• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 14th of February 2017

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV.

Today we’ll take a deep look at two new mechanics that are present when you play the Ashikaga Shogunate in next expansion, and also how the setup have changed.

Now you may wonder, where is Japan? Well, at the start of the game, there is no unified nation of Japan, and instead we have a Shogunate with Daimyo vassals.

If Ashikaga loses Kyoto, then they lose the Shogunate, and the Daimyo that conquers it, becomes the new Shogun.

Any nation that is a Daimyo, but is no longer a subject to the Shogun, will become an Independent Daimyo, a government form, that allows you to become an Empire.

Japan can be formed if you are the Shogun, and have at least 25 cities, or there are no daimyos left. A Daimyo can also form Japan if they are independent and there is no other daimyos around.

The first feature is mechanics tied to the Shogunate government form.

Each daimyo at peace reduces stability cost at 2% each to a maximum of 20% cheaper, and 0.1 yearly legitimacy up to a maximum of +1 yearly legitimacy.

There is a yearly prestige impact ranging from -1 to +1 depending on how isolated daimyos are compared to the Shogunate. We’ll talk more about isolationism when we discuss the Shintoism mechanics.

The Shogunate government itself lost the bonus to diplomatic relations, and instead gained a bonus diplomat. However, Daimyos no longer cost diplomatic upkeep.

Shogunates also have 3 abilities they can use from the government screen, for a mere cost of 20 legitimacy.

• Sword Hunt - reduces manpower and force-limits of all Daimyo subjects, while increasing the Shogun's manpower and force-limit.
  • Sankin Kotai – Reduced diplomatic relation slots of all Daimyo subjects by 1 and increases Shogun's diplomatic reputation by 3.
  • Forcibly expel Ronin – Lower all subject's liberty desire by 5%
eu4_16.png

Secondly, there are also five new subject interactions for a Shogunate to use on their Daimyo Vassals, all who require them to have a liberty desire of less than 50%.

• Force Seppuku - Current ruler in Daimyo dies, They will not start a war for the next ruler. (AI only) Can be done if the ruler have started a war with another daimyo. Shogun gains 5 x new rulers monarch power.
  • “Return Land” - On Daimyos that have an independent nation’s cores, force them to return that core.
  • Contribute to Capital - Gain 1 development in your capital, they lose 2 development in their lands. Can be done if they have more than 33% development of the Shogunate lands.
  • Conscript General- The Daimyo’s highest-pip general will be transferred to the overlord for +30 Liberty Desire. Blocked for heir and monarch generals.
  • Force isolation up/down - towards shogunate, increases LD by 25%.
eu4_17.png

Stay tuned for next week, when we’ll talk about how the tributary system will work...

Cheers for the DD Johan :). I'm not sure I entirely follow just from reading the DD, but the impression I get is "lots of cool mechanics for playing in Japan", and that's enough for me :D. Is the next expansion going to be called Sengoku by any chance? ;).

Hope they get well soon.

Although I'm glad to hear that Shinto is getting a rework and that the shogunate is now tied to Kyoto rather than the entirety of the 1444 Ashikaga lands, I am concerned that you're giving the Ashikaga way too much power. The Shogunate could not, realistically, have enforced some of those orders until at least the Hideyoshi days.

Plus, the "return unlawful territory" thing makes the HRE a lot more irritating and is very un-Sengoku-ish (do you really think that the bloody Ashikaga could have intervened in the Sengoku period and forced the Takeda to give up Shinano, for example?!). At least it only applies to cores of daimyo which still have territory.

The goal should have been to make sure that most games end without Ashikaga dominance, not with it!

Although I'm glad to hear that Shinto is getting a rework and that the shogunate is now tied to Kyoto rather than the entirety of the 1444 Ashikaga lands, I am concerned that you're giving the Ashikaga way too much power. The Shogunate could not, realistically, have enforced some of those orders until at least the Hideyoshi days.
I'd guess it's a necessary abstraction, because it would be too hard/tiresome to create a way for only particualr shogunates to use all these powers... unless they were to add yet another "x authority" mechanic based on which "the shogun's abilities" would be unlocked.

I mean, China and Japan seem to be another HREs by this point anyways.

Although I'm glad to hear that Shinto is getting a rework and that the shogunate is now tied to Kyoto rather than the entirety of the 1444 Ashikaga lands

Without getting into the matter of how weak Imperial power should be, that's something I've scratched my head about specifically. The shogunate has been cut down to one province, okay, but what's the justification? The extent of Ashikaga lands to my knowledge are much better represented in the current version of the game, or am I wrong? I could see it being purely a matter of gameplay reasons, but perhaps something should be done to give the Ashikaga special authority/control/revenue from lands they historically controlled at the start date.

Point is, Japan should be leaving the EU4 time period with a lot of development, not draining it over the timespan.
Maintaining the Shogunate would mean up to ten daimyos staying around for the whole campaign. Ten tags developing land is better than one, even if the subject interaction drains some development from the biggest vassals.

Without getting into the matter of how weak Imperial power should be, that's something I've scratched my head about specifically. The shogunate has been cut down to one province, okay, but what's the justification? The extent of Ashikaga lands to my knowledge are much better represented in the current version of the game, or am I wrong? I could see it being purely a matter of gameplay reasons, but perhaps something should be done to give the Ashikaga special authority/control/revenue from lands they historically controlled at the start date.

But I still see at least 2 Ashikaga provinces in the screenshot.

This can't be complete. There has to be some kind of cost for Shogun, or you just do it for EVERY Daimyo you ever have, they will never fight and Shogun swims in MP.
Starting with like 15 Daimyos, each giving ~15MP, every ~20-40 years seems totally ridiculous.

Or am i missing something? xD
Are you forgetting the 20 legitimacy per click? You can kill 5 monarch before being at 0 legitimacy. In addition to whatever effects that already has, it is also simply a cap on your ability to click the button. At max prestige, max Power Projection and with Japanese NI, you're still going to get only +3.5 legitimacy back per year. Assuming no other sources of legitimacy, that's a dead Daimyo every 5.7 years. You'll get ~15 MP every 5.7 years, and averageLifeSpanOfRuler/5.7 Daimyos not going to war per year..

Absolutely amazing, I've been waiting for this since EUIV got released.

So, do we get to play a multiplayer Japan only EUIV game at next ParadoxCon?

I get it, the Asian region was in dire need of changes and these so far all look good.

However, for those players who have no interest playing in Asia, either because reasons or having already played several times there, what will the new update and DLC bring to players who traditionally play in any of the other continents ?

Are there any major new mechanics apart from enlightenment that will impact all players and not just in Asia ?

Are you forgetting the 20 legitimacy per click? You can kill 5 monarch before being at 0 legitimacy. In addition to whatever effects that already has, it is also simply a cap on your ability to click the button. At max prestige, max Power Projection and with Japanese NI, you're still going to get only +3.5 legitimacy back per year. Assuming no other sources of legitimacy, that's a dead Daimyo every 5.7 years. You'll get ~15 MP every 5.7 years, and averageLifeSpanOfRuler/5.7 Daimyos not going to war per year..

20 Legitimacy is for the 3 shogun abilites. Force Seppuku is a subject interaction (so is more likely to cost LD or prestige)

Is it possible for Ainu or Ryukyu to form Japan?

I'd guess it's a necessary abstraction, because it would be too hard/tiresome to create a way for only particualr shogunates to use all these powers... unless they were to add yet another "x authority" mechanic based on which "the shogun's abilities" would be unlocked.
Eh, could make it so it's only usable in certain Ages...or at the very least not usable in the starting Age. Doesn't tie it to a particular shogunate, but does ensure it'll take some time to be able to use it.
I don't know enough about Japan's history to have an opinion either way, but it's an option.

Well, if you make some change to trade routes, enabling centrilising east asian trade in Japan without going through chinese TC it might be worth playng.

I get it, the Asian region was in dire need of changes and these so far all look good.

However, for those players who have no interest playing in Asia, either because reasons or having already played several times there, what will the new update and DLC bring to players who traditionally play in any of the other continents ?

Are there any major new mechanics apart from enlightenment that will impact all players and not just in Asia ?
Yes. Prosperity/Devastation, Ages, Absolutism, and new state mechanics. You should read the dev diaries from December 6th onward: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ssacks-and-beyond-development-diaries.877170/