• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 21st of April 2016: Meet the Team + 1.17

Hi all!

In this Dev Diary I'll present the EU4-team as it looks currently.

The Team
  • Johan, still game director, creating the high-level design for the expansions.

• Anona, I’m the new project lead, making sure planning and priorities are made, as well as keeping deadline and being on budget. Been with Paradox for 2,5 years and hope you look forward to the upcoming expansions!

• Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

• Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

• Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.

• LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!

• I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.

• r_lazer, lead programmer on the EU4 team. Started on the EU4 team around 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed working on every DLC since then. El Dorado was a favourite where I got to implement the Nation Designer.

• StarNaN, Embedded QA for EU4. Started working at Paradox last year in December. I’ve been playing Europa Universalis since early EU3 and loved Svea Rike 1 and 2 as a child, therefore I want EU4 to be as good as it can be. My part in doing this is the same as LittleFido, I try to find, reproduce and help solve bugs.

• The Real Timor, I’m the rather odd artist who makes things look nice and neat. Or at least as neat as they can be in a screen with 50+ icons, numerous stats, and tooltips to blot out the sun. Aaah, the beauty of EU4. And let’s not forget the cute Big Blue Blob achievement.

We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready. The patch will contain bugfixes and crash fixes for Mare Nostrum such as:

• Christian Hordes will reform into Eastern technology

• Disbanding ships in port will return Sailors to the Sailor Pool

• Fix for the 0Kb savegame crash

• Republican Sufferance impacts sailor gain

• Performance optimization

• Fixed Central African Lakes

• Refining Naval Missions

• OOS fix

• Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team

Reactions:
We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready.
Ah, yes, Johan is still in charge... ;)

Welcome to all the new team!

I get the impression that it is Johan who "Designs the game".

How do you decide on new features and changes in the game? Do you hold meetings were everyone comes with there ideas and then you expand on the good ones? Or is it more like Johan as a few ideas, maybe asks for input, and then the programmers implements them?

Reactions:
Afraid not. It just means they have been split to fix weird adjacencies.
Will we ever be getting more above-sea-level lakes? You also need to fix the world_normal file on the ones you've done already, from far out it still looks like the lakes are giant pits.

Reactions:
If it's still planned, I would like a dev diary in the future on the prospect of a negotiated peace interface (basically demand tribute and offer tribute from all participants in the same peace) so that European style peace treaties where "humiliating" a nation was generally avoided could be better modelled. I know this has been brought up and I suppose it's a question of how the AI could handle it.

Reactions:
Also; Suggestion for DD:

One on the Suggestions forums. Thing I would ne interesting:
-Example of posts in the Suggestion forum that were actually implemented
(If the only exampe was that UI improvment from 2014 posting suggestions don't feel very worth it).
-What kind of suggestions do you find interesting, and what don't you really care about.
- How would you like people to phrase the suggestion. If you want map improvment/new mechanics. Would you like sources? In depth details on suggested events? and so on...
Also on why people should use the suggestion forum and not the main forum...

Reactions:
Reactions:
I'm glad to hear that Fabricate Claim will remain in from the start, that would have just been completely unnecessary. If balance tweaks must be made, simply make the AI less likely to take it OR make AE penalties more painful?

Glad also to see an EU2 vet on the team. Chaingun good to know ya.

Reactions:
Great to see a lot of dev diary requests, seems a lot of them are about design, which is something either DDRJake or Johan could bring up in upcoming dev diaries.

Hey @Anona, thanks for the DD.
Are you now the project lead for the upcoming EU4 and CK2 expansion? (or did i miss something?)

Yes I'm for both EU4 and CK2 now (50/50).

Reactions:
  • Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Explains a lot, in my campaign (with mods) Sweden's debt went out of control, like crazy.

Here's a quick idea for EU4, how about adding Antarctica.
Antarctica was discovered by James Cook in 1773, which co-inside with EU4 timetable.
Add some interesting events of expeditions as well.

Reactions:
Actually, a dev diary focussing on how the interface art develops would be great! We see the placeholders (from pink triangles to polar bears) and the finished products, but not much of the design process.

The interface of EU4 has been a delight to me having played paradox games since HOI2, Eu4 has been the easiest to understand at a glance and felt the least cluttered.

Could we get a DD about player feedback? In particular: what kind of ideas are most likely to get used, how to write them and a little 101 on bug reports.

Like how the devotion idea was written ;)

Reactions:
Here's a quick idea for EU4, how about adding Antarctica.
Antarctica was discovered by James Cook in 1773, which co-inside with EU4 timetable.
Add some interesting events of expeditions as well.
This would require a bunch of pretty tedious map work (the Americas would need to be vertically realigned) and some engine work (AIUI the engine currently chokes if you try to feed it a map larger than the current one) just to add what is, frankly, a bunch of mechanically-useless frozen hellscape.

Reactions:
Christian Hordes will reform into Eastern technology

something something unintended consequences

Reactions:
I hope they'll be able to bring in enough new team members to juggle expansion support for all the titles when HOI4 and Stellaris release.

Is it safe to say we'll probably still be getting expansion support for EU4 for the next couple of years? It seems like CK2 is on the way out unfortunately, but CK3 needs to happen for sure.