• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 15th of May 2018

Hello! So today's Dev Diary will be covering the ways to enter the Subcontinent of India. We’ve added two mechanics to help you gobbling up all those new juicy provinces in India if you are coming from distant lands.

First is the new unique government that the true heirs of Timur the Lame can claim, or as we good friends of him like to call him, our good Amir Timur. The Mughal Diwan will give the empire a bureaucracy capable of integrating the vast swaths of lands that lie before it. The reform mechanic replaces the promotion of cultures to one where the nation integrates a culture by assimilating it into its government. Assimilation of a culture happens when the nation have conquered every single province of that culture and that will make that culture a permanently accepted culture of the country.

eu4_4.png

Though besides only becoming promoted, if the Mughals manages to integrate an entire culture group into their empire they’ll get some small boni from the cultures contribution to the empire's administration. However this bonus is not permanent and is only kept as long as they can keep control of all the provinces.

Keep in mind all values are very work in progress and are very much subject to change and hit with nerf hammers!

eu4_5.png

The second feature we’ve added is for the Europeans and is called Charter Trade Company. This is a new diplomatic tool which will let you setup a trade company in foreign distant lands like Africa, South East Asia or India. The interaction has a base cost for establishing the expedition to the east. This cost is calculated on your colonial range meaning as you progress in technology it will get cheaper, or if you have modifiers that steers your nation to the more adventurous type. This action can only be used on Trade Company Charter regions and any provinces you gain from this will automatically be made into a Trade Company province.

eu4_6.png

It’s a small feature, but we put a lot of focus on making sure the AI uses this as one would expect . We did this since we know this has been a major pet peeve of you lot, ranging from it not being worth it shipping your troops over half the world to just simply the AI never does.

So we put our elbow grease on to make it possible to “get started” in the far east and that the colonizers of Europe would understand how to do this. While playing this is how it turned out for me with Spain buying provinces in Madagascar, Gujarat, Coromandel and Portugal in Goa and the Malabar Coast. Also bonus with the Turkish West India Company next to the Spanish Gujarat.

eu4_8.png

Next thing on the agenda is PDXCON! You should look up the EU4 booth and I'll happily tease you about how cool the upcoming features are :cool:
See you there!

Very nice. I think the Mughals will be a very popular tag next update. I have to ask though; is there a reason for Indian players to accept similar interactions? By the time Europeans arrive, I assume you won't need the direct cash and just want to keep the Europeans out.

Very nice. I think the Mughals will be a very popular tag next update. I have to ask though; is there a reason for Indian players to accept similar interactions? By the time Europeans arrive, I assume you won't need the direct cash and just want to keep the Europeans out.

Yes there is the old Trade company mechanic but we have more that we are not ready yet to reveal why though :)

Really like those additions. Charter trade companies sound like a great idea and I look forward to the AI actually having bases in India. Although I do hope there's something to prevent a really powerful country from selling their provinces off.

The new Mughal government bonus thingy sounds really good too! Might have to try out a game as the Mughals for the first time!

How the money work in the new patch? could AI have capability to generate enough money to buy land? especially in early-mid game

They did for me, but we will obviously monitor and see how it turns out. The AI tweaks here were done literally before the dev dairy. Why it was partly late because I wanted to take a genuine picture of the AI doing this on their own.

What are the requirements to be able to Charter Company? Since the Ottomans can apparently do it (erhmpf) who else can?

Although I do hope there's something to prevent a really powerful Indian country from selling their provinces off.

Empires will refuse to sell provinces, Imperialism and all that ;)

Wauw ! These are amazing steps to better represent administrative and colonial mechanics. Really cool, I always wanted cultures to give some kind of a bonus, now you can decide if it's worth to culture convert or assimilate a culture.

What are the requirements to be able to Charter Company? Since the Ottomans can apparently do it (erhmpf) who else can?

You can Charter Company on Trade Company Charter Regions that are on a different continent. So if you play in India you can do it in Africa.

Yes there is the old Trade company mechanic but we have more that we are not ready yet to reveal why though :)

Thanks for the quick answer. Sorry for the follow up, but will some European nations keep their claims on India through the missions? One might argue the interaction might not get used if they can just threaten war and take whatever they need the old way without paying a lot of cash.