• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of May 2020

Good morning! It’s time for the achievements dev diary. Typically we write this one the week before the patch notes dev diary (don’t worry, that’s coming soon too), but we’re uploading these achievements to the Steam backend very soon and we want to get ahead of that.

Without further ado, here are the achievements coming with the 1.30 update:

achievement_mary_of_lotharingia.png

Mary of Lotharingia - Starting as Burgundy, form Lotharingia and have a female ruler named Marie.

achievement_on_the_rhodes_again.png

On the Rhodes Again - Starting as The Knights, conquer and core Constantinople, Jerusalem and Antioch.

achievement_spaghetti_western.png

Spaghetti Western - Starting as Bologna, become Mexico or Texas.

achievement_stern_des_sudens.png

Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
Shoutout to @mikesc for this one!

achievement_stiff_upper_lippe.png

Stiff Upper Lippe - As Lippe, own all of the British Isles.

achievement_czechs_and_balances.png

Czechs and Balances - Starting as Bohemia, grant at least two privileges to each estate while having at least 50% Crown Land.

achievement_dont_be_cilli.png

Don’t be Cilli - Starting as Cilli, form another nation.

achievement_holiest_roman_empire.png

Holiest Roman Empire - As either the Papal States or the Emperor, have the Papal States as an Elector while the HRE is officially Catholic.

achievement_inner_turmoil.png

Inner Turmoil - Starting as The Isles, own 20 provinces by 1500, none of which are on Islands.

achievement_kingdom_of_god.png

Kingdom of God - Starting as the Papal State, become the Kingdom of God.
Shoutout to our very own @Duplo who posed for this image. Certainly a dashing figure.

The following achievements are exclusive to owners of the Emperor DLC:

achievement_everythings_coming_up_mulhouse.png

Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse - Starting as Mulhouse, become Emperor of the HRE and completely decentralize the Empire.

achievement_god_tier.png

God Tier - Become a Tier 5 Defender of the Faith as a nation that is neither Catholic nor Sunni.

achievement_napoleons_ambition.png

Napoleon’s Ambition - As Revolutionary France, spread the Revolution to 10 countries.

achievement_aeiou.png

AEIOU - Complete the Austrian mission tree.

achievement_global_hegemony.png

Global Hegemony - Reach 100% Strength as any type of Hegemon.

This brings our total number of achievements to a massive 310. As always we’ve tried to include a mix of difficulty levels and a variety of goals. Personally I think I’ll start with Kingdom of God to get the most out of the new Catholic features, and of course to see “Kingdom of God” printed across the map.

That’s all for today! Join me next week for the final content-focused dev diary that was promised last week. As I’m sure you’ve heard, the Emperor expansion and the free 1.30 update will release on June the 9th. You can pre-purchase Emperor on Steam, or even right here on Paradoxplaza.

• 84Like
  • 3Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
But they are already there. Communist Dithmarschen, Rome, all the conquer-em-all and PU-em-all missions, and of course the upcoming German tree. Memes above common sense.
Doesn't make them any more palatable. If an illness cannot be cured, then at least its progress should be limited.

Reactions:
As one of the comments stated above, we still don't fully know about the french vassal system.

Achievement dev diary probably implies that the gameplay-content is fully shown, so im very confused

The DD started off by saying they’re posting the achievements earlier than usual because they’re about the be added to Steam’s database, and wanted to do an official announcement before hand.

As much as I like the variety of difficulty levels, I'm also kinda disappointed by the small number of new achievements. As I'm actually the kind of player whose main incentive in launching a new campaign is to aim for some kind of achievement, I was hoping for a little more, especially with all the new tags and new gameplay mechanics.

Same here, most of my campaigns are centered around completing at least one achievement so a few more would have been really nice.

I don't want to be too negative though- the achievements here all look like a lot of fun and the artwork that goes with them is great!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wooow :O Thats a nice list of achievments. I especially like the Kingdom of God, Spaghetti Western and the Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse one :D Nice The Simpsons reference, i like it.

But i see Lotharingia will be a formable country as Burgundy. Will be there other new formable nations in the new DLC?

i'm not sure for the isles , you need to own 20 provinces , but do you need to lose your island provinces or not?

I am not fan too of the pun achievements. For example the one where you begin with Mulhouse, i would had prefered something with the prestigious Habsburg family instead of the Simpsons :) (even if i love the simpsons).

[the Habsburg ruled the Haut-Rhin where Mulhouse is located until 1648 (but the Mulhouse republic stayed free until 1798)].

Bah, anyway i love EU4 and i am just impatient now.

I guess i may begin with the AEIOU or Kingdom of God.

Well, its not that simple.

Sundgau is represented and owned by Austria/Habsburgs so that is correct.

The issue lies more in the location of the province supposed to represent Mulhouse, being squeezed between Strassburg and Sundgau.

elzas.png

This shows the 1400 HRE situation.

Mh is Mulhouse, the province is roughly located north of the Sundgau so would make more sense as Colmar. Co on the map.

elzas2.PNG

Reactions:
To be honest I was really excited about the new DLC (and to be honest I still am). I was even surprised it was done with 20 Euro price tag compared to others. But this part really disapoints me. Not only in number (expected about 30 on a wide range) but also what was added.

Mary of Lotharingia - Starting as Burgundy, form Lotharingia and have a female ruler named Marie.
Forming Lothringia is fine and the extra is totally arbitrary so why not. 8 / 10

On the Rhodes Again - Starting as The Knights, conquer and core Constantinople, Jerusalem and Antioch.
I see absolutely no reason for this. The pun is not even good, the targets are meh (though at least really challenging) but not related to the DLC. 1 / 10

Spaghetti Western - Starting as Bologna, become Mexico or Texas.
Any italian nation would be fine, no need for Bologna. Texas is good, Mexico meh. I personally like the meme though. 4 / 10

Stern des Südens - Form Bavaria starting as München and have your Subject Bremen own Werder.
While this is Germany related ... kind of ... it is unclear (do I have to stay Bavaria) and totally random (Werder is at the other side and I can't even have it by my own. Can I just name a client state Bremen? Who knows... and thats tech 22. 2 / 10 for the meme idea, but the achievement is really bad I think. (Alternatively control Milan, Madrid, London, Amsterdam, Bremen and Dortmund just as one idea)

Stiff Upper Lippe - As Lippe, own all of the British Isles.
Nice wording, well done picture and a challenge from German lands... Like that even though to hard for me 10/10

Czechs and Balances - Starting as Bohemia, grant at least two privileges to each estate while having at least 50% Crown Land.
Can't get how hard or useful or just stupid the 2 priviledges are but this feels like a pun for pun intend. Not even forming a Czechs country. 1 / 10

Don’t be Cilli - Starting as Cilli, form another nation.
Strange to be added this time but hey, nice pun, easy mechanic while still something to do instead of pressing buttons... 9 / 10 Could have done more maybe with regards to Emperess Barbara of Cilli.

Holiest Roman Empire - As either the Papal States or the Emperor, have the Papal States as an Elector while the HRE is officially Catholic.
Just meh. This should not even be possible. Electors should be German states and members of the HRE. Making the Papal state part of the HRE submitting the pope to the Emperor would be not holy at all. Depending on the mechinics in the end it also sounds button pressy. At least DLC related. 2 / 10

Inner Turmoil - Starting as The Isles, own 20 provinces by 1500, none of which are on Islands.
Nice pun, hard challenge... a bit out of scope though 5 / 10

Kingdom of God - Starting as the Papal State, become the Kingdom of God.
New target, so perfectly fine. 10 / 10

Everything's Coming Up Mulhouse - Starting as Mulhouse, become Emperor of the HRE and completely decentralize the Empire.
Nice meme but why the targets? DLC related so... 6 / 10

God Tier - Become a Tier 5 Defender of the Faith as a nation that is neither Catholic nor Sunni.
Sounds a bit like a unusual task but still it has something to do. If done by protestants etc it even has DLC connection. 7 / 10

Napoleon’s Ambition - As Revolutionary France, spread the Revolution to 10 countries.
There are already a lot of France achievements... but that's my only thing to say. It matches, fine naming, the picture could have better borders though. DLC related, too. 10 / 10.

AEIOU - Complete the Austrian mission tree.
Just like Kingdom of God there is nothing wrong with that. 10 / 10. Good name, also.

Global Hegemony - Reach 100% Strength as any type of Hegemon.
Yeah, new feature used. Not only buttons. Sounds fine. 9 / 10.

Sorry it is so long but first you can see: it is not only not that much, it is also used up a lot by really boring or just mechanical achievements. Mechanicals are super fine but... There are not enough of that (and others) to justify this. There are only 4 good ones + the mechanical ones (features, button presses, mission trees).
Missing whole regions like Balkans (Cilli being on the borders at least) but also Italy, Hungary, Hansa, central Germany, Germany as a nation. Missing use of new catholic feature, Hussites. Missing the new governing capacity feature (like directly control x provinves or 100% crownload + 0% autonomy in all provinces), Merchanaries, 30 year's war, peasants war (maybe making Germany a peasant republic?)...

Disapointed but still looking forward for a play soon.

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
It's just about two German football clubs:
Werder Bremen
Bayern München ("Bavaria Munich")
With München refering to themselves as "Stern des Südens"

In short it's about the traditional rivalry between these two clubs.

And to nitpick a little, "Stern des Südens" is the title of the "official" club song. - Created by the club, not the fans, BTW. - It's pretty rare that a Bayern supporter refers to the club as "Star of the South".

That's enough about football - or soccer, as the heretics call it - for now.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Didn't know that there was a rivalry between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munchen. Expected more between Werder and HSV.

Reactions:
This was partly shown in the dev clash. Vassals are normal marches (iirc). France has a unique modifier from its nobility estate, adding relation slots and liberty desire to it's Vassals? I'm not quite sure about the details, but it was shown in one of the earlier episodes.
Damn. That's kinda disappointing. I was hoping that France would get a unique government type with its own mechanics.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please change "Spaghetti Western - Starting as Bologna, become Mexico or Texas." so that every italian country could get that. Consider also that Sergio Leone was from Rome...

Reactions:
That's it? Don't get me wrong, I love the new achievements, for the most part they are interesting, but only 15? As a point of comparison, Dharma added 20 new achievements and Cradle of Civilisation 22.
And we were promised new achievements for the custom nation but I guess that just like giving them more feature that got lost on the road.
I'm even willing to bet that none of the 3 not country specific achievement (Holiest Empire, God Tier, Hegemnoy) are even possible to obtain with a custom nation.

• 2Like
Reactions: