• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 18th of August 2016

Good afternoon. It's Thursday and that means we in the EU4 team are being shaken down for Dev Diaries. With Johan cooking something up for you all at Gamescom, I'm back in the saddle to bring you another taster of what's to come in our upcoming [name-leak patched] expansion.

Fetishists were introduced lately, diversifying the Pagan religions by having a tailor-made African variant. While they have some purposed African events, the religion was left without its own mechanics, leaving it looking at its religious brothers with envious eyes.

No longer! As a feature in the upcoming expansion, Fetishist nations will have a choice of Cult granting them bonuses and unique events. Where in Africa you start will determine the Cults which are available to you, giving Central Africans a different starting Cult selection from, say, the West Africans

eu4_2.png

"Starting" Cult selection you say? Yes. The mechanic will look similar for those of you who enjoy some Hindu campaigns but our Fetishist friends can add some extra tools to their belt as they forge their destinies.

Each Fetishist nation will start with 3 Cults available to them, which can be chosen from by each new ruler. Additional Cults can be unlocked through interaction with other faith groups. Through fighting, bordering with alliance or ownership of heathen land, you can unlock additional cults based on that faith. Each monarch can choose one Cult to worship, granting a national bonus and unlocking events for that cult.

eu4_3.png

Last I counted, there are 17 in total If you've been putting off that Victorian Three achievement run, 1.18 is the patch to go for it. Fetishist Cults, along with the Coptic Holy Sites mentioned before, are paid features in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside the 1.18 free patch.

Between the changes in the throne room, the religious mechanics, Great Powers, Traits, Personalities and tech overhaul, you could be forgiven for thinking we have run out of things to reveal about the upcoming expansion and patch. You would still be far from the truth though. We'll be back with another Dev Diary next week to talk not just about what you can do for your subjects, but what your subjects can do for you.

Reactions:
There are some Pagans and Neo-Pagans, but from what I understand most are Lutherans today.
This is right. There are also a lot of members of the Revivalist churches, particuarily the native sami Laestadianism.

Reactions:
Hmm wonder what the Inti, Nauhtl and Totemist cults are within Fetishism. Really going to have fun looking at all these cults. These type of things are my favirote part of the game oddly.

This is getting interesting.

Good afternoon. It's Thursday and that means we in the EU4 team are being shaken down for Dev Diaries. With Johan cooking something up for you all at Gamescom, I'm back in the saddle to bring you another taster of what's to come in our upcoming [name-leak patched] expansion.

Fetishists were introduced lately, diversifying the Pagan religions by having a tailor-made African variant. While they have some purposed African events, the religion was left without its own mechanics, leaving it looking at its religious brothers with envious eyes.

No longer! As a feature in the upcoming expansion, Fetishist nations will have a choice of Cult granting them bonuses and unique events. Where in Africa you start will determine the Cults which are available to you, giving Central Africans a different starting Cult selection from, say, the West Africans

View attachment 201005

"Starting" Cult selection you say? Yes. The mechanic will look similar for those of you who enjoy some Hindu campaigns but our Fetishist friends can add some extra tools to their belt as they forge their destinies.

Each Fetishist nation will start with 3 Cults available to them, which can be chosen from by each new ruler. Additional Cults can be unlocked through interaction with other faith groups. Through fighting, bordering with alliance or ownership of heathen land, you can unlock additional cults based on that faith. Each monarch can choose one Cult to worship, granting a national bonus and unlocking events for that cult.

View attachment 201006

Last I counted, there are 17 in total If you've been putting off that Victorian Three achievement run, 1.18 is the patch to go for it. Fetishist Cults, along with the Coptic Holy Sites mentioned before, are paid features in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside the 1.18 free patch.

Between the changes in the throne room, the religious mechanics, Great Powers, Traits, Personalities and tech overhaul, you could be forgiven for thinking we have run out of things to reveal about the upcoming expansion and patch. You would still be far from the truth though. We'll be back with another Dev Diary next week to talk not just about what you can do for your subjects, but what your subjects can do for you.

African cults can be influenced by other religions like christianity, islam etc? (A little like Tengri)

Oh hmm I see... I don't really agree with that as the Sami were most definitely not Christian in EUIV timeline (they aren't even Christian today), but I guess if I ever want to see pagan Sami I could play with mods.
Just because paganism is on the rise in scandinavia doesn't mean it always was like that. The number of pagan Samis is actually growing. Just like number of nordic pagans are also growing.

I wonder what that is. Weren't they still pagans historically in 1444?
Probably yes but it's kind of heard to tell with the Sami, they had a very syncretic relationship with their Christianity adopting many old myths and so on to the new religion.

They were, and still are, pagans.
They're not even majority pagan today and even then the number of pagans have actually been growing in the last century. Much of their lore have survived through syncretism though.

There are some Pagans and Neo-Pagans, but from what I understand most are Lutherans today.
Well I would guess most are atheists today but yes protestantism are probably the most common religion.

Reactions:
Just because paganism is on the rise in scandinavia doesn't mean it always was like that. The number of pagan Samis is actually growing. Just like number of nordic pagans are also growing.

Probably yes but it's kind of heard to tell with the Sami, they had a very syncretic relationship with their Christianity adopting many old myths and so on to the new religion.

They're not even majority pagan today and even then the number of pagans have actually been growing in the last century. Much of their lore have survived through syncretism though.

Well I would guess most are atheists today but yes protestantism are probably the most common religion.

Yeah, I know Sweden has a national church and most Swedes are registered, but most aren't religious. How is really there, or are you not allowed or uncomfortable talking about this?

It would be nice if (especially larger subjects such as big PU's) could basically manage certain wars for you and contribute their forces to that war (unless, of course, they have a stacks right next to a huge battle or something), while you could finish off another. Bonus points if you're able to tell them the peace goal needed to be achieved!

Reactions:
Yeah, I know Sweden has a national church and most Swedes are registered, but most aren't religious. How is really there, or are you not allowed or uncomfortable talking about this?
If Sweden is like Denmark then 80+% of the population is member of the state church, but most people don't care a bit about the church most of the time and don't set foot in it except for babtisms, weddings, confirmations, funerals, and possibly Christmas.

Reactions:
I'm not even sure I can still take myself seriously playing as a fetishist nation. I would be dead from laughter.

As always, RP-ing would help! Just imagine how getting a new cult looks like...
"Hey, what kind of fetishes do you people have? Whatever it is, I want to get on it!"
Okay, maybe RP-ing would just make it worse XD

If Sweden is like Denmark then 80+% of the population is member of the state church, but most people don't care a bit about the church most of the time and don't set foot in it except for babtisms, weddings, confirmations, funerals, and possibly Christmas.

A greats lots of people don't go to Churches, other than on major occasions like the ones you mentioned, but are still very religious in most or all of other aspects. Church Attendance is a bad metric to measure the amount of religious people tbh.

Reactions:
A greats lots of people don't go to Churches, other than on major occasions like the ones you mentioned, but are still very religious in most or all of other aspects. Church Attendance is a bad metric to measure the amount of religious people tbh.
Can't speak for Sweden, but I would say that here most people aren't really religious.

Reactions:
Well we have a formerly national church it is no longer a part of the government. No idea if over half the country are still members maybe, but membership is dropping like a stone. Well it's not just being secular it's also that we have a greater portion actual atheists than any other country on earth except Estonia (I think).
I'm still a member though, it's not expensive and it allows me to vote in the church elections.

I'm not sure I understand the last question how is what? And I am allowed to talk about anything Sweden has almost total freedom of speech (We have the usual exceptions, yelling fire in a crowded theatre and all that) and I am comfortable with talking about most things. When it comes to the Sami issue I'm not sure I'm qualified though I'm not Sami nor do I live in their part of Sweden. In general I would say that Sweden consider the sami culture and it's history and myths part of it's own cultural heritage.

That's how things are here too, though I think the actual membership in the formerly state church is a lot lower.

Can't speak for Sweden, but I would say that here most people aren't really religious.
Yeah that's how things are here too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Could be an interesting way to convert.
You have your nice cult but some far away fast talking Portuguese/Moroccan/English shaman give you a good idea for a nice cult.
You like it and it gets you nice friends.
You stick around with the cult too long and one thing leads to another and before you you know it your somehow protestant/Catholic/sunni.

Reactions: