• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 14th of April 2020

Good morning! We’ve talked about Imperial Incidents in previous dev diaries, and since then the design and UI has been refined quite a lot. Today I’ll be revealing two more Imperial Incidents as well as changes to the Great Peasants’ War.

Decline of the Hanseatic League

hansaincident.png

The EUIV period saw the Hanseatic League fall from the dominant commercial power in Northern Europe to a minor clique of merchant guilds. If Lubeck loses its dominance in its home trade node after the Age of Discovery, they will receive an event where they can choose to petition the Emperor for aid. This triggers an Imperial Incident in which the Emperor has three options:

1. Ignore the plight of the Hanseatic League. The Emperor gets a harsh opinion penalty with Lubeck and its League members.
  2. Reinforce the Hanseatic League by asking the Free Cities of the Empire to join. All Free Cities are promoted to join the Hanseatic League, and each one that joins gives Imperial Authority to the Emperor. Lubeck and its League members will appreciate this.
  3. Proclaim an Embargo against the League’s rival. The dominant power in the Lubeck node gets reduced trade power in several trade nodes, and the Emperor gets an opinion bonus with Lubeck and its League members.

The Reformers Protest

reformedincident.png

The Reformers Protest is an Imperial Incident that fires after the Protestant League is victorious in the League War if Reformed countries make up a sufficiently large portion of the total number of Princes in the Empire.

This Incident inducts the new Protestant Emperor into their new role by forcing them into a major decision. The Emperor has three options:

1. Refuse to make any compromise and protect the hard-won victory of the Protestant League. Choosing this option will prompt all Reformed Princes to reconsider their membership in the Empire, with larger AI nations being much more likely to leave than smaller AI nations.
  2. Set Religious Peace in the Empire. Protestant will no longer be the official faith of the Empire. Emperors and electors can now be of any Christian religion. This will satisfy the Reformed Princes, but also makes it possible for the Catholics to return to power in the future.
  3. Abdicate the Imperial throne and proclaim the Reformed faith to be the official religion of the Empire. An AI Emperor will only pick this option if they have been reduced to a single province, or if they have less than 50 warscore against a Reformed Prince.
Great Peasants' War - Again!

dtt_incident.png

I first talked in detail about the Great Peasants’ War in October, but since then we’ve decided to expand on it to give more agency to players with an interest in either side of the conflict. Here are the most significant changes we made:

• The Emperor can now use the Crush the Peasantry CB while the GPW is ongoing, and can target any Peasant Republic in the HRE regardless of border distance. This allows the Emperor to actively take the fight to the peasants.
  • Added new Peasant Revolt CB for Peasant Republics. It is usable during the GPW. It can also be used after the GPW if the peasantry manage to enforce their demands on the Emperor. This CB allows you to force other HRE Princes to become Peasant Republics, giving agency to the peasant side of the conflict.
  • Added decisions for both the Emperor and Peasant Republics to end the GPW early and trigger the Imperial Incident if they accumulate enough score for their side. Tooltips on this decision will show the current score.
  • When a newly-formed Peasant Republic is forced to change their government during the GPW, the total score is moved in favour of the aristocracy.
  • Score is added to the peasant side when a Prince becomes a Peasant Republic during the GPW regardless of how it happened.

A Message from our Artist and our UX Designer

A valued and talented team member, our artist, is leaving us today to work on another PDS project. As it was their last day, I asked if there was anything they'd like to share with the community before their departure. This was their response:

The feature that our artist enjoyed the most was probably working with the Hegemon icons. The shape and visuals for them are something new but still holds that EU4 spirit in them. The favorite is of course the naval icon with the fabulous unicorn.

hegemon.png

Other things they loved to work on was making the new bg for the settings screen. It now speaks unity and actually… makes sense?

The HRE windows and pop-up was of course a challenge but thanks to our UX designer they made the interface work and look beautiful as well! Look at those curtains, so smooth.

Our artist also wants to add that “At the end of the day it’s always been so nice to see the reactions to the new stuff we add or update and what you, the community enjoy to see from us and what makes your heart tick with joy when it comes to Europa Universalis 4”

As our UX designer’s last day on the project, they'd like to share the process behind the new HRE screen:

“The HRE was my favorite to work on, because it was a big challenge.

I always start exploring ideas, different layouts and how to display the information. After a few iterations, we decided to move on with the 3rd idea."

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 09.37.33.png

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 09.38.03.png

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 09.38.33.png

3 different layouts and explorations

As we started developing, we realized that the initial idea for incidents -beautiful and fancy tapestry- was not clear enough. So we decided to go on with buttons instead.

Because of that the entire layout needed to change, as we didn’t need all that space for incidents.

To show a new idea to the team, I did a simple wireframe, moving the reforms to the upper part and incidents down. Also decided to display imperial authority and dominant faith in a clearer way.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 09.39.11 (1).png

Wireframe to discuss with the team

mockup with dlc.png

Mockup based on the wireframe

And finally, for the last iteration, we noticed that the numbers inside the buttons were not clear and didn’t help players to make a decision. To solve that, I suggested using an icon representing what kind of decision was that and added the numbers of supporters.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 09.26.02.png

Last mockup

“It was an honor to be part of EU4 and hope you all enjoy Emperor!”

We all wish both our artist and our UX Designer the best of luck in the future, and we're sure they'll go on to do great things at PDS.

That’s all for today! Next week Groogy will talk about a new feature coming in Emperor as well as a very cool feature for Custom Nations. And since I’m here I’ll also reveal that the much-anticipated Hussite/Bohemia dev diary is scheduled for the week after next. Hope you all have a great week!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Cossacks: 0 historical events, 1 estate disaster, generic revolting estate country. New random tag with random flag that often makes no sense. No mission tree. Flavor feature of (recently reworked) DLC.

GPW: interesting event chain tied to the whole thing. Unique tag and unique mission tree. A small fraction of DLC.

Joke: they are likely to cost the same price.

Why? Why one thing is featured and other is not? Both are quite recent.

So...you lost your last artist/UX designer? Are you getting a new one? Is EUIV over? Is Groogey going back to making art? Are you beginning to feel like the guy from Moon?

So many questions!

(also, I now want to play as a Peasant republic :>)

If Reformed becomes official religion of HRE will it get all the bonuses, including the triggered modifier that the victorious religion gets?

Is there an option for Hussite/Anglican (official, not via religious peace) HRE? Also, Orthodox/Coptic for completion.

The Hanseatic incident does seem a bit bare-bones.

As in, there were plenty of Imperial factions opposed to the Hanse, and the League itself to boot was disunited; the Hollandic/Zeelandic war with the Hanse in the 1440's had half the League supporting the Hollanders (the Zuiderzee cities) or quietly standing aside (the Rhenish & Prussian cities, plus Bremen). Those together would probably represent an Imperial faction weaker than the Hanse, sure, but not enormously (and of course the Danes were there too).

It would be far more interesting if this all interlocked; supporting the Hanse here making it harder to support Burgundy-as-independent during the Burgundian incident, and if both the Hanse is supported and Burgundy effectively collapsed during its incident, making the Dutch more likely to revolt from the Empire which has repeatedly failed them.

If, instead, the Hanse is left to die and Burgundy becomes a Flemish-Dutch kingdom inside the HRE, perhaps the Dutch estates will be more likely to keep their (nominal) allegiance to the Empire, even if they somehow overthrow the Burgundian government.

I'm liking a lot this Dev diaries, but I really don't understand one thing about the Hanseatic League disaster: why the Emperor should not always choose the second option? (Reinforce the Hanseatic League by asking the Free Cities of the Empire to join)

I mean, I can understand that "maybe" if the Emperor has some Free cities/ Lubeck as Rival he could pick the first option (Ignore the plight of the Hanseatic League. The Emperor gets a harsh opinion penalty with Lubeck and its League members.), but this is a really really rare case (usually the Emperor is big enough to ignore lubeck, and for sure he is usually friend with the Free Cities and not enemy), and I still don't get why somebody should pick the third option (Proclaim an Embargo against the League’s rival.).
The second option is clearly better for the HRE stability and its progression through the reforms, it doesn't seem a real choice for me...

Proclaim an Embargo against the League’s rival. The dominant power in the Lubeck node gets reduced trade power in several trade nodes, and the Emperor gets an opinion bonus with Lubeck and its League members.

What happens if the dominant power in the Lubeck node turns out to be the emperor?

The Reformers Protest is an Imperial Incident that fires after the Protestant League is victorious in the League War if Reformed countries make up a sufficiently large portion of the total number of Princes in the Empire.

This Incident inducts the new Protestant Emperor into their new role by forcing them into a major decision. The Emperor has three options:

1. Refuse to make any compromise and protect the hard-won victory of the Protestant League. Choosing this option will prompt all Reformed Princes to reconsider their membership in the Empire, with larger AI nations being much more likely to leave than smaller AI nations.
  2. Set Religious Peace in the Empire. Protestant will no longer be the official faith of the Empire. Emperors and electors can now be of any Christian religion. This will satisfy the Reformed Princes, but also makes it possible for the Catholics to return to power in the future.
  3. Abdicate the Imperial throne and proclaim the Reformed faith to be the official religion of the Empire. An AI Emperor will only pick this option if they have been reduced to a single province, or if they have less than 50 warscore against a Reformed Prince.
So you're saying we no longer need the Peace of Westphalia to have an Orthodox, Hussite, Anglican, Coptic, or Reformed Emperor? And that at least some people can have the religious war victory objective for the age of absolutism while still obtaining Religious Peace? Praise Be!

So...you lost your last artist/UX designer? Are you getting a new one? Is EUIV over? Is Groogey going back to making art? Are you beginning to feel like the guy from Moon?

So many questions!

(also, I now want to play as a Peasant republic :>)

It's normal at Paradox that people move between projects since we have so many projects simultaneously being worked on. I for example while I worked on CK2 was borrowed by EU4 and HOI4 occasionally. I've worked on a lot of our projects and been moved around myself :)

The Reformers Protest

index.php

The more im thinking about this the more questions I have.

This seems rather bad.

It further creates a seperation between protestant, reformed and Anglican. Not starting on Hussite, but yeah they could be considered some form of Protestantism.

Should there not be an incident about the Imperial Diet of Worms?

Maybe an event afterwards where lutheran countries can kidnap Luther and let him write a german version of the Bible. Like Frederick of Saxony did?

Furthermore this all led to decades of uprisings and rhe creation of leagues and councils.

But in the Peace of Augsburg they settled on Lutheran and Catholic princes.

Should the reformed incident not happen here?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Augsburg

Perhaps there also needs to be a distinction between early Reformation Conflicts and later 30 years war conflict.