• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's Development Diary for EU4. Last week, programming maestro and wine connoisseur @MatRopert gave some insight into the technical debt that we have been and continue to be working on for EU4. Today, I'm going to continue probing at some quality of life suggestions.

Quality of Life will be a large focus of our expansion and update this year. In a couple of previous dev diaries, I talked about some of the QoL suggestions from the forums here. Today, I want to share some that have come up internally. Many people here at PDX HQ play EU4 regularly, and as you've surely seen, many compete in our in-house dev clash. As such, when it was heard that the EU4 team were going to be tackling QoL issues in a big way, many came forward with their own suggestions.

As has been said before, issues being listed here is not a guarantee that that they will be in the upcoming release.

"Take-as-much-money-as-possible-without-exceeding-warscore"

It fills my heart with glee that one of the first things we got internally was a demand to make taking all of someone's money easier. I think we've all been there when you've defeated your opponent, draw up the land you wish to take, then ask for a generous amount of their money, but the money you ask is too much, so begins the dainty process of clicking the - button on money. It doesn't help that the tooltip covers the acceptance chance.

We could well add a button for "as much as possible" where it takes money up to the point where it will still be accepted, or add a ctrl-click function for this. Either way, the frustration here is clear to see and remove, and since it's about taking money, it speaks dearly to me.

"Fully annex country option in peacedeals"

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

"Fix the Truce Timers not following their tooltips. Truces frequently end months before advertised, or claim they are over when you still get a stab hit for DOWing"

This strays into the realm of a bug, but none the less it lowers the quality of one's life. There's likely a bit of elbow grease needed in making the truces more robust so that you can have confidence in the tooltipped date for when they end, but it's high on the priority list to look into.

"Make age visible on Generals/Admirals"

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

"Click on core of a country in a province -> highlight all their cores"

Figuring out which nation to subjugate and which lands to take can often come down to who still stakes a firm core on them, including annexed nations. The highlighting feature on provinces was introduced alongside Rule Britannia, and this is a prime candidate for where we can add such a thing.

These QoL features (and many more) stand alongside those that we have been receiving from the forums, and remain a strong focus of this year's expansion and accompanying update. once our lengthy period of tech debt work is done and dusted, we look forward to sharing with you what we develop, as it comes. I know many are disappointed that we aren't showing off new features, map work and the like for the upcoming expansion and update, but the tech debt that we take care of today, paves the way for said development.

I'd like to see the introduction of a new "Government type" mapmode, personally. Wouldn't be hard to do, I reckon.

Monarchy
Republic
Theocracy
Horde
Tribe

That's about 5 colours you'd have to use in total (maybe I forgot some, I don't actually know, but these are the basic forms of government if you ignore the unique ones like English Monarchy and Dutch Republic and so on).

I'm pretty sure that there is already an existing government map mode in eu4...

I've some Quality of life suggestions for HRE!

1 - Know what provinces are in HRE in the Emperor domains.
In HRE map it show what pronvices are in HRE and the ones who don't, but only for members, not for the Emperor.
The HRE map shows which provinces are in HRE (and which aren't) when it comes to members. But in the domains of the Emperor, it show all provinces like they were in HRE, even if they aren't.

2 - Button: "Add all provinces to the HRE"
To add all provinces at once to HRE.

3 - See eliminated Reformation Centers
In the religious map one can see the active Reformation Centers.
But what about those who have been eliminated?
This information would help when trying to suppress them.
(Information that could be displayed on Ledge or) It can be shown on the religious map, appearing has a "ghost mark" (or watermark) where it was.

Thanks Paradox and
Keep the Good Work.

We should be able to decide to play with or without "endgame tags", I know that there are lots of people who prefer to not being able to form let's say Byzantium as Ottomans and I can respect that, but there are people who wants to just have some fun with strange country formations, so being able to choose before the game start if you want or not this option is enabled, would be a good addition to the game.

We should be able to decide to play with or without "endgame tags", I know that there are lots of people who prefer to not being able to form let's say Byzantium as Ottomans and I can respect that, but there are people who wants to just have some fun with strange country formations, so being able to choose before the game start if you want or not this option is enabled, would be a good addition to the game.
I'm not sure why we don't have Game-Start options in general. If it'd be extremely imbalanced (such as chaining every mission-tree claims), then just have it disable achievements. Otherwise we'd be able to have people that prefer one rule over another, and Paradox could use the usage data to improve the game, something they can't really tell if a mod does it instead.
Take CK2 for example, VERY few people like the Defensive Pact mechanics, but there ARE a few people who do. You can just turn them off, same with the Sunset Invasion, the AI trying to bang your wife, AI trying to kidnap you, invasions, Supernatural Events, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Three actual QoL suggestions I'd really love to see implemented:

EXPIRING DATES ON "CLAIMS EXPIRING" NOTIFICATION
Just like that very useful top-screen notification for Truces ending (which still should work better, as pointed out above), expiring dates of your Claims could be shown in a similar manner. Should both tools show precise dates for truces and claims in expiring order, not only would the fatiguing process of searching and checking all your claims be avoided, but you'd get a nice war calendar. I'm not the only one forging too many claims some twenty years in advance, right?

SCROLLABLE "AGE" TAB
Maybe most of you people play EU-IV on huge screens and fancy computers, but some of us just don't. If the only available game resolution is too small, then you simply can't read the bottom of the "Age" tab. "What does it say there? Oh, I must be emperor of China and adopt some cultures and.... well, can't read the last one. Probably not important". It actually should be scrollable. Please never assume your huge tabs fit everyone's screen.

MOVABLE LAND-BATTLE TAB (or movable land-army tabs)
Well, for the same reason as above, whenever a land battle occurs, the battle tab covers the army tabs (all of them, not just some - if you play at a low-enough resolution). Neither of these tabs can be moved around, resulting in extreme difficulties when trying to select the proper army to retreat. I think either should be movable, like most pop-ups, or some other clever solution devised.

Why the khmer dont use the la xang Unit pack? Everyone in the Indochina uses them, except the khmer, they uses the standard asian, which is ugly and weird! Fix it, please or for the sake of God give to them a unique unit pack!

#khmer unit pack matter!
Agree.

Already quite curious, hyped and also a bit anxious to see what we'll get tomorrow!

Let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

WARNING: LONG

It's not really about QoL but I'd like a rework of some GC mechanics;
I believe holy orders should be a colonial-only/extra-european institution (they were naturally present in Europe but 1)they can be represented by the clergy estate 2)they did not have remotely as much influence as they have now and 3)It doesn't make much sense) and should have interesting and flavorful events.

Expel minority should be changed to its core or be replaced by a different mechanic because it doesn't make any sense at all in the current form (muslim spanish colonies, burgundian and italian territories hispanicized, deminished cultural diversity in the old world).

This is my idea to rework the mechanic:
make it so that only heretics can be expelled, and make the provinces of the expelled minority become of the true faith AND with only a small chance, decreasing with development, of converting it's culture. The new world province is of the expelled minority's religion and culture.

Other small mechanics that could be added would be:

-decisions or events to open up the new world for accepted and culture group cultures if they make up at least a certain % of the development, increasing settler chance or growth and giving the province a culture dependent on % of cultures (the effects would be disallowed if the primary culture makes up an overwhelming part of the country to avoid exploitation).
-Events for Castille, Spain or Navarra regarding the Basque in the Americas.
-Rare events for the establishment of heathen colonies
-Events regarding the ulster scots for England/GB if Scotland is owned by them or non-tributary subject. (RB)
-Events and modifiers making Ireland harder to convert to a non-catholic christian religion. (RB)

Also please make it so that CN actually convert to a certain extent religion and culture, I'm pretty sure that Mexico by the 1800's wasn't predominantly nauhatl.

I will be genuinely happy if even one of these gets implemented and I genuinely hope this is seen by a developer.

TL;DR: holy order as an extra-european only mechanic, expel minority can be used only on heretics and religiously converts the province but have only a small chance of culturally converting the home province, colonial flavor, CN convert.
Whatever is done with expelling minorities it should be limited by Native Policy to only Native Repression policy, as this represents the English attitude towards colonisation. Expelling heretics or infidels to America was never done by Spain or Portugal. In Spain it was completely forbidden to go to America if deemed unfit by the authorities, which among other things meant not being a declared heretic. In Golden Century they mixed the expulsion of unconverted Jews of 1492 with English deportation of heretics to America and ended up with this absolute mess of a mechanic, that has Spain turning the Dutch into Castilians and Portugal creating Sunni colonies. On top of it colonial nations don't convert natives, which is just absurd.

My guess is they wanted to do something "diverse" and chose colonisation out of all things. Spanish colonisation meant religiously homogeneous but ethnically diverse colonies and English colonisation meant religiously diverse but ethnically homogeneous colonies. What they have done here is just a mess.

Diplomacy macro-builder needs tweaks:

1) add a "has relation" type option so one diplomat can do both allies and subjects
2) add a check box or otherwise give an option so that "neighbors" and "threatening" don't waste time cozying up to a rival or someone that considers you a rival
3) add electors option

There are probably more but those are the ones I regularly want to pull my hair out over...

Why the khmer dont use the la xang Unit pack? Everyone in the Indochina uses them, except the khmer, they uses the standard asian, which is ugly and weird! Fix it, please or for the sake of God give to them a unique unit pack!

#khmer unit pack matter!
"The Headdresses of foot soldiers, Angkor Wat, Cambodia"

60389730_532867163912439_6354754639597928448_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/SEAheritageandhistory/photos/a.479443552588134/532867157245773/

Dunno if real:
60363164_2472012829709986_2860040437761048576_n.jpg