• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 15th of January 2019

Good day all and a Happy New Year to you too. After a somewhat extended break I have finally come back to the office and rejoined the rest of the EUIV team. Our immediate tasks at hand are checking on and potentially ironing out any remaining issues from 1.28 as well as putting our plans together for the year.

As we mentioned in the chunky end of year dev diary our focus for the year will be a large European Expansion, with a heavy focus on crushing outstanding bugs and delivering Quality of Life improvements. We will be getting going with that shortly, after taking care of a few remaining important issues which have been reported in 1.28, including the Trade Company stuttering and save file issues with Expelling minorities. Once we investigate and fix these and other issues, we'll work towards releasing a 1.28.3 Patch.

As we also indicated in last year's wrap-up dev diary, we'll be fairly light on content in these dev diaries for a while, as we take the time both to put together a 1.28.3 Patch and plan out our large end of year Expansion. Frankly put: there isn't the content in the game to be talking about right now, so instead I'll turn attention to how I invited everyone to bring forward longstanding bugs and QoL issues they would like to see taken care of in said expansion. I'll grab some interesting ones and give some thoughts on them.

I'll say ahead of time that these are just thoughts on matters, and not to be taken as firm promises of things to come.

Mothballed Armies

This is something that gets suggested frequently and on one level, it makes nice symmetric sense: One can mothball Navies, why not armies? It will continue not to be implemented however, as while navies serve a variety of roles, including piracy, anti-piracy, trade, transport and combat, your armies serve almost entirely the exclusive role of combat. The ability to mothball parts of your armies would trivialize the cost of maintaining a large army, granting large nations even further advantages.

There are other approaches to this with ideas like higher costs for far flung armies: It could/should be more expensive to operate the Dutch armies in China than in the Netherlands. Such things are not on the cards currently, but make interesting food for thought.

Mod tweaks in the Launcher

I love this idea. Giving more information and flexibility with mods in the launcher would be extremely useful in games with such extensive mod communities as ours, and is certainly something worth exploring how to do right.

Diplomatic Macro Builder

There have been various suggestions for the Diplo Macro since its debut in Mandate of Heaven, not limited to those in the linked thread. Most of them revolve around not correctly targeting who the player is intending, with users not wanting it to target nations who they will soon destroy, or other particular sets of nations such as HRE members/Electors. These were out of the scope when the feature was being made, but as we re-visit parts of the game with QoL in mind, an actual custom list that the player can make at will is an interesting solution for this.

Provide options for subjects colonising regions, to stop them from colonising provinces you want to colonise.

For the precise map painters among us, I've seen this pop up. Colonial Nation subjects currently have some strict rules on lands which their AI will colonize, but I believe there's room for improvement there, where it can be loosened up but give the overlord the ability force colonization within their Colonial Region, so that, for example, Mexico doesn't snake their way into Louisiana and the Eastern Seaboard.

In the coming weeks until we start digging into more meat of what we're planning on doing in our big expansion this year, we'll likely pick up on various other suggestions that have been coming up, as well as a so far unannounced surprise that will be coming in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Also add the ability to swap provinces and increase coring costs and lower income from provinces that are too far away and unconnected from the capital in the same continent. This will help remove illogical annexations like France taking Karelia. Empires grew in oval or square shapes not in a snakelike shape with sporadic territories all over the place.

I still sort of feel like something interesting could be done with mothballing armies.

Like they don't just loose morale but get reduced to 10% or 25% troop strength and have to remuster from the manpower pool at some sort of discount (50% manpower cost)? So it would take quite a while to restock large amounts of troops.

Honestly, I think maybe military/fleet funding could use a rethink. Like, what does reducing the naval slider mean vs mothballing? Could the naval & military sliders be done away with all together and combined with mothballing/demustering? In that case, maybe all armies would automatically demuster at peace (same as reducing slider) and you could 'activate' or drill with certain armies at an increased peacetime support cost?

Colonial Nation subjects currently have some strict rules on lands which their AI will colonize, but I believe there's room for improvement there
What about personal union juniors and vassals? Portugal is incredibly annoying right now to have as a subject.

What about cultural minority modifiers? It would be a simpler way to represent demographics. Small, medium, large cultural minority. The larger the minority is in the modifier the less AE and coring costs it will take for the country that has said minority as a main culture. This would let Jews be represented and perhaps enable the creation of a jewish country if the large diaspora becomes the majority.

It can be used also for religious groups as a way to simulate remaining groups from previous conversions. Huguenots in France could be represented this way.

This rapidly decreases in effectiveness as you have more minorities to model. You could make a system out of it, but at that point it's so complicated and messy that it's easier to just use pops. And even with only one minority, it's still not as good, since it only handles that specific issue: minorities. It can't be expanded to collaborate with other game systems like trade, the way pops could.

I have no idea why the devs continuously refuse to consider the idea, though. Unless they think that borrowing ideas from other Paradox games is somehow dirty and it's more noble to do it your own way (which I hope isn't true, because that notion is insane), I just can't comprehend how it would be bad to implement such a system and would love some insight into what their reasons are. Unless that's our surprise in a few weeks time, in which case I'd love to hear what changed the devs' mind.

Please:

1) Vastly improve naval and colonisation mechanics

2) Add some much needed flavour to Italy and the HRE

Colonisation and navies are some of the weakest parts of the game still, and while there are baby steps in the right direction both these key features of the game are bland and uninteresting, considering the period they should have so much more focus and be brought back into focus as the key concepts of the era.

Italy and the HRE is now vastly in need of a major look at, both these regions are suffering under the weight given to the surrounding areas with Britain, Spain, France, The Low countries and Poland receiving huge strides in complexity and general mechanics. The Italian region is now pretty neglected which is sad considering it was a key focus point for much of European history through the renaissance and the Italian wars, an expansion focused on bringing life to Italy and some mechanics to play at recreating the Italian wars would be absolutely fantastic. The HRE also needs a big improvement, both in provinces and general mechanics, especially as the core mechanics of the HRE haven't really changed since the game release.

QoL Feature:

Please add in / rework the existing 1440p UI - to optional use the 1080p one for 27' monitors. (Or for all resolutions at least two options.) There´s a mod - but it either breaks Ironman - or the minimap isn´t usable. So it shouldn´t be that hard. It´s really not optimal right now. If I downscale everything to 1080p it gets blurry. If I scale the UI via settings.txt - it gets blurry. Right now i´m using a font-mod - but it´s not optimal either.

The rest already sounds good. Asked myself the last campaign why I can´t use the macrobuilder to target the electors or other HRE-Countries. Fine.

For the mothballed armies thing: I think the difference between armies and navies is the building time. I have to wait for one or two years to get a ship build. So just disbanding doesn´t work. So mothballing them - makes sense. For armies: It takes just a little time in comparison - so if I don´t want to pay for that army I could just disband it - and rebuild it if needed. Manpower wise it doesn´t make a difference, because the mothballed navies still need to refill. It´s just the time it takes to build. So mothballed armies sounds nice - but if it works like with the mothballed navies they have zero manpower in it anyway. What´s the point? The time it takes to refill is probably longer than rebuilding anything. No?

Naval slider vs. mothballing: Naval slider affects all navies and mothballing just just specific ones. Trade income and such...

Got to hurry up that HRE map proposition...

Anyway, I hope you guys haven't forgotten about the aesthetic/historical "mistakes" of the last two patches; map in particular. Maghreb, Poland and Iberia...

Most people try to GET 2 colonial nations in 1 region. First they are easier to manage for big regions like Mexico or Brazli, 2nd if both have 10 province you get 2 merchants.
And it's a balance issue. Colonial nations are supposed to become risky in the late game because their size gives them high liberty desire. This is especially true for very large colonial regions like Brazil or Mexico. Players shouldn't be able to sidestep the implosion of their new world colonial empire that way, let alone be rewarded with extra merchants for doing so.

Last edited:
As others have already mentioned, while I understand your reasoning regarding army mothballing, it would be reasonable to implement some different set of rules for mainland and colonial armies. Some kind of distinguishment already exists anyway, since we can have different colonial unit sprites. Having to maintain thousands of homeland troops just because of a few hundred dudes somewhere in the Americas is simply frustrating.

You should make it so when you integrate a vasal with a colonial nation that colonial nations in the same region are combined into one or you at least have the option to. For example, I'm in the middle of a Spanish game and I got a personal union with Portugal. I colonized the Carabean region and so did they so when I integrated Portugal, I had Caraibas and Spanish Cuba in the same region. I just looks messy.

Speaking of colonial nations, when you inherit a colonial nation from a PU partner, the colonial nation should be merged into the colonial nation in the region IF you already have one. So like, let’s say I have New Granada as my colonial nation, and my PU partner Portugal has Portuguese Colombia. If I integrate or inherit Portugal, Portuguese Colombia should be annexed into New Granada, because otherwise, it just makes two colonial nations and it’s really annoying to manage.

We could have an option to keep intact the colonial nations when inheriting their overlord or merge them into your existing CNs in the region they were in. It could be in the form of a pop-up message or an event. You could even set it to remember this setting from now on until you revoke it perhaps with a decision.

In fact, perhaps this could be a part of the new mechanic representing an institution overseeing the colonies that you make decisions through. It could be a separate tab in the country management. Or a sub-tab in the Subjects tab. This way, we could have something tangible as the Spanish Council of the Indies or British Board of Trade.

This would be probably really hard to implement, but giving us the ability to script our own actions for the macrobuilder would be really damn nice.

Allowing us to create an improve relations action which improves relations up to X (say, +25 for example) if possible and then changes to another country would be nice for preventing coalitions, for example.

I dont understand whats the problem with CN, isn't that the game about strange borders and odd things in history after all?
I would understand that overlord or CN can choose where CN can colonise, i don't understand why it should stick to artificial rules set by our irl history, not by our own version of history, that we are trying to create playing EU IV.

Diplo Macro Builder: I'm sure it has been raised before, but there should be an option to automatically improve the relations in your trade league (if you are part of one).
And perhaps improve relations to candidates for diplo vassalization?

And here are a couple of QoL suggestions I made in the forums in the past, and I still find them quite relevant:
Thank you again for your games, looking forward for these upcoming improvements!

I said it in the last thread and I'll say it again here: Please bring back boats (at the very least transports) for new world natives. There is absolutely no historical justification for them not to have boats but a ton of historical justification for them to have boats.
This was arbitrary, unnecessary and un-fun in the extreme.