• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of May 2020

Good morning! It’s time for the achievements dev diary. Typically we write this one the week before the patch notes dev diary (don’t worry, that’s coming soon too), but we’re uploading these achievements to the Steam backend very soon and we want to get ahead of that.

Without further ado, here are the achievements coming with the 1.30 update:

achievement_mary_of_lotharingia.png

Mary of Lotharingia - Starting as Burgundy, form Lotharingia and have a female ruler named Marie.

achievement_on_the_rhodes_again.png

On the Rhodes Again - Starting as The Knights, conquer and core Constantinople, Jerusalem and Antioch.

achievement_spaghetti_western.png

Spaghetti Western - Starting as Bologna, become Mexico or Texas.

achievement_stern_des_sudens.png

Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
Shoutout to @mikesc for this one!

achievement_stiff_upper_lippe.png

Stiff Upper Lippe - As Lippe, own all of the British Isles.

achievement_czechs_and_balances.png

Czechs and Balances - Starting as Bohemia, grant at least two privileges to each estate while having at least 50% Crown Land.

achievement_dont_be_cilli.png

Don’t be Cilli - Starting as Cilli, form another nation.

achievement_holiest_roman_empire.png

Holiest Roman Empire - As either the Papal States or the Emperor, have the Papal States as an Elector while the HRE is officially Catholic.

achievement_inner_turmoil.png

Inner Turmoil - Starting as The Isles, own 20 provinces by 1500, none of which are on Islands.

achievement_kingdom_of_god.png

Kingdom of God - Starting as the Papal State, become the Kingdom of God.
Shoutout to our very own @Duplo who posed for this image. Certainly a dashing figure.

The following achievements are exclusive to owners of the Emperor DLC:

achievement_everythings_coming_up_mulhouse.png

Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse - Starting as Mulhouse, become Emperor of the HRE and completely decentralize the Empire.

achievement_god_tier.png

God Tier - Become a Tier 5 Defender of the Faith as a nation that is neither Catholic nor Sunni.

achievement_napoleons_ambition.png

Napoleon’s Ambition - As Revolutionary France, spread the Revolution to 10 countries.

achievement_aeiou.png

AEIOU - Complete the Austrian mission tree.

achievement_global_hegemony.png

Global Hegemony - Reach 100% Strength as any type of Hegemon.

This brings our total number of achievements to a massive 310. As always we’ve tried to include a mix of difficulty levels and a variety of goals. Personally I think I’ll start with Kingdom of God to get the most out of the new Catholic features, and of course to see “Kingdom of God” printed across the map.

That’s all for today! Join me next week for the final content-focused dev diary that was promised last week. As I’m sure you’ve heard, the Emperor expansion and the free 1.30 update will release on June the 9th. You can pre-purchase Emperor on Steam, or even right here on Paradoxplaza.

• 84Like
  • 3Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Isn't Mary of Lotharingia a bit too cheap to get as stated? You could just rename any future female ruler to Marie.

It should be easy to avoid this by setting a flag for the "correct" Mary of Burgundy during the Burgundian inheritance event.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can we PLEASE get some level of DD about the final state of the "tech debt" that was oft toted as being worked on, yet we haven't heard anything about in 6 months (if not longer) regarding that? I have no doubt that the patch notes will have information regarding that, but a comprehensive list of "here's what we worked on, here's what we are still working on" would go a long way to helping parse through a mile long changelog.

• 28Like
Reactions:
Does this Marie has to be made by event or is naming just fine?

The name alone is fine. We originally had it as only the Marie you get from the Burgundian Inheritance, but we decided that this had an excessive RNG factor. This way there's no RNG except for being able to name a female ruler, and the challenge element is forming Lotharingia.

• 22Like
Reactions:
Will next weeks dev diary be including the hinted at mechanic to prevent French vassal swarm?
“But how will you balance this, I preemptively hear you asking? Won’t France need extra diplomatic relations to cope with this? Won’t France be horrendously overpowered in the early game? Fear not, for we have answers and solutions - which I am not going to reveal today.” https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-4th-of-june-2019.1185235/

What was redacted here? “When the situation in Europe gets a bit spicy thanks to theses being nailed onto doors, there may be more popping up, but for now that's [REDACTED]”? The hussites? The ability to remove a little bit of reform desire at the cost of speeding up its future growth?

“We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.” What are those features? Are they coming next week? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/euiv-development-diary-3rd-of-march-2020.1346852/
The kingdom of god decision isn't mentioned here:

Regardless, super psyched for Emperor thanks chaps!

• 9Like
Reactions:
Good morning! It’s time for the achievements dev diary. Typically we write this one the week before the patch notes dev diary (don’t worry, that’s coming soon too), but we’re uploading these achievements to the Steam backend very soon and we want to get ahead of that.

Without further ado, here are the achievements coming with the 1.30 update:

View attachment 578913
Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
Shoutout to @mikesc for this one!

Where is the Werder province?

Do you mean Verden?

EDIT:

Nevermind, found it.

Here for other players:

20200519103344_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Isn't Mary of Lotharingia a bit too cheap to get as stated? You could just rename any future female ruler to Marie.

It should be easy to avoid this by setting a flag for the "correct" Mary of Burgundy during the Burgundian inheritance event.
Would you prefer it if you had to get lucky with the event for an achievement?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Have you added the Duchy of Lippe to the game? Have there been any changes on the map that we do not know about?
I think they have added a few provinces and possibly tags since the map change diaries from last year - most of them can be seen in the dev clash, but I am not
aware of any general overview

• 1Like
Reactions:
How will you redesign “Factionalism” achievement? I guess it does not not fit to the new mechanics of estates.
Overall, quite disappointing achievements: nothing is given to the Balkans, and others are mostly made for the sake of a pun or obnoxious reference. It’s especially dissapointing that Dharma and Cradle of Civilization gave us 20 new achievements, while this time, considering how much new stuff is added to the game, we got only 15, barely more than comes with Third Rome, Rule Britannia and Golden Century, DLCs of much smaller scale.

• 1Like
Reactions: