EU4 - Development Diary - 14th of May 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Caligula Caesar

Stellaris Technical Scripter
Paradox Staff
63 Badges
Nov 1, 2014
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Welcome again to another EU4 Dev Diary. This week, I will be presenting a few of the German mission trees we have been working on that will come as paid content for those who buy the expansion that will accompany the large European update planned at the end of the year.

Our aim with the expansion is to provide the major powers of continental Europe (from Brest to Constantinople) with sizeable mission trees (15+ missions), adding to each country’s unique experience. These will be paid content. We also hope to (time permitting) add smaller, free mission trees of around 5-10 missions to various other interesting countries that, for one reason or another, we were unable to give full mission trees.

In the context of Germany (today, I speak of Germany in the modern sense of the word), Brandenburg-Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony have been given full mission trees, and we hope to add a few missions for the other regional formables (Franconia etc) and electors. I also hear @neondt has a soft spot for Dithmarschen, and certain other beloved minors may get some additions.

Now, onto those missions we’ve made.

NB: Most new missions presented have wip mission icons and will receive new ones before release.

Bavaria (available to Munich, Landshut, Ingolstadt and Bavaria)

Bavarian Missions.png

Bavaria already has a few free missions. These have been reworked a bit to reflect Bavaria’s new starting position and supplemented by a further 15 missions. In terms of conquests, the existing missions broadly focus on Bavaria’s historical gains over our time period, so the new missions go a bit further and represent the aims that a more successful Bavarian state may have had, giving you the chance to reclaim lands owned by the Bavarian stem duchy at its height (c. 975 AD) and various other territories the Wittelsbachs had once held (e.g. Brandenburg and the Netherlands). Furthermore, the new conquest mission tree includes the opportunity to request that the Emperor grant you the Palatinate’s elector status if you PU them (it also gives the appropriate CB to do so) and lets you set up your dynasty in Cologne.

Further branches of the new mission tree focus on developing your homelands and your nation’s capabilities, dealing with new ideas that might emerge among your subjects over the course of the game, and of course, assuming Bavaria’s rightful position among the states of Germany.

Saxony (available to Saxony and Thuringia)

Saxon Missions.png

Saxony had no country-unique missions. As one of the key powers of the HRE in the first half of our period, we decided to correct this and have added 16 new missions. The conquest missions focus, on the one hand, on avoiding the fragmentation with which they were beset in history and conquering lands that had once been part of the Saxon stem duchy (e.g. Brunswick, Westphalia), and on the other, on replicating the exploits of the likes of Frederick Augustus I, also known as Augustus II the Strong, who became the King of Poland-Lithuania as well as Prince-Elector of Saxony.

A further branch focuses on the prestige of the Prince-Elector and entails the foundation of Wittenberg University, winning the religious wars, spreading the dynasty far and wide (a branch of it still rules Britain under the name “Windsor”), and taking on the title of King.

Finally, the economic branch gives you the opportunity to change Dresden/Meissen’s trade good to porcelain, make Leipzig a centre of trade (it became an important commercial centre over this period) and industrialise Saxony.

Brandenburg-Prussia (available to Brandenburg and Prussia)

Brandenburg Missions.png

Like Bavaria, Brandenburg and Prussia already had a few missions. These have been incorporated into their new, larger mission tree, which focuses on the one hand on Prussia establishing itself as the preeminent German state, the unification Germany under them, and their conquests in the east; and on the other on replicating the feats of military organisation the Prussian state achieved in the 18th century, and generally on Prussia having the appearance as well as the military of a great power of Europe. Furthermore, in a tribute to alt-history, a couple of missions were dedicated to making a success of Brandenburg’s (historically abortive) colonial ambitions.

Note: The missions Army Reforms and An Army with a State only become available once Prussia is formed.

That’s it for today. Next week we’ll be back to map changes, with @Ofaloaf presenting the new-look Italy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Since @Caligula Caesar mentioned it, I've been working on a few missions for everyone's favourite peasant republic, Dithmarschen.

peasant missions.png

Note: the above missions will be a free feature of the upcoming European update.

In keeping with some of our earlier mission trees for minor nations such as Navarra and Tibet, the peasant republic has a challenging but rewarding set of goals. They'll need to begin by securing the protection of a benevolent Bishop before recruiting a band of egalitarian pirates, resisting the feudal lords of Germany, and fighting back against Danish aggression. Dithmarschen can then embark on a righteous quest to rid Europe of tyranny while also securing prosperity and equality for its people.

There's still a long time before the release of our European expansion, so do let us know if there are any other minor nations you think are deserving of a little extra love.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I would like to see missions for Lubeck (I woefully failed to finish my suggestion regarding those, perhaps I will find some time soon) and at least 2-3 generic missions for all Free Cities and bishoprics in HRE, to differentiate them a bit from the monarchies. Switzerland could also be a nice target for a mission tree.

Lubeckian missions would be a great addition!

That Bavarian mission 'deal with the Illuminati,' comes pretty early on in the tree. Given that the Illuminati weren't founded until the late eighteenth century (oh, sorry, I mean they were established as an off-shoot of the Templars and secretly control the banks and popular culture ohgodthesetheoriesareboring), isn't that the equivalent of starting France off with a mission 'deal with the philosophes?'

That is to say, shouldn't it be right down the bottom of the mission tree for the late game, not right up the top centuries early?

The requirements need the late game. Age of Absolutism or Enlightenment iirc, or maybe just the latter.

By the way, the term "Leitkultur" is very problematic in Germany because of recent political developments with a very right wing association, so you might want to rename that mission.

News to me, and I live in Germany!

What about Denmark, Norway and, most importantly, Sweden?

Scandinavia is outside the scope of this expansion unfortunately. We'd like to get around to mission trees for these nations eventually though.

Great job, what about Switzerland, Bohemia and Austria? Will their mission trees change? Will we see the Austria map the with Italy one, with the balkans one or will there be an Austria only dev diary?
Edit: also a mission tree for the Palatinate would be nice since it was a massively important country in the 30 years war (leader of the protestant league)

We've been working on rather a lot of new mission trees - don't take the lack of a spotlight to mean that they won't exist. Stay tuned for more :)

I LOVE YOU

<3

• 1Like
Reactions:
Re Bavarian minors - other Bavarian minors can form Bavaria and get Bavarian missions. The tree was made with specifically Wittelsbach (ducal) Bavaria in mind, so the fit for the others isn't 100% perfect, hence why they don't start with the missions, but it is totally doable for them to get them.

Isn't Prussia's government already DLC locked? (Common sense maybe?) Will you make those new missions available to the owners of that DLC? I understand that prussia is popular, but it feels like milking it 2 different ways.

We never require multiple DLC's to access mission content. If we have a cool idea that involves features or content from another DLC, we'll implement it but add a fallback scenario for players without that DLC. We're not looking to exclude anyone from accessing content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How assertive will the AI be in pursuing these missions?
Can we expect to see it for Prussia from Brandenburg more often?
AI always takes potential decision and mission unlocks into consideration for its strategy unless we explicitly tell it not to.
This is why you get things like Timurids/Afghanistan launching Indian raids to form Mughals for example.
There are exceptions for very complicated triggers but it understands "you need to own province X" perfectly.