• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Let's take a good look at our King/Khan/Doge/Emperor/Prince.

The ruler of your state is of prime importance to your nation but when you see your new heir birthed or khan taking the throne, it's often a quick look at their 3 monarch point stats followed by either a face palm or a fist pump. As a feature in the upcoming expansion we will be giving a touch more identity to these walking point generators with Ruler Personalities.

eu4_30.png

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions. For Duke Francois do Dreux here, he has become a careful individual who will enjoy lower AE in expansion.

Most personalities are a boon for your nation but not all are so positive. While it would be lovely if all your rulers were Just, Incorruptible and Charismatic, you may well find that your ruler is too greedy for their own good like Vilhelm Skram of Denmark.

eu4_31.png

King Vilhelm is a tight-fisted greedy guts and will hoover up 10% of your tax income, but there is a silver lining to his greed. Many events have unlockable options now depending on your monarch's personality which will almost always be a superior option. Obscurantism will normally cost a nation in unrest or prestige, but greedy desires drive Vilhelm to seek out a more...lucrative path.

All personalities will unlock such options in some events, as well as have events of their own. Who knows what your Scholarly King or Malevolent Khan will get up to?

Ruler Personalities will be a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be sold alongside the free 1.18 patch.

While on the subject of monarchs, we will be paying special attention to a very influential dynasty of the time period next week, but for now I must take leave. Vilhelm has shaken me down for every ducat I own and I must take care of this.

greedy guts.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
i realy like this i have wanted you to put in som more information and stuf on reuler and heir so you give them more deph ypu can also and like a a titel tothem maby that Wold be awesome

Reactions:
I wonder if while adding new options to events they will also revise them to make sure that they integrate all the old systems properly.

I also wonder if there will be any trait-related decisions.

Reactions:
I just had a possible epiphany!

The second green ribbon is indeed for a second possible heir, while the button with the heir crown on a cushion is for choosing which one of the two possible heirs you'd like to designate. There will probably be a penalty/limitation on being able to choose your primary heir. I think that Christians should generally only be able to change heir in very specific situations, while e.g. Muslims should be able to choose freely.

Reactions:
Glad to see that the rulers are getting some much-needed attention. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions.

So there will be a chance even for immortal 0/0/0 now? Oh yeah!

4fcfc03d1ff8901e79b67b13df28441a.jpg

Reactions:
We plan to both have this and have it fully moddable.

Will it be possible to mod it so leaders can get traits through events?

Reactions:
I do have to wonder if one personality type will be "Friendly towards Prussia: +200 relations for Prussia, leave any war currently against Prussia"

Reactions:
There were lots of Austria vs Hungary games when the Austria-Hungary empire still existed, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria–Hungary_football_rivalry
So it basically worked the same way it does in GB? Good to know.

About DLC, I wonder if the personality of the next ruler will be shown in the election window for the republics and elective monarchy? Also, from what I've gathered republican rulers enhance their personality after 10 and 25 years just like kingdoms? Well it's a bit too long, getting additional personality by keeping the same ruler would make more sense. And then, what about republics in which you can't extend the rule, like in the statist Netherlands?

If there are multiple possible heirs, then nations can support the pretenders over the chosen heir - people like the Young and Old Pretenders of England come into play. Civil wars could break out and religion could have a far bigger role to play if one is a Catholic and the other a Protestant. All of this is from a very English perspective of course, since that's what I know about best - but I imagine similar things happened elsewhere.

This will add a HUGE element to the strategic gameplay - putting your chosen heir on a throne, either via diplomatic means (install him or else!) or through war will no doubt give alliances, bonuses and other things. If you win a war after a foreign power tries to impose their will, that should give bonuses too - maybe permanent ones such as the aftermath of the Spanish Armada.

Reactions:
View attachment 189596

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Let's take a good look at our King/Khan/Doge/Emperor/Prince.

The ruler of your state is of prime importance to your nation but when you see your new heir birthed or khan taking the throne, it's often a quick look at their 3 monarch point stats followed by either a face palm or a fist pump. As a feature in the upcoming expansion we will be giving a touch more identity to these walking point generators with Ruler Personalities.

View attachment 189581

When a ruler comes of age they will develop a personality important to the function of the state. They will develop another trait after ruling for 10 years and a further personality after ruling for a total of 25 years. These personalities will grant a modifier for your nation as well as bonus options in event and changes to the AI's actions. For Duke Francois do Dreux here, he has become a careful individual who will enjoy lower AE in expansion.

Most personalities are a boon for your nation but not all are so positive. While it would be lovely if all your rulers were Just, Incorruptible and Charismatic, you may well find that your ruler is too greedy for their own good like Vilhelm Skram of Denmark.

View attachment 189582

King Vilhelm is a tight-fisted greedy guts and will hoover up 10% of your tax income, but there is a silver lining to his greed. Many events have unlockable options now depending on your monarch's personality which will almost always be a superior option. Obscurantism will normally cost a nation in unrest or prestige, but greedy desires drive Vilhelm to seek out a more...lucrative path.

All personalities will unlock such options in some events, as well as have events of their own. Who knows what your Scholarly King or Malevolent Khan will get up to?

Ruler Personalities will be a paid feature in the upcoming expansion, which will be sold alongside the free 1.18 patch.

While on the subject of monarchs, we will be paying special attention to a very influential dynasty of the time period next week, but for now I must take leave. Vilhelm has shaken me down for every ducat I own and I must take care of this.

View attachment 189585
I always wanted to be able to send my heir to school. just sacrifice a few ducets to get em educated.

Reactions:
If there are multiple possible heirs, then nations can support the pretenders over the chosen heir - people like the Young and Old Pretenders of England come into play. Civil wars could break out and religion could have a far bigger role to play if one is a Catholic and the other a Protestant. All of this is from a very English perspective of course, since that's what I know about best - but I imagine similar things happened elsewhere.

This will add a HUGE element to the strategic gameplay - putting your chosen heir on a throne, either via diplomatic means (install him or else!) or through war will no doubt give alliances, bonuses and other things. If you win a war after a foreign power tries to impose their will, that should give bonuses too - maybe permanent ones such as the aftermath of the Spanish Armada.

Not only England actually, Polish Commonwealth comes to mind when the subject is of foreign heirs imposed, Habsburg, Bourbon and Russian influenced Polish Elections greatly as the years passed.

Next Expansion only gets better and better....

Reactions: