• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 20th of June 2017

Hello!

I’m Anona and I’ve been the Project Lead for EU4 for the last year + a few months. This means I’ve been driving the development of processes within the team and making sure we’re on time and budget - and not to forget team activities ;). Mare Nostrum, Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven and Third Rome have been awesome to work on with such an amazing team as the EU4 team. On one hand it feels good to focus on only one project from now on: CK2, but on the other hand it’s sad to leave such a high-performing, experienced, competitive and positive team with a strong will to become even better.

Luckily I leave the project in good hands to our new Project Lead Linda Tiger, who has lots of experience, the right attitude and good knowledge of work methodologies.

To say something about the year that has passed there have been some changes to the team: Our ex AI programmer Chaingun has gotten a replacement in Gnivom and Ihki has gotten replaced by Groogy since they have moved on to other projects outside and inside of the Paradox Universe, respectively. DDRJake has become even more responsible for the design of the recent expansions and Johan is currently on a long holiday lasting three months. But of course he can’t keep himself completely outside Paradox so he pops up now and then anyway…

One of my best memories is the release of Rights of Man. We had all put a lot of effort into the game and I was extra nervous since it was the first EU4 expansion for which I had been Project Lead from start to finish. But the release went smooth and steam reviews were fantastic, on par with Art of War and El Dorado. Not sure if the following event was related to the Rights of Man success or not but some time later we got gingerbread cookies sent to the office from a fan, some of which were showing the art of the loading screen for Rights of Man. I kept one and everytime I look at it nowadays I feel pride for what we did with Rights of Man.

Thanks for all the feedback you’ve given the last year, it’s been incredibly valuable for our games!

DoYourWork.PNG

Anona_event_picture_clip.PNG

Did you know that several people in the team have been eternalized in EU4 event pictures?

RightsOfManGingerBread.PNG

/Anona

So hi everyone,

And big thanks Anona for the introduction! I am super excited to join such a talented team and continue the journey with our magnificent Europa Universalis IV - lots of exciting stuff in the future for sure. Looking forward to get to know you all and to be part of this dedicated community - let’s do this!

//Fogbound

Greetings! =)

When are the ugly square-shaped provinces in modern Ukraine region going to be fixed? :p

I mean c'mon! The "Russia" patch was great, but leaving almost unchanged one of the ugliest regions in game is kinda weird, especially in themed patch :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bug-fixing rebels always appear with dev diaries. We already know you are working on bug-fixes and keeping down unrest. :)

This is a nice and welcome introduction!

Thanks for all the hard work and good luck on ck2!
Some of the most fun I've had in the game was with Rights of Man and Mandate of Heaven :)
No matter how many hours I put in I always find more things to do thanks to your continued efforts :D

So the EU4 lead is disconnecting from it to work solely on CK2, a game that should have its last expansion currently in development if Paradox's account is precise? I suppose either CK2 still has some more steam left or the next DLC is going to be huuuge.

Please just stop developing EU4. The game peaked in the expansion before institutions. The recent expansion have been nothing but bloat for a game which was very good to play in multiplayer. Now you have to mod away all the useless stuff if you even want to consider playing it.

Please just stop developing EU4. The game peaked in the expansion before institutions. The recent expansion have been nothing but bloat for a game which was very good to play in multiplayer. Now you have to mod away all the useless stuff if you even want to consider playing it.

Why does it even matter to you then? If you don't like the patches and don't like the DLC then just stay on a previous patch and any further development doesn't impact you.

OT: Thanks for your work Anona! I like hearing the personal take and am pleasantly surprised there's a Dev diary at all given the recent release.