• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Let's take a good look at our King/Khan/Doge/Emperor/Prince.

The ruler of your state is of prime importance to your nation but when you see your new heir birthed or khan taking the throne, it's often a quick look at their 3 monarch point stats followed by either a face palm or a fist pump. As a feature in the upcoming expansion we will be giving a touch more identity to these walking point generators with Ruler Personalities.

eu4_30.png

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions. For Duke Francois do Dreux here, he has become a careful individual who will enjoy lower AE in expansion.

Most personalities are a boon for your nation but not all are so positive. While it would be lovely if all your rulers were Just, Incorruptible and Charismatic, you may well find that your ruler is too greedy for their own good like Vilhelm Skram of Denmark.

eu4_31.png

King Vilhelm is a tight-fisted greedy guts and will hoover up 10% of your tax income, but there is a silver lining to his greed. Many events have unlockable options now depending on your monarch's personality which will almost always be a superior option. Obscurantism will normally cost a nation in unrest or prestige, but greedy desires drive Vilhelm to seek out a more...lucrative path.

All personalities will unlock such options in some events, as well as have events of their own. Who knows what your Scholarly King or Malevolent Khan will get up to?

Ruler Personalities will be a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be sold alongside the free 1.18 patch.

While on the subject of monarchs, we will be paying special attention to a very influential dynasty of the time period next week, but for now I must take leave. Vilhelm has shaken me down for every ducat I own and I must take care of this.

greedy guts.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
"What?! France has taken Berlin and annexed the entire Prussian Empire! We must start a coalition to stop them dominating the entire continent"
"But sire, the current King of France is really careful."
"What does that matter, knave?"
"You don't understand sire, he's REALLY careful."
"Oh, I see. That's alright then. 10% more alight, to be exact."

Reactions:
First glance at the srennshots got me exited. I thought that we are finally going to have some dnyastic system in EU (royal family, no random heirs, no random succesion wars etc). But then I realised that it's just some personality changes for monarch. It's nice addition but Im still disappointed.

Reactions:
Nice, this wouldn't happen to be inspired by some of the more famous mods (Like M&T), would it?

Reactions:
First glance at the srennshots got me exited. I thought that we are finally going to have some dnyastic system in EU (royal family, no random heirs, no random succesion wars etc). But then I realised that it's just some personality changes for monarch. It's nice addition but Im still disappointed.
Don't rule things out entirely yet. There is a second banner under heir, some button with heir's crown next to ruler and the next DD is about a dynasty.

Reactions:
@DDRJake: Will the traits of a ruler be shown in the country selection screen at the start of the game or do we have to wait until we completely started up the session to see them (just like estates)?

Reactions:
If you want to make Glitterhoof another multi-series running gag like the comet, this is your chance. Double points if Glitterhoof will reduce diplomat travel time in this game.
triple points if you can make him an advisor, available for diplo/admin/military points, +3 in every categories. Or, you know, make him senator.

Reactions:
I want this so bad :D Good job

I really hope the UI will be more elegant at relase.
+ Nice that the bonuses from Advisors are now image icons :O

I hope so. It's bad design to hide it from the player.
How come?
Unless you have some influence over traits gained what would be the point?

For example, Stellaris and HoI4 use such a system - nations get different descriptions/options for the same incident.

Edit: NVM; from Trin Tragula's clarification I gather you meant why a spacial option is enabled and not have all options present but grayed-out[?].

Last edited:
Reactions:
Since the next DD is about genealogical trees, could we have next of the heir an indication like "brother", "son", "nephew" or "uncle"? :D

Very interesting, those traits. AARs writers will rejoice, as well as rp players, and it might push some people to not sacrifice their heir so readily.

About the prudent Napoleon, he is so prudent that he tries to mitigate the way he is humuliating his adversaries, so he is able to go just outside the coalition zone. Of course that means nothing if he is doing something as drastic as abolishing the HRE. But he could have been more reasonable.

Reactions:
Sounds good, but also sounds like something that would restrict the AI and not the player (so a buff for the player), unless the personality restrictions the AI has will also happen to the player (I doubt it). Not talking about the extra options in popups, but more like if a 'coward' ruler won't let an AI start a war, would it be the same for a player?

And a question... What is the piechart next to the ruler? The amount of time we have to wait until having a new trait? Isn't that a bit too visible, if it is the case?

Reactions:
Whats the catch about that description of hunting accident death of greedy ruler in the last screenshot?

Did we finally get a way to kill our rulers or am i imagining things?! :D
Perhaps they decided to add death reasons in the style of CK2 or it's just random flavour.

What of regencies? Will those have traits?

Reactions:
I love the concept!

One gripe: A 'careful' monarch should not be played as careful, as his trait encourages aggressive conquests. I know it's difficult to match perfectly, but it might be something to keep in mind.

Reactions: