• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 18th of August 2016

Good afternoon. It's Thursday and that means we in the EU4 team are being shaken down for Dev Diaries. With Johan cooking something up for you all at Gamescom, I'm back in the saddle to bring you another taster of what's to come in our upcoming [name-leak patched] expansion.

Fetishists were introduced lately, diversifying the Pagan religions by having a tailor-made African variant. While they have some purposed African events, the religion was left without its own mechanics, leaving it looking at its religious brothers with envious eyes.

No longer! As a feature in the upcoming expansion, Fetishist nations will have a choice of Cult granting them bonuses and unique events. Where in Africa you start will determine the Cults which are available to you, giving Central Africans a different starting Cult selection from, say, the West Africans

eu4_2.png

"Starting" Cult selection you say? Yes. The mechanic will look similar for those of you who enjoy some Hindu campaigns but our Fetishist friends can add some extra tools to their belt as they forge their destinies.

Each Fetishist nation will start with 3 Cults available to them, which can be chosen from by each new ruler. Additional Cults can be unlocked through interaction with other faith groups. Through fighting, bordering with alliance or ownership of heathen land, you can unlock additional cults based on that faith. Each monarch can choose one Cult to worship, granting a national bonus and unlocking events for that cult.

eu4_3.png

Last I counted, there are 17 in total If you've been putting off that Victorian Three achievement run, 1.18 is the patch to go for it. Fetishist Cults, along with the Coptic Holy Sites mentioned before, are paid features in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside the 1.18 free patch.

Between the changes in the throne room, the religious mechanics, Great Powers, Traits, Personalities and tech overhaul, you could be forgiven for thinking we have run out of things to reveal about the upcoming expansion and patch. You would still be far from the truth though. We'll be back with another Dev Diary next week to talk not just about what you can do for your subjects, but what your subjects can do for you.

Reactions:
Pagan religion has been removed from Scandinavia, sadly, so released Sami becomes christian.
Oh hmm I see... I don't really agree with that as the Sami were most definitely not Christian in EUIV timeline (they aren't even Christian today), but I guess if I ever want to see pagan Sami I could play with mods.

Reactions:
"Last I counted, there are 17 in total If you've been putting off that Victorian Three achievement run..."

you mean you are going to announce victoria 3 in gamescon :p
I would really love that, but sadly it is really unlikely. Every time PI reveals one of their own games they have a forum named the project name under upcoming games where you get hints (Johan e.g. for EU4 said that the game included the stone pile he climbed as a child) which gradually go from fun, but useless to actually making it possible to make a good guess at it. And at the moment there are no such forums under upcoming games do unless they have completely changed practice with regard to revealing games then Vicky III won't be revealed.

My bet is Jake almost wrote the name into the post. Either way, the fix was much swiftier than that of Military Zeal Act in Mare Nostrum.
TO be fair to Johan then it is much easier to fix a writing reveal than a spoken reveal.

Reactions:
Pagan religion has been removed from Scandinavia, sadly, so released Sami becomes christian.
I wonder what that is. Weren't they still pagans historically in 1444?

Reactions:
Through fighting, bordering with alliance or ownership of heathen land,
thats a good way to increase depth and fun for about any aspect of EU mechanics - make them context-dependent, not plain. Why don't you pay attention to implementing such features for all religions in some common way instead of special mechanics for one (ok, two with Coptic) religions and why for religions only?

Reactions:
I guess that's because they removed shamanists from the game. Hopefully someday there will be a patch adding some old european pagan religions for custom nations. At least suomenusko should still exist in Sami lands, Perm and uncolonised territories beyond Ural.

This. When they changed most of the shamanist lands to Tengri, it probably didn't make much sense to keep it around since it was rather bland and not attached to any tag expected to see independence.

I suspect they'll bring over the rest of the converter religions eventually when they come up with some mechanics for them (or piggy-back of another religion, like Norse)

Reactions:
I guess that's because they removed shamanists from the game. Hopefully someday there will be a patch adding some old european pagan religions for custom nations. At least suomenusko should still exist in Sami lands, Perm and uncolonised territories beyond Ural.
Ah. Hadn't realised that Shamanism had been removed. Is Animism gone too?

Though with the precedent set by Tengri and Fetishist, I suspect it would be in danger if they introduce new religions for these areas.
True. Though are there any pagan countries in Oceania? If not then I doubt they will make a new religion solely for provinces with no country where most are uncolonised. But if South America gets its own religion and Oceania gets one too then I would expect that that province (or is it two after AoW) between India and Burma which is Animist to stop being pagan like happened to Lappland. Which would close the last remain of the Chinese Cheese (I wonder how many other than me remembers that AAR).

True. Though are there any pagan countries in Oceania? If not then I doubt they will make a new religion solely for provinces with no country where most are uncolonised. But if South America gets its own religion and Oceania gets one too then I would expect that that province (or is it two after AoW) between India and Burma which is Animist to stop being pagan like happened to Lappland. Which would close the last remain of the Chinese Cheese (I wonder how many other than me remembers that AAR).

There are no countries in Oceania. Though I think it would be a cool idea to add Aboriginals in Australia and New Zealand. The Maori are a good example in New Zealand.

Reactions:
If you unlock a cult, does your country keep access to it forever, even if your situation changes? I.E. if Betsimisaraka got driven back from India, would it loose the Eternal Way?

Looks like an interesting and fun mechanic that will add some extra flavour to the Fetishists.

TO be fair to Johan then it is much easier to fix a writing reveal than a spoken reveal.
Given that Johan by accident leaked Mare Nostrum it is

There are no countries in Oceania. Though I think it would be a cool idea to add Aboriginals in Australia and New Zealand. The Maori are a good example in New Zealand.
I don't see that being warranted to be included. IIRC the aboriginals never really put up resistance so they shouldn't be included. The Maori indeed would be a really good addition, but with pagans not being able to have boats (horribly wrong for the Polynesians) it would mean that having Maori would be a long tedious wait until the Europeans came and then an almost certain stomp. You could fill the entirety of New Zealand (is it 10 provinces it has) with nations, but still as soon as you have conquered the others you have nothing to do until the Europeans come. Hence as long as pagans can't have boats the Maori are a bad addition. If pagans gets boats again then adding Maori would be fine.

Reactions:
They were, and still are, pagans.

There are some Pagans and Neo-Pagans, but from what I understand most are Lutherans today.

Reactions: