few cities as Venice near Greece and I don't want these cities wanting land they cant expand into there if they arent my vassal

Reactions:
Will the trade cities be vassals? If they are in a war together with you against an enemy will they demand land? That would be terrible if that happened to be something. Really want to create a few cities as Venice near Greece and I don't want these cities wanting land they cant expand into there if they arent my vassal

Independent like other opms in a tradeleague.

Reactions:
This looks great! Thanks for showing some love for the older DLCs.

Looks like my initial thoughts on the DD changes were spot on:

Or maybe you seen the future hehe

Regarding the development increasing institution spread, does development received from events count, or is it purely when you click the button?

Reactions:
EUXII is going to be a hyper-realistic FPS/Grand Strategy blend. France is still prone to go on a summer holiday to Barcelona.

Business as usual for France then.

Reactions:
Really glad the RNW gets some more love, it is one of my favourite older features.
I also read on Twitter that you plan on adding a "Continent Tile Only"/"Always Include A Continent Tile" option, which is greatly appreciated as well since MP games can get frustrating if 5 players fight for 3 small islands when we use the RNW. I hope in the future we get a RNW related achievement and maybe some other features for Tags there.

Is it possible to let Colonial Nations in the RNW form their own Tags once they get independence, using the generator system to give them unique NIs?

Reactions:
maybe I'm missing something but what's the big advantage to create a Trading City instead of keeping the province for yourself?

Don't Merchant Republics have a limited amount of State provinces? An "independent" trading city will allow you to still get a lot of trade power from a province (as it's in your league) without using up one of those slots as well as contributing troops in defensive wars.

Reactions:
A Trading City is created from the province view like Client States are. You can decide upon name, shield and color just like creating them.

But will the trading city get a default name, shield and color if I dont want to make one up? I like to keep it close to historical..

Reactions:
And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%
How does it look in absolute numbers?

Reactions:
It will be interesting to see how the development boosting institutional spread will enable tall play.

I recall a recent thread by Edmon on how development is OP. Lots of divergent views there, looks like this will provide more grist for the mill. :)

Hmm, interesting changes

I regards to the ruler personalities, I noticed that all of the cost points. Are there any which will be free or is there an option randomise it so you don't have to spend points (Just thinking about V.Hard nations where points would be extremely valuable)

Reactions: