• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Today we’ll take a look at five new features which will be in the new Rights of Man expansion.

First of all.. Disinherit!
eu4_41.png

Now when you have these no good heirs, like a certain prince of Castille, you now have an option to deal with them. At any time, if your prestige is positive, you can chose to disinherit your current heir, for a mere cost of 50 prestige. Now we like to think of it as the heir becoming a happy farmer somewhere, but the people in the iron-mask industry need employment after all. The drawback of disinheriting, besides losing 50 prestige, is the fact that you will be without an heir after it..

The second feature is the Prussian Monarchy, a rather cool special government.
eu4_40.png

Whenever you form Prussia, you will change into a Prussian Monarchy, a government that was describes as an army with a state, not as a state with an army. So what does the Prussian Monarchy give you. Well, first of all, all Prussian Rulers will have a minimum of 3 in MIL. This alone gives you more military monarch power to spend on policies, ideas & technology on average. The government form in itself reduces unrest by 2 and war exhaustion by 0.02 each month, with autonomy reduction based on the rank.

The coolest part of this government form is the fact that it is a militarised society. This has a rating of 0-100%, where army tradition and legitimacy increases it, while each province you own decrease it. You can also at any time spend 50 military power to gain 10 militarization.

At 100 % militarized society, you gain +10% discipline, 33% cheaper army maintenance and 33% quicker manpower recovery.

Prussia with Rights of Man will be a taller state, that can punch far above its weight, and require a bit of a different playing strategie.

Our third feature is Strengthen Government.
eu4_42.png

This is basically an ability to have greater control of your government. For a mere 100 military power, you can at any time boost your legitimacy, devotion, horde unity or republican tradition. Republican Tradition is increased by 3%, while all the other is increased by 10.

The fourth feature of today is Abandon Personal Union.
eu4_44.png

This is a new diplomatic action, which is available for the senior in a personal union. Sometimes a union is not worth keeping, as the risks of a dangerous war may be too high, or you know they will win an independence war anyway. The overlord will lose some prestige, and depending on the subjects liberty desire, they will not even dislike you for giving them freedom.

And the fifth and final feature is Debase Currency.
eu4_43.png

This is a possibility to quickly get some money, without any interest to pay back, or other immediate drawbacks.. Except … for some minor corruption..

Basically, you get a free loan amount of money for just 2 corruption.

----------------

And as a free feature, as a apart of the 1.18-Prussia patch, we’re adding over 20 new DHE just for Prussia & Brandenburg, putting them on par with other tier 1 nations..

Next week, Jake will talk about the changes to Revolutionary Republics.

Since you can now abandon Personal Unions, will there be also changes to Succession Wars? Currently, you cannot refuse to contest a union and your allies will be unlikely to join you since the game treats you as the attacker

It happens very rarely but it is rather destructive

Reactions:
Hum more player agency in controling legitimacy. Certain people should be pleased about that right?

I like the Prussian government a lot actually, it really fits the theme. When you form Prussia, is there a way to reject the Prussian government and keep your own, same one the Netherlands have when they can chose to get the Dutch Republic government or not?

I for one would chose the new government, but some people would probably like to get a choice in this matter.

Finally, there has been remarks here and on twitter about the dishinerit for -50 prestige. Did you consider some kind of alternate cost for this feature, namely legitimacy? Now that legitimacy can be increased with MIL points, disinheriting would mean either losing legitimacy, or using your MIL points to make sure everyone gets in line, which makes more sense than prestige, in my opinion.

Reactions:
Also about personal unions i just remembered what Wiz said about Austria-Hungary, which is not gonna happen, but it will be interesting to have the name of both partners of the personal union be shown.

Example Austria-Hungary if Austria is a senior or Hungary-Austria if the reversed is true.

Also if Wiz said that if more that 2 or 3 countries would be in the same personal union the name should be that of the ruling dynasty's name.

I know is just something esthetic but it would be really cool. Also would satisfy those who want Austria-Hungary that bad.

Reactions:
A few simple questions:

What's the point of the button at the bottom right corner of your coat of arms?

Will the 3 minimum mil for Prussian leaders affect the chances of getting 4-6 mil in a positive way or just prevent you from getting below 3 mil by setting 3 as standard should you go below?

Will there be more PU options in the future, like choosing not to accept one in the first place?

Also: I really hope for some more small, nice government features like Prussian monarchy in the future. These small changes that make certain countries more unique, which is a great move. Still though, harems could be added to two or three more Muslim countries as well.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Prussian space marines.

Reactions:
I'm not sure I like how cheap it all is.
mere 50 prestige
barely 100 mil
just 2 corruption
Everything seems more or less free.

I find the minimum MIL rating interesting. I wonder how it could be used for other governments. Maybe a return of Archduchy with minimal 3 DIP?

Reactions:
I'm not sure I like how cheap it all is.
mere 50 prestige
barely 100 mil
just 2 corruption
Everything seems more or less free.

I find the minimum MIL rating interesting. I wonder how it could be used for other governments. Maybe a return of Archduchy with minimal 3 DIP?

By the prestige loss or corruption gain is noteworthy the 100 mil points for 10 legitimacy seems cheap.

Effectively you can deal with rebels not with harsh treatment but increasing your legitimacy. It would have the same effect on rebels, but it is more convenient this whay because it's more permanent;

Reactions:
All good changes. Especially abandoning the PUs. Will be helpful for Denmark games. Eating Sweden will be so much easier than trying to keep him under you in a PU.

The Prussian government is interesting. A bit of a nerf for blob play, but a cool concept for tall empires (This patch seems to try and emphasize tall play)

Not sure I will ever use debase currency though.

Reactions:
For a mere 100 military power, you can at any time boost your legitimacy, devotion, horde unity or republican tradition
Now the whole mechanics of state-stability has no sense!
Maybe you should increase a cost, just for other countries that can stockpile more than 999 military points?
And will debasing currency give you enough money to get rid of corruption?

Reactions:
While the Prussian Government looks interesting, I'm really worried that it will be a: compulsory and b: impossible to switch out of. I mean, it's fine if you're trying to recreate historical Prussia, but if I'm playing a nation dedicated, say, more towards trade and diplomacy, why am I getting a militaristic government just for claiming the crown of Prussia? It makes no sense what so ever.

Reactions:
All of these are very good features, a couple ( free personal unions and debasing) I really expected since a while.

Johan, please can you tell us which are the drawbacks of the Prussian governments (if there are any) ? The demilitarization increase with the number of provinces seems to me something easily sustainable.

I am still trying to figure out situations where this could be used - seems a bit weird to me since we already have the normal loan mechanic.

And shouldn't debasing your currency affect inflation as well?
Logic-wise the corruption and inflation effects should be swithed, but gameplay-wise, I see their point - you choose between corruption (pretty bad) or inflation (slightly bad) and interest (somewheat bad).

Reactions:
What's that new blueish icon to the right bottom of the shield?

To make more thematic sense, effects of loans and debasement of currency should be swapped. I also wish the effect and cost of Strengthening Government were cut in half, giving 5 Legitimacy for 50 knife mana. During the feature stream Johan said Prussian colour wouldn't be changed to blue, because there are already many countries with that colour. Why not change one of them to another colour and give Prussia what it deserves? Another suggestion I have is that accepting one culture could give partial acceptance of other cultures in the same group. As it is culture groups mean very little. The biggest fear however is that the feature will be useless for colonial nations that own little bits of land all around the globe without dominating any cultural region.

Nothing major, but all welcome additions. Remember the days when Prestige was overflowing and useless?

Last edited:
Reactions: