• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Let's take a good look at our King/Khan/Doge/Emperor/Prince.

The ruler of your state is of prime importance to your nation but when you see your new heir birthed or khan taking the throne, it's often a quick look at their 3 monarch point stats followed by either a face palm or a fist pump. As a feature in the upcoming expansion we will be giving a touch more identity to these walking point generators with Ruler Personalities.

eu4_30.png

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions. For Duke Francois do Dreux here, he has become a careful individual who will enjoy lower AE in expansion.

Most personalities are a boon for your nation but not all are so positive. While it would be lovely if all your rulers were Just, Incorruptible and Charismatic, you may well find that your ruler is too greedy for their own good like Vilhelm Skram of Denmark.

eu4_31.png

King Vilhelm is a tight-fisted greedy guts and will hoover up 10% of your tax income, but there is a silver lining to his greed. Many events have unlockable options now depending on your monarch's personality which will almost always be a superior option. Obscurantism will normally cost a nation in unrest or prestige, but greedy desires drive Vilhelm to seek out a more...lucrative path.

All personalities will unlock such options in some events, as well as have events of their own. Who knows what your Scholarly King or Malevolent Khan will get up to?

Ruler Personalities will be a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be sold alongside the free 1.18 patch.

While on the subject of monarchs, we will be paying special attention to a very influential dynasty of the time period next week, but for now I must take leave. Vilhelm has shaken me down for every ducat I own and I must take care of this.

greedy guts.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
Question:

Will we be able to choose our ruler's traits when we create a custom nation? Looking foward to this DLC!

I also realized something a few moments ago in relation to the Custom Nation Designer. With the new tech overhaul we won't be able to retain the western tech progress if we make a custom nation in e.g. the americas or asia ;_;?

Reactions:
I also realized something a few moments ago in relation to the Custom Nation Designer. With the new tech overhaul we won't be able to retain the western tech progress if we make a custom nation in e.g. the americas or asia ;_;?
You might be able to choose whether or not you start with feudalism already embraced, but probably not anything else.

You might be able to choose whether or not you start with feudalism already embraced, but probably not anything else.

Choice of tech group (they are still around for things like map spread) will likely unlock starting feudalism for RNW and the nation designer.
After that spread will work like normal.

Reactions:
Choice of tech group (they are still around for things like map spread) will likely unlock starting feudalism for RNW and the nation designer.
After that spread will work like normal.

Will High American start with Feudalism?

Well, this is disappointing. Many of us wanted more interaction with rulers for a long time, but there is exactly zero additional interaction/gameplay here. All we get is simply more rng, the amount of rng for rulers is already way too high as is. This also continues the trend of giving dlc-buyers straight up additional boni people without the dlc don't get (nothing wrong with new gameplay features / more options, but this is just a bonus).

Anyway the next update seems to be a big one, so I'm still exited for it.

Last edited:
Well, this is disappointing. Many of us wanted more interaction with rules for a long time, but there is exactly zero additional interaction/gameplay here. All we get is simply more rng, the amount of rng for rulers is already way too high as is. This also continues the trend of giving dlc-buyers straight up additional boni people without the dlc don't get (nothing wrong with new gameplay features / more options, but this is just a bonus).

Anyway the next update seems to be a big one, so I'm still exited for it.

I had a suggestion for that earlier in the thread:

Is there any way for the player to control what traits their ruler has? Otherwise it feels like there isn't much difference between this and the existing system. Just look at what you have and roll with it, since you can't do anything about it.

Random idea would be to choose a set of traits and you'd be assigned one of them at random. Then you can make sure you don't get something that's terrible for your plans, or have a chance to get something that's great for your plans. EX: Player decides to have their ruler run a business in their spare time, they might get meticulous (reduces corruption), greedy (reduces tax income), or charitable (reduces revolt risk and tax income). If they have them spend more time with theology they might develop zealotry (increased true faith tolerance, but lowered heretic and heathen tolerance), humility (faster prestige decay), or pride (more prestige from land and sea battles). They could also spend time with scholarly pursuits or with the art of combat. Another event could be how you choose to deal with the intrigues of court, etc.

Yay! Now we can rework the Claim Throne and PU mechanics so they make more sense! I have a few ideas to start with.
For Claim Throne, instead of being everyone with a royal marriage, it can only be applied on nations of your dynasty with either a low legitimacy king (30-) or a Queen.
In the ledger, there will be a page that shows you your dynasty. Now, there's a random chance each month that every married member of your dynasty will have a baby. Of course, to stop the screen from getting too cluttered, it will stop at 2nd cousins. When you click royal marriage, you select a member from your dynasty and a member of their dynasty. Depending on their importance in the family, i.e. marrying your heir to theirs, there will be a negative modifier, and for uniting the 2 kingdoms, it would only work if you were much stronger than they are. Almost like vassalizing a country. You can (of course) only marry men to women. Be careful though, because if you have a female who's 2nd in line marry Austria's heir and your current heir dies, you (once your current king dies) will be under an Austrian PU. If Austria has a female heir though, you can marry her to one of your cousins/other male family members and get your dynasty on their throne. There should also be a choice in the popup menu to alert you when a country has an heir.
If there are no apparent heirs, it goes to any siblings. If there are no siblings, it goes to cousins, etc. These are some features I'd like to see, anyways. I may add more next time I have a good idea.

Reactions:
Oh so you're going to be talking about my great grandfathers, the Capets?

Reactions:
am i the ONLY person wondering if there is a ruler assassination option due to that last screen cap????

Reactions: