• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey everyone,

Pontus here, marketing lead on EU4. Sorry to inform you all that today’s "DD" has been delayed due to sick leave on the EUIV team, and we should be back to more normal next week.

Today we are here to talk a little bit about Grandest LAN. This year posed some additional challenges due to Covid. Obviously we couldn't bring dozens of people together in one place for days on end. Thankfully our partners at Parsec made this year's LAN party possible. Many of you have asked “How is this a LAN”? Simple! All the computers were here in Stockholm, in one great LAN (with minimal latency), and all the players used Parsec, which is a remote desktop app, to control the computers from the comfort of their homes. And it went off without a hitch! Thankfully. Thousands of you watched the events unfold live, and hundreds of thousands have already caught up by watching the VODs on Twitch.

We just want to give a warm and hearty thank you to everyone. TurboLARP for setting up the event, Parsec for making it possible. The players for taking time out of their lives to Role Play with us. Everyone on the back end making sure the game ran smoothly. The GMs, the casters, the devs, and you, the viewers, we do it all for you!

For those of you who missed the Grandest LAN live, the entire event is being uploaded to YouTube in easy to digest, 30ish minute episodes. We will compile the entire event into a playlist for ease of viewing as a series. We know it can be difficult to watch if simply presented, unedited, in two giant 12 hour chunks.

And one more thing we need to discuss... which team was your favorite to watch???
Was it the tag swapping Swiss?
The Dutch, whose cash made the world go round?
The brave Georgians, who fought off so many assaults on their mountain forts.
The Irish, Bretons, or Norwegians, who all fought for control over the New World...so the dutch could plunder the trade routes :D
The Serbs, who started more than a few global conflicts.
The Mighty Prussians! Who were always happy to upset the balance of someone else’s war.
Let us know who was the MVP...in your heart.

The first episode can be watched here:

And the entire playlist is here: LINK

Next week we will be back with a proper game related Dev Diary, with some very interesting and hotly requested new content that will be coming soon...
tCoO15Cbr6h0KorcNm6vRYmHAhWUbJIe71Lcg9CtxK4OgO7_W4E6etlRPQKIn1ifMzxt45m8uLasmCHM2hXs9Zp1RQYmOrA3GHy9JpquTo4_Bv08iFAMMqKY6IChmO9z44TI6MQ8

Best,

Hotly requested, Philippines. It's a wild guest that I keep repeating, but Animism rework?

• 7Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
This Philipines? ok... not gonna lie I was hoping for Australia and aboriginal gameplay.

Hope everyone gets better.

I was hoping for a follow up on the DD about favors and some global mechanics for a change. I don’t like those TAG-related mission trees and national ideas. I tend to skip their DDs entirely.

No offense intended to the content creator, but it’s just not my ideal design philosophy.

I have to confide, though, that I found the native Americans distinctive enough to warrant their own distinctive collective mechanic / mission trees.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Well, I think it’s a natural way: there were no sense in remaking SEA without even touching on Phillipines.

Still hoping on Australia and Oceania too

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for posting this. I hope the employee will get better soon. Admitting that there would be nothing is much better for us than complete silence. It's also not every week that you can move the world; so somewhat empty DD are things that can happen.

• 2Like
Reactions:
DDs can wait, everyone should focus on staying safe in this pandemic. Still much appreciate the EU4 team relocating AND continuing work on the upcoming content during these times

• 9Like
Reactions:
I dunno whether to be annoyed at another 180 or elated that the 180 means Philippines will get worked on as part of the upcoming update. This post is blursed.

Get well soon, my dudes

• 4Like
Reactions:
Ah, too bad. Looking forward to next week! Take care, all of you! :)
As Lavilledieu has already said: thanks for communicating the absence of a DD this week, and thanks for still finding something to share! Much appreciated!

As for the Grandest LAN, I highly enjoyed the streams that weekend! The entire set-up worked miraculously well, so kudos to you for finding a way to get it all to work in these circumstances!
I was absolutely flabbergasted by the obscene trade income the Dutch team managed to rake in due to all of their deals. That being said, I loved the Prussian team's mentality of joining wars just to balance things out and fight --- and even polling the viewers directly to pick their next target. A Prussian military fueled by a Dutch economy is an unholy combination, but it lead to some great things. (And do I correctly recall hearing that at some point the Dutch were funding both sides of the same war? "Don't worry about your economy, we'll fund you and keep it afloat; now fight!")

The Swiss going full-circle with their tags was indeed nice! I remember missing part of the stream and being confused (and overjoyed) upon seeing Switzerland back on the map when I tuned in again.

All of the teams had their moments, these were some that stood out. Great job to everyone that played, commentated and otherwise contributed to making this happen!
(And though I enjoy him in the commentators' booth, I hope to see Groogy (and Lord Cyrus) also play next year ^_^)

• 3Like
Reactions: