• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's Development Diary for EU4. Last week, programming maestro and wine connoisseur @MatRopert gave some insight into the technical debt that we have been and continue to be working on for EU4. Today, I'm going to continue probing at some quality of life suggestions.

Quality of Life will be a large focus of our expansion and update this year. In a couple of previous dev diaries, I talked about some of the QoL suggestions from the forums here. Today, I want to share some that have come up internally. Many people here at PDX HQ play EU4 regularly, and as you've surely seen, many compete in our in-house dev clash. As such, when it was heard that the EU4 team were going to be tackling QoL issues in a big way, many came forward with their own suggestions.

As has been said before, issues being listed here is not a guarantee that that they will be in the upcoming release.

"Take-as-much-money-as-possible-without-exceeding-warscore"

It fills my heart with glee that one of the first things we got internally was a demand to make taking all of someone's money easier. I think we've all been there when you've defeated your opponent, draw up the land you wish to take, then ask for a generous amount of their money, but the money you ask is too much, so begins the dainty process of clicking the - button on money. It doesn't help that the tooltip covers the acceptance chance.

We could well add a button for "as much as possible" where it takes money up to the point where it will still be accepted, or add a ctrl-click function for this. Either way, the frustration here is clear to see and remove, and since it's about taking money, it speaks dearly to me.

"Fully annex country option in peacedeals"

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

"Fix the Truce Timers not following their tooltips. Truces frequently end months before advertised, or claim they are over when you still get a stab hit for DOWing"

This strays into the realm of a bug, but none the less it lowers the quality of one's life. There's likely a bit of elbow grease needed in making the truces more robust so that you can have confidence in the tooltipped date for when they end, but it's high on the priority list to look into.

"Make age visible on Generals/Admirals"

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

"Click on core of a country in a province -> highlight all their cores"

Figuring out which nation to subjugate and which lands to take can often come down to who still stakes a firm core on them, including annexed nations. The highlighting feature on provinces was introduced alongside Rule Britannia, and this is a prime candidate for where we can add such a thing.

These QoL features (and many more) stand alongside those that we have been receiving from the forums, and remain a strong focus of this year's expansion and accompanying update. once our lengthy period of tech debt work is done and dusted, we look forward to sharing with you what we develop, as it comes. I know many are disappointed that we aren't showing off new features, map work and the like for the upcoming expansion and update, but the tech debt that we take care of today, paves the way for said development.

A few ideas:
  1. Let us demolish enemy forts during peace deals.

2. Let us demolish forts in Vassal/March lands.

3. Let us decline PUs and concede a Succession War before it starts.

4. Let us manually enter the Ducat value when we sell/buy ships (rather than use a slider).

5. Add a building queue (so we can pay for a number of buildings up front and let them be built one after another).

6. Add a "Send Naval Officers" option for Marches with navies (rather than just "Send Officers" for land forces).

7. Pay out huge Prestige bonuses over time rather than as lump sums (like the 100-Prestige circumnavigation bonus).

Let us manually enter the Ducat value when we sell/buy ships (rather than use a slider).
More broadly: Allow the use of the keyboard for all numeric input.

It would be really nice especially in multiplayer if you had a option just like "automatic rebell supression" but this is intended for defense against enemy nations in occupied and owned territory, It would really help alot with all the ugly micro managing. Also it would be nice to both supress rebells and the option I sugested if u can add so fleets can support that option so u can protect islands also
OT
also, what about AI start building forts like I posted long time ago https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-is-the-forts.1123956/#post-24750576

Last edited:
The "New States are available to be assigned" notice button shows a list of most valuable states when hovered over, but when you click it, it just randomly chooses a state to go to. I would very much like it to go from the top of the list of what's shown when hovering over it, instead of all this randomness.

The expel minorities mechanic REALLY should be reworked. I honestly haven't met a single person who liked it.

The AI should only consider expelling minorities of different cultural groups. Spain expelling the Moorish Andalusians makes sense, Spain expelling the Galician Catholics does not.
In a game of mine Spain, after having integrated Aragon and Naples, where conquering and expelling Italians, so many provinces of Italy were of Iberian culture. And of course they were still expelling most to all of their Iberian brethren on the Iberian peninsula.

All the items mentioned in the DD would be wonderfully convenient! I especially hope that the Full Annexation option will appear even when it's not possible, just like vassalization does right now. The number listed next to that option (eg, 265%; 120%) gives the player a useful general measure of what it will take to make that option possible.

The number of clicks required if you get bad starting conditions or something goes wrong and you have to start over would be my #1.

click Menu. click Exit to Main Menu. Are you Sure? Close Score Screen. select Single Player. select Start Date. select Nation. click Play. select Iron Man. click Play. select Save to overwrite. click Start Ironman. Are you Sure?

How about one "Start Over" button?!? Then I can just tab out and do other things while waiting on the engine to reload.

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

While at it can you also ad an option to annex a state? That would be very helpful when I'm specifically targeting the set of provinces that make my enemies strong, and would easily increase my income... just a thought :)

Alternative: Allow prestige to overflow beyond 100 and cap the effects at 100. Like how Absolutism can go over 100 just as a buffer.

You'd have people with effectively 1000 prestige easily at the end of the game in that case.

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

I really don't know if the focus on "instruments of state" adds anything to the game. We already know this is not like CK2, after all.

A lot of the recent additions like ruler traits and general traits are great. I'd like to see more of this to be honest.

Could we please have some sort of AI weighted decision when it comes to colonization?
I have played this game hundreds of times and never once saw Castille in Central America or Portugal in Brazil.
Portugal seens to always go for the Caribbean and Castille always goes for Brazil.
If I play Portugal and rush Brazil before Castille, they will just colonize Africa instead. Castille colonized like 70% of the uncolonized land in eu4 and yet they seem to never EVER colonize any historical land in the game.
Brittain also seems to always hit Central and South America, but never North America.

Also, this shouldn't come off as a surprise since literally every player predicted this before 1.28, but Portugal always, ALWAYS, without Exception, gets to the two uncolonized Canary Islands before Castille, often leading to Castille going for Arguim or Cape Verde instead.

Its almost as if the AI is hard coded to colonize ahistorical lands.

This ruins my quality of life far more than anything else.

It seems the Golden Century update added a non-historical mission for Portugal right at the top of their mission tree. I too have run multiple ironman games as Castile & Portugal and in all (but 1.) When Castile, Portugal had multiple colonies in the Caribbean without one in South America and when Portugal, Castile would rush to colonize my traditional mission locations (Africa or Brazil) and not even look to colonize the Caribbean. Look, I know it's a game, but maybe the AI should try to follow a more historic path and leave the intentional blocking of Human players achieving their missions to multiplayer. Like was stated above, This Chaps My Hide and QoL.

Stellaris devclash is over, Imperator is almost done. So EU4 devclash when?
I'd assume once they are ready to start showing off 2019 DLC content.

A great example for this feature is obviously taking the last province of a colonial power, so that you inherit all their colonial nations. The pain is always finding that last colony under construction, and you may not be able to take the province due to coring range, bordering rules, or a some peace deal finessing is required.

To the point - if the Fully Annex option is grayed out for some reason, could it tell you why? Alternatively when taking provinces in a peace deal, could the dialog tell you which nation actually owns each province?

There is nothing wrong with the Portuguese national ideas. Unless, of course, you want them to be a militaristic wrecking ball...
Have you actually looked at Portuguese ideas? They literally use the same pathetic modifier twice (trade efficiency +5% and +10%). This, for the world’s first truly global empire, which was historically able to punch far above its weight.

Last edited:
Quality of life? I'll list off some small ones I think are possible without much work. Who knows, maybe some of these are in the game but I've yet to discover them after 1100 hours. That wouldn't shock me at all!

• I would like colored flags/little banners for different armies. So I can quickly look at the map and know that is my siege group or that is my "special unit of +modifier troops". I know I can name them but unless I feel like pausing all of the time I quickly lose track of who is who.
  • Including vassals in the ledger when viewing rivals/allies
  • Including the "estimated" amount of troops to enter a battle on each side based on who has checkboxes to join the war.
  • Being able to track achievements/missions in the overlay. Perhaps allow me to mouse over them to show achievement goals.
  • Get rid of the confirmation to stop a troop from suppressing rebels
  • Let my explorer explore everything and put the icon up there letting me know when he has run out of things to do
  • I never use the message box.
  • Give me a harsh treatment button on the stability main page instead of having to click "Handle Them". Does anyone even use options besides harsh treatment and accept demands? I change culture from a different screen.
  • Automatically mothball forts AFTER a war toggle.
  • Allow "provinces of interest" or ones that are part of a mission requirement requirement to have a little icon next to them on the peace deal screen.
  • I know with the religious conversion changes this one might not be as friendly to out bank accounts, but a "continuous convert" wouldn't be so bad imo. I typically just pick the shortest one with the highest unity(if I need unity). Otherwise just the shortest conversion. Usually the popup lets me know I need to do it again but if we can suppress the popups with a continuous convert that would be amazing!
  • Similar to continuous conversion...I might even drill my troops more often if I didn't have to bother with micromanaging it. Drill when not at war(or doing something else like suppressing. That feature needs a rework but this isn't the topic.

That is all I can think of right now. Thanks!

Last edited: