• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of May 2020

Good morning! It’s time for the achievements dev diary. Typically we write this one the week before the patch notes dev diary (don’t worry, that’s coming soon too), but we’re uploading these achievements to the Steam backend very soon and we want to get ahead of that.

Without further ado, here are the achievements coming with the 1.30 update:

achievement_mary_of_lotharingia.png

Mary of Lotharingia - Starting as Burgundy, form Lotharingia and have a female ruler named Marie.

achievement_on_the_rhodes_again.png

On the Rhodes Again - Starting as The Knights, conquer and core Constantinople, Jerusalem and Antioch.

achievement_spaghetti_western.png

Spaghetti Western - Starting as Bologna, become Mexico or Texas.

achievement_stern_des_sudens.png

Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
Shoutout to @mikesc for this one!

achievement_stiff_upper_lippe.png

Stiff Upper Lippe - As Lippe, own all of the British Isles.

achievement_czechs_and_balances.png

Czechs and Balances - Starting as Bohemia, grant at least two privileges to each estate while having at least 50% Crown Land.

achievement_dont_be_cilli.png

Don’t be Cilli - Starting as Cilli, form another nation.

achievement_holiest_roman_empire.png

Holiest Roman Empire - As either the Papal States or the Emperor, have the Papal States as an Elector while the HRE is officially Catholic.

achievement_inner_turmoil.png

Inner Turmoil - Starting as The Isles, own 20 provinces by 1500, none of which are on Islands.

achievement_kingdom_of_god.png

Kingdom of God - Starting as the Papal State, become the Kingdom of God.
Shoutout to our very own @Duplo who posed for this image. Certainly a dashing figure.

The following achievements are exclusive to owners of the Emperor DLC:

achievement_everythings_coming_up_mulhouse.png

Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse - Starting as Mulhouse, become Emperor of the HRE and completely decentralize the Empire.

achievement_god_tier.png

God Tier - Become a Tier 5 Defender of the Faith as a nation that is neither Catholic nor Sunni.

achievement_napoleons_ambition.png

Napoleon’s Ambition - As Revolutionary France, spread the Revolution to 10 countries.

achievement_aeiou.png

AEIOU - Complete the Austrian mission tree.

achievement_global_hegemony.png

Global Hegemony - Reach 100% Strength as any type of Hegemon.

This brings our total number of achievements to a massive 310. As always we’ve tried to include a mix of difficulty levels and a variety of goals. Personally I think I’ll start with Kingdom of God to get the most out of the new Catholic features, and of course to see “Kingdom of God” printed across the map.

That’s all for today! Join me next week for the final content-focused dev diary that was promised last week. As I’m sure you’ve heard, the Emperor expansion and the free 1.30 update will release on June the 9th. You can pre-purchase Emperor on Steam, or even right here on Paradoxplaza.

• 84Like
  • 3Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
achievement_stern_des_sudens.png

Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
Shoutout to @mikesc for this one!
I recognise it being a football joke. I don't get what it is, though. I tried looking up Stern des Südens and that turned out to be a Bayern song (had guessed it was related to Bayern somehow). I don't see how Werder Bremen fits into it, though, i.e. what the connection between Bayern, Werder Bremen, and that song is.

it is unclear (do I have to stay Bavaria) and totally random (Werder is at the other side and I can't even have it by my own.
It's not random. It's a football joke. (Now, whether or not the achievement itself is a good idea is another thing. Given I don't play for achievements I'm not gonna comment on that.)

One of the biggest clubs in Germany, arguably the biggest German club, and decades long Bundesliga dominatrix is Bayern München. Bayern being what is called Bavaria in English and München is what English called Munich.
Werder Bremen is another German club. They're a midsize club.
Now, what the joke actually refers to, I don't know, but it's a football joke and clearly has something to do with Bayern München and Werder Bremen.

Reactions:
Because that's the point of the achievements. The forced pun ones often have some weird and challenging non-WC goal.
And Bavaria having to give Bremen the Werder province in Africa is kind of genius, sadly it won't be as easy as in 1.29 when the AI was allowed to purchase TC provinces as a non-colonizer and thus giving an easier entry point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I recognise it being a football joke. I don't get what it is, though. I tried looking up Stern des Südens and that turned out to be a Bayern song (had guessed it was related to Bayern somehow). I don't see how Werder Bremen fits into it, though, i.e. what the connection between Bayern, Werder Bremen, and that song is.

It's not random. It's a football joke. (Now, whether or not the achievement itself is a good idea is another thing. Given I don't play for achievements I'm not gonna comment on that.)

One of the biggest clubs in Germany, arguably the biggest German club, and decades long Bundesliga dominatrix is Bayern München. Bayern being what is called Bavaria in English and München is what English called Munich.
Werder Bremen is another German club. They're a midsize club.
Now, what the joke actually refers to, I don't know, but it's a football joke and clearly has something to do with Bayern München and Werder Bremen.

It refers to the historic rivalry between Werder Bremen and Bayern München. It cooled down within last decade because Werder isn't playing that good anymore. But in former times, especially during 80s, 90s and early 2000s, managers of Werder (Allofs and Lemke) and Bayern (Hoeneß) had several disputes in public.

Next to the football aspect the achievement has a second political layer: Bremen is a city state, proud of its independence from hanseatic tradition but has constantly financial problems because of structural reasons (most workers are living and paying taxes in neighbouring state of Niedersachsen) and is ruled by social democrats since 1945 without a brake. Bayern itself is proud on its tradition on the one hand, financial and economic strength on the other hand. And conservative government looks constantly at Bremen "as best example for social-democratic missmanagement" (same way as against Greece during financial crisis) and would like to abondon"useless" city states as fast as possible

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would have liked to see an achievement for Brittany since they are getting new missions. Something like "Greater Brittany" where you have to own all of Britain and France and have a colonial nation. Also, if this is going to be the last big expansion like many think, I would like the devs to add more achievements on a frequent basis. I personally like basing my runs on achievements, so adding a few new ones with a decent challenge factor would go a long way.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really like the new achievements and the cheesy puns and I am super excited for the Emperor-DLC.

Yet I am a little disappointed that the powerhouse of Memes, Ulm, still has no unique achievement (while the FC Bayern now got its very own achievement). So I was thinking about it for a while. There is a jawbreaker in southern Germany: In Ulm, um Ulm, und um Ulm herum (the translation goes like this: In Ulm, around Ulm and around around Ulm). What about an achievement, where you have to own Ulm, the surrounding provinces of Ulm and the surrounding provinces of the surrounding provinces of Ulm as Ulm. This could be the possibility for Ulm to get its very own achievement combined with another word pun for the decent achievement list.

• 8Like
Reactions:
A few to many meme achievements for me, I prefer more historical ones but it's not terrible. I was really hoping for a Swabia related one, perhaps including good old Frederick Barbarossa.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Nothing for Hussites is an outrage. Disappointed by nothing for new catholic mechanics, nor imperial incidents. Nothing for Swabia, Frisia, Hanseatic League, french minors.
So much wasted potential.
Don't get me wrong, these achievements we get are all fine and dandy but there is room for many many more.
I like your pun achievement just as the next person but I'd love to get more serious ones, especially for new tags and formables.
Please consider adding some more, maybe later as a small separate patch or something?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, its not that simple.

Sundgau is represented and owned by Austria/Habsburgs so that is correct.

The issue lies more in the location of the province supposed to represent Mulhouse, being squeezed between Strassburg and Sundgau.

This shows the 1400 HRE situation.

Mh is Mulhouse, the province is roughly located north of the Sundgau so would make more sense as Colmar. Co on the map.

Hello,

I am not writing about austria, but about the beginnings of the Habsburg dynasty.
The south of alsace (and some towns scattered through the region) was their land they ruled as "landgraf" for centuries.
And if you want, check the story of Guntram the rich, count in alsace during the 10th century, and possibly the progenitor of the Habsburg.

Now to make it short and quick, even today on the modern flag of Alsace, the Habsburg are still represented. The yellow crowns are for them.
drapeau alsace 2003.png

Now to be back at OP.
When i read : begin with Mulhouse and be emperor of HRE, i understand it as a comparison to the Habsurg's story.
This is the reason i would had prefered in a game like EU4 a story with the Habsburg instead of the Simpsons.

Well, there is no crime and i understand the need for all tastes. I will still try the achievement, but i think that my immersion will not be the same.

PS : i will denounce Paradox that they compare the prestigious Habsburg family to the Simpsons :D.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think our nice dev team would make us a big present, and sign of dedication, if they added another bunch of achievement.

15 ones, for a more than waited DLC (19 would be decent as 2019 was totally focused on the dlc), is not only short but a little deception.

What's more, I have been looking on the suggestion forum and there are propositions by dozen, including for the minors.

I don't know if arts is very long to create, but I'd really, really appreciate, even if it's a bit naive to hope so, that our Paradox team will admit 15 is too few and give us some more achievement :O

#prayforUlmachievement

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't get why so many of you complain that there aren't enough achievements, or that they aren't good enough.
I always hope that the devs spend their time on the game itself and not on the achievements.

An hour spent on bugfixing or writing content is better than an hour spent on brainstorming ideas for achievements.

Reactions:
Didn't know that there was a rivalry between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munchen. Expected more between Werder and HSV.
Werder vs. HSV is the bigger rivalry, but almost every German football club that was a serious competitor for championship has some kind of beef with Bayern, because chances are that's who they were competing with. As @ChrisOhm mentioned, in Werder's case there's some serious personal animosity between two of the clubs' former managers (Lemke and Hoeneß) adding into this, so it's more two-sided than most other X-vs-Bayern rivalries.

About the achievements: I personally don't mind the puns, as long as they translate into an interesting campaign. However, I think it's a bit of a shame that a good share of the achievements went to tags that already had some: Burgundy, The Knights, Bohemia, Papal States, France, Austria. That's the same number as tag-specific achievements for "new" starts. It's the third patch containing achievements for France (1.1 and 1.12) and Austria (1.1 and 1.26), too.
Honestly, I would've preferred if the new achievements would have given tags a spotlight that didn't have one before.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm personally somewhat indifferent to the number of achievements, but considering that the scope of the DLC was from Brest to Constantinople, it feels like a missed opportunity to have an achievement called "From Brest to Constantinople". The requirements could be for Brittany to own all of France, Germany, Italy and the Balkans for a more map painting style achievement, or for Brittany to just straight up own Constantinople.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow... As someone living in Bremen I'm really offended by the subject thing... I demand compensation in a future Patch! :)

I feel you as a proud Northerner who supported Werder in my youth. ;) But then I looked at the challenge and I'm keen to try it: playing the HRE as minor, exploring the Bavarian mission tree and then eventually expanding south to Africa while grooming your Bremen vassal.

AEIOU - Complete the Austrian mission tree.
Just like Kingdom of God there is nothing wrong with that. 10 / 10. Good name, also.

It is a hell of ride trying to complete this mission tree while gardening the HRE, fighting heretics, and blobbing. Definitely 10/10! All those PUs and dynasty requirements. A Habsburg on all five continents. o_O Bitter lesson: avoid losing Habsburg dynasty because you had to save your emperorship by clicking the fancy new "introduce heir" button :eek:. (Fortunately there is a short MTTH event that gives you a new Habsburg heir)

Reactions:
First time poster here,

I'm excited for the update, and the first thing i'm gonna say is: I wonder if the devs were making a nod and joke to Bob's Burgers Spaghetti Western references, are spaghetti westerns more of a European thing? I'd never heard of them up until I saw that episode :[.

Also, for the Lippe achievement, I'd be more impressed if they conquered the brits then went to Australia xD

Can't wait to play as the Knights or one of the other crusaders, I only saw the BudgetMonk "tutorial" and it seemed alot of rng was required to succeed as the Knights

Reactions:
I'm excited for the update, and the first thing i'm gonna say is: I wonder if the devs were making a nod and joke to Bob's Burgers Spaghetti Western references, are spaghetti westerns more of a European thing? I'd never heard of them up until I saw that episode :[.

Spaghetti Westerns are a thing from the 60s and 70s, made famous by Sergio Leone's "Dollars" trilogy staring Clint Eastwood.

• 4Like
Reactions: