• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of June 2018

Today's Dev Diary comes not from me, but from the auditor of audio: @Audiomancer

Note that while we're talking about "Audio in Dharma", the audio changes are part of the free 1.26 Mughals update

EU4 Dev Diary : Audio in Dharma Expansion

Hello! My name is Franco Freda and I’m a Sound Designer here at Paradox. Today we’re gonna talk about Dharma! EU4’s next expansion and one that I’m personally happy for.

With Dharma we decided to enhance the audio experience a little bit further. In a nutshell, the goal with the Audio in Dharma was to modernize its systems within the constraints of long life-cycle development such as the one from Europa Universalis. Same way that when you first tried EU4 you might have played it on a screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio and now you could be playing it on an ultra-wide display, the audio systems have come a long way in the last few years and therefore we realized some of the sounds could benefit from a wider dynamic range and also reproduce more complex layers.

Of course it’s not only about quality, but also about how can we give you better feedback on what’s going on in the game. Therefore if you listen carefully you will perceive that the audio is also more interactive and more balanced.

The overall loudness of the game has been raised to match industry standards of around -23 LUFS. This in short means, the game is louder and more comparable in volume to other existing titles that you might play regularly. Audio rebalancing, meaning, the mix of all audio elements (i.e. music, sound effects, ui) has been revisited to provide a more pleasant and consistent experience. You as a player still have the ability to alter the volumes of certain audio groups in the Audio tab inside Game Options of course, but predefined values have been established to ensure the initial default mix sounds as we planned it.

All music tracks across all DLC’s have been matched to the same volume to ensure there are no big leaps or drops in volume when randomizing across different songs or choosing your own favourites from the music player.

In terms of interactivity there has been one particular aspect that we know many of you have asked for in the past. And that is: Dynamic sound elements depending on technology and units.

This means that if you’re engaging in land combat and you happen to have artillery, you will hear cannons and mortars now and then, so that means that it will not only have an impact on the battle outcome but also a more coherent audio representation of the battle site. On the other hand, if you’re just starting and have not researched gunpowder weapons you will only hear swords and spears.

Same thing happens with Naval Combat. If a transport ship engages into battle, it will not be as equipped as a heavy ship with 50 cannons. Therefore in the first scenario, you will only probably hear swivel guns and muskets.

Lastly for combat, there’s also been upgrades to Siege. Sortie, Barrage and Wall Breach have their own representative sounds to feed your imagination on what your actions might have caused on the enemy stronghold.

Finally the last area we thought that would be nice to work on is Ambiences. Terrain differences have a big impact on the outcome of your combat, giving modifiers to certain units over others and so on. Now, whether you are in the desert or jungle, mountains or coast, the background sound will also change to represent these opportunities and threats.

All of the many elements mentioned above are integrated and triggered using a layered approach, to increase randomness and to ensure a more dynamic audio flow.

Most of these updates will be coming to you as a free update when Dharma launches, so that all of you have the chance to try them out!

This is all from me this time so I hope you enjoy these new additions as much as I’ve enjoyed working on them! Looking forward to your feedback!

############################

While I would have liked to elegantly embed audio into this dev diary, I cannot do so with WAVs, so a handful of audio samples are attached to this thread for your listening pleasure.

Attachments

• Siege Barrage.wav
    675,6 KB · Views: 5.184
  • Combat Tier 3, Artillery, Seaside.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 4.580
  • Naval Combat Tier 1.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 3.932
  • Combat Tier 1, Elephants, Horses, Jungle.wav
    2,4 MB · Views: 4.241
  • Naval Combat Tier 2.wav
    2,7 MB · Views: 3.415
  • Siege Wall Breach.wav
    1,2 MB · Views: 4.096
Last edited:
Same thing happens with Naval Combat. If a transport ship engages into battle, it will not be as equipped as a heavy ship with 50 cannons. Therefore in the first scenario, you will only probably hear swivel guns and muskets.

Here's some feedback (if you even read this far...):
If there's naval combat between heavy ships going on (and I assume that Naval Combat Tier 2 was about heavy ships, not transports), please try to add in proper cannon sounds like they would happen in a battle of 60-gunners duking it out on the waves. In other words, volleys of bass-heavy cannon shots! The current example sound sounds like transports are fighting, which I'd imagine to be pretty disorganised and just shooting whatever they have at the enemy. But heavy ships (and lights too, to a degree) should have the trigger discipline to fire in proper volleys, and bringing that into the sound effect would be wonderful, especially if it's accompanied with a hint of wood breaking on impact, and followed by a return volley of course.
Anyways, I'm sure you've already thought of this and have your reasons for why it's not in the sound sample. Think of this like an idea of what I'd really like to have, and please don't think that I'm not okay with the current new sound effects, they are great.

As for some unrealistic demands, it would be absolutely great if the sound effects would slowly change in several steps based on the combatant's morale level, with proper volleys by heavy ships transitioning into random shots and melee when the morale of one belligerent drops low, and the random shots from a transport-only battle getting less frequent and more turned into a melee spree as well. Something similar could happen for land combat too, with high morale bringing cannon and musket shots, and once one side runs out of morale it switches to cavalry and infantry charges without artillery support (since the enemy is retreating out of range).
A special sound effect for stackwipes would be great too, if the stackwiped army has more than 5k soldiers. Oh, and I want a pony.

The overall loudness of the game has been raised to match industry standards of around -23 LUFS.

Call me stupid, but I can't find what does LUFS/LKFS mean. I get that 1 LUFS = 1 dB, but I haven't found info about how it is calculated. On Windows, sound is calculated somewhat linearly, while on Linux(es/Linuces, whatevers) sound is kinda hyperbolic. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like changing the volume ingame affects the overall volume. (Probably my fault, I remember it was working with ALSA, but not since I'm using PulseAudio.)

Ok, Music, nice. But i'm still worried about unbalance of India region (it's the strongest region now before patch, and they will gain much more provinces and unique units/estates, lel)

Oh rebalancing the audio levels and the music trakcs is like straight out of my dreams. Thanks!

what will be expected relase date?
Late August will most likely be the release date, as there was no announcement yet, and they didn't present all features yet. In two weeks the ( way toooooooo long) Swedish summer holiday is going to start.

Will gunfire sound effects be tied to specific tech levels or the presence of specific units? For example, the Indian tech group gets gunpowder infantry very early (tech 5 Indian Arquebusiers), Anatolian and Chinese get them at tech 9, and Muslim, Eastern, and Western get them at tech 12.
Most of these would have gunpowder units mixed into their army to some extent significantly earlier, though. Gunpowder was around and well-known before 1444 in all of these cultures. They just wouldn't be a dominant component of the army until later. The bigger issue is e.g. American culture groups (other than High American), and some outliers (e.g. Japan, which didn't start producing gunpowder weapons until the mid-1500s, despite them already being in common use in the rest of east Asia).

Could you explain to a layman what is this layered approach you mentionned @Audiomancer ?

Cheers for the DD @Audiomancer :D. Love the ambient audio, like what you've done :). There's perhaps room for a little splintering/creaking amongst the naval battle sounds (or even the occasional mast toppling) but please ignore me if a silly idea, not suggesting what you've got there isn't tops :).

Terrain differences have a big impact on the outcome of your combat, giving modifiers to certain units over others and so on. Now, whether you are in the desert or jungle, mountains or coast, the background sound will also change to represent these opportunities and threats.

Will I hear moose and hakkapeliittas when fighting the Ruskies in the north?

Hello Everyone!!! First, I would like to thank you all for your amazing feedback on this dev diary. I'm truly happy to see that most of these changes will be received with a smile :) And as always wherever there's room for improvement, know that we'll look into it and keep on making it better, so keep it coming!

Now! Since you've been very interested in certain aspects, I'll address some of your questions below:

Here's some feedback (if you even read this far...):
If there's naval combat between heavy ships going on (and I assume that Naval Combat Tier 2 was about heavy ships, not transports), please try to add in proper cannon sounds like they would happen in a battle of 60-gunners duking it out on the waves. In other words, volleys of bass-heavy cannon shots! The current example sound sounds like transports are fighting, which I'd imagine to be pretty disorganised and just shooting whatever they have at the enemy. But heavy ships (and lights too, to a degree) should have the trigger discipline to fire in proper volleys, and bringing that into the sound effect would be wonderful, especially if it's accompanied with a hint of wood breaking on impact, and followed by a return volley of course.
Anyways, I'm sure you've already thought of this and have your reasons for why it's not in the sound sample. Think of this like an idea of what I'd really like to have, and please don't think that I'm not okay with the current new sound effects, they are great.

As for some unrealistic demands, it would be absolutely great if the sound effects would slowly change in several steps based on the combatant's morale level, with proper volleys by heavy ships transitioning into random shots and melee when the morale of one belligerent drops low, and the random shots from a transport-only battle getting less frequent and more turned into a melee spree as well. Something similar could happen for land combat too, with high morale bringing cannon and musket shots, and once one side runs out of morale it switches to cavalry and infantry charges without artillery support (since the enemy is retreating out of range).
A special sound effect for stackwipes would be great too, if the stackwiped army has more than 5k soldiers. Oh, and I want a pony.

Hey @JusticeFighter ! That is correct, I've tried to design the different naval tiers to turn from a more chaotic and sporadic action to a more organized one. There's one thing though, since advanced tiers might also come with bigger naval formations, and they might be scattered around a large area of water, if you listen really closely there might still be some lively disconnection between formations, since at different distances they might have different orders to follow. As regards to the moral changes of the audio, I think that's a great idea, and I will definitely add it to our backlog of audio ideas, in case we can look into it in the future.

Thank you for your feedback! Oh! and the Pony is on its way XD.

Call me stupid, but I can't find what does LUFS/LKFS mean. I get that 1 LUFS = 1 dB, but I haven't found info about how it is calculated. On Windows, sound is calculated somewhat linearly, while on Linux(es/Linuces, whatevers) sound is kinda hyperbolic. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like changing the volume ingame affects the overall volume. (Probably my fault, I remember it was working with ALSA, but not since I'm using PulseAudio.)

Hey @korodikrisz! Here's a small quote from a very nice article that goes into full detail on what this means:

Loudness standards are important in an environment where a number of third party groups are contributing content to the same platform. This certainly applies to video games and game audio. As sound designers and game publishers, we want the end user to have a consistent experience when it comes to loudness levels.

Not only should game audio have a baseline for loudness, that baseline should correspond to established standards in television and film. The goal is a consistent experience when switching between movies, television, and games, especially with the next generation of consoles where users have easy access to all these types of media from one unit.

Long Story short: If I've done this right, it means you shouldn't have to jump and run to change the volume output of your audio system when you load EU4 because it's too loud or too low :) Loudness standards in the game industry is a wink between all of us audio professionals to not run over each other when players switch from one game to the other XD. For more info read the article here

Do we have permission to get creative with those samples? Please and thank you.

Hey @Hazamattaz! Feel free to experiment on your own as much as you want! As long as it's not for commercial use, you should be fine :)

Awesome! Not sure if I want louder audio though. I always turn it down.

Hey @Riekopo! Won't be louder, will be smoother XD.

Oh rebalancing the audio levels and the music trakcs is like straight out of my dreams. Thanks!

Hey @Tarkilth! Thank you! Let me know how it feels once it's out (Y)!

Nice. Who doesn't like the sound of seagulls over cannon fire, weapon clashes and general slaughter.

Hey @Daddl! I know, right???? XD XD

Could you explain to a layman what is this layered approach you mentionned @Audiomancer ?

Hey @Thrake! Very quickly put, instead of having one final sound asset (wav file) for one particular event (say land combat) we have multiple wav files that trigger at the same time and the mix between all those elements they build the land combat sound. This gives us a lot of flexibility if we want to represent bigger or smaller armies, different weapons, different components of the army, etc.

Original Approach:

Land Combat event triggers : Land Combat.wav

New Approach:

Land Combat event triggers : Troops.wav + Weapons Tier 1.wav + Arillery.wav + Horses.wav (depending on the presence of those elements)

Cheers for the DD @Audiomancer :D. Love the ambient audio, like what you've done :). There's perhaps room for a little splintering/creaking amongst the naval battle sounds (or even the occasional mast toppling) but please ignore me if a silly idea, not suggesting what you've got there isn't tops :).

Hey @Axe99 thank you! I agree!! Bare in mind that these samples posted here don't represent the final product as they are only snippets of much larger files. Also these are only representing one variation of the assets, where in the game you will find multiple variations of them, to increase randomization and dynamic of the sound elements. Hopefully you'll find those splintering and creaking you're looking for in the actual game ;) ;) ;)

////////////////////////

Thank you again for your support guys!