• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of October 2020

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Sadly Groogy is sick so we have to shuffle around our planning a bit and give you something that was not originally planned for today.

Today we’ll talk a little bit about what we are doing with Diplomacy for the expansion that is accompanying the 1.31 patch, as it's one of the major areas of it.

First of all, the concept of favors, which was introduced in The Cossacks, is now also unlocked by this expansion, as it will become far more used than just using it to get your allies to join you in offensive wars. More on that in later development diaries.

Secondly, we also changed how the favors were calculated, so instead of having a chance of getting a favor once a year, you now get favors overtime, depending on the same factors as impacted the chance of getting a favor before, ie the relative military power.

Finally, this new expansion will see a new diplomatic action called “Curry Favors”. This requires an active diplomat, and will slowly increase the amount of favors you have with them, depending on your diplomatic reputation and the target's opinion of you.

eu4_13.png

You will slowly lose favors over time with nations that are not your allies, nor you attempting to curry favors with.

As this was a rather short development diary, I’m adding a screenshot showing one of the events you can get if you have the horde ideagroup set.

eu4_14.png

Hopefully Groogy is back next week to write his development diary on Hedgehogs!

• 91Like
  • 20Love
Reactions:
So it is finally confirmed that there will be an expansion.

• 42Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Aren't favours already calculated overtime rather than by chance?

I.e. you gain 1 favour every 1/2/3 years right now? Seems pretty linear already

• 10Like
Reactions:
oh no - that is really not that long. But the curry favors option could be a nice addition - esp. for starting as a smaller nation that really need that big buddy to help out... :) But we still have to see, what "more" favor can bring us.

So you now revealed, that 1.31 will an Expansion rather than a free update?
(I thought first there would be a region specific free update like the SEA Update - the last time you talked about DLC structure you said: Expansion, free patch, immersion DLC, free patch?)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Sounds very interesting. EU4 already have maybe the deepest diplomacy game of alle PDX-games, but I always enjoy having more tools to play the big geopolitical diplo game, so I am really intrigued :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
As this was a rather short development diary, I’m adding a screenshot showing one of the events you can get if you have the horde ideagroup set.

View attachment 640922
For the record: are Horde and Theocratic idea group strictly only for Hordes and Theocracies? I'm asking because e.g. Plutocratic Idea Group can be used by Monarchies that have Plutocracy reform. I would imagine it could be reasonable to have some cases where e.g. a Feudal Theocracy would use divine ideas (would need a replacement effect from devotion idea).

• 5Like
Reactions:

Yeha but this seems like you can now get favors even with nations you aren't allied with.

Reactions:

eu4_14.png
That's a curious alert to have as a Horde.
By the way, are there any new changes coming for tributaries? Or maybe AI behaviour on tributaries?

• 5Like
Reactions:
oh no - that is really not that long. But the curry favors option could be a nice addition - esp. for starting as a smaller nation that really need that big buddy to help out... :) But we still have to see, what "more" favor can bring us.

So you now revealed, that 1.31 will an Expansion rather than a free update?
(I thought first there would be a region specific free update like the SEA Update - the last time you talked about DLC structure you said: Expansion, free patch, immersion DLC, free patch?)
Probably Corona and the new studio interrupted their release cycle forcing them to combine the free patch with the expension.

Reactions:
Secondly, we also changed how the favors were calculated, so instead of having a chance of getting a favor once a year, you now get favors overtime, depending on the same factors as impacted the chance of getting a favor before, ie the relative military power.
Is this mean you'll get one favor for every 6 months instead of 2 each year?

• 6Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Is it just me or do Uzebek's borders and provinces look different? Maybe thats from an earlier patch but I distinctly remember the Sibir area looking more jagged and less rounded off than that, it also seems to push into Oirat more.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is this mean you'll get one favor for every 6 months instead of 2 each year?

I assume it means you gain them steadily like how the diplomat is doing in the screenshot - assuming they just have one system for 'favor gain' that the diplomat can influence.

I think he means 'chance' like how right now if you gain one every 3 years you have a 33% chance to gain one on any particular year. It's an interesting way to phrase it but that's the only way I can make it make sense.

Reactions: